I got a call from a friend

Larry

I got a call from a friend who doesn’t hunt, his son is marrying into a family that hunts. His son hunted last year and likes it. he wants to know what kind of gun to buy. He wants to go buy his own. The 3 of us went to lunch and here’s what I suggested.

If your new to hunting and want to hunt everything that can be hunted in NY. I would buy a 12ga shotgun with 2 barrels one bird barrel and the other a fully rifled deer barrel with a good scope on it. Then you can hunt big and small game and birds. That’s what I would do if I could only afford one gun.

If you are only hunting deer and are where you can use a rifle. I would first look at what action I want to use. I told them the most popular is the bolt and then the lever action. Then you have to look at calibers and how available the ammo is. Here’s what I suggested in bolt action. Nothing smaller than a .243 I have a 6mm rem and it’s killed every deer I shot with it. Then I went up to the 6.5 Creedmoor I was impressed with it on the deer I shot with it last year. Next, I went to the 7mm-08 one of the best deer cartridges out there. Last was the 308 you can’t go wrong with that. I told them I would go with the 7mm-08 or the 308.

In a lever gun even though my go to deer gun is the 444marlin I didn’t recommend it. It’s hard to get ammo. I told them there are only 4 calibers I would use in a lever gun the 30-30, 35rem., 44mag and the 45-70. I told him if you go with a lever gun, I would go with the 35 rem. With a 200gr ftx.

Just wondering what you guys think

• Like 6

There is a myriad of firearms and calibers available to hunt with, the advice you gave for a new hunter just starting out is solid as far as I am concerned and he would do well to follow it.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I won my 7mm-08 at a gun raffle four years ago and it has become my go to deer rifle. My .270 and .308 are great but I don’t find myself grabbing them as much.

I do want to get a lever 30-30 someday, the history of that caliber just makes me itch to take down a deer with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Your advice was solid Larry. They did right by asking someone with your experience.

Whatever he ends up buying, the best thing he can do as a newer hunter, is to shoot that gun, then shoot it some more! Learn it intimately. Take it down, and clean it thoroughly.  Know when the trigger breaks. Find that sweet spot on the stock for your cheek. If a scope is used find the eye relief. Shoot various distances. Rested and freehand. Build confidence in that firearm. Know, you'll hit where you aim. Safety above all else!

Having mentored a few new hunters. This is the advice I give after they have their first firearm.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ridgerunner88 said:

I won my 7mm-08 at a gun raffle four years ago and it has become my go to deer rifle. My .270 and .308 are great but I don’t find myself grabbing them as much.

I do want to get a lever 30-30 someday, the history of that caliber just makes me itch to take down a deer with it!

7mm-08 is just about the perfect deer caliber. 

• Like 2

I agree with grampy, that your advice was spot on.  If in a rifle area, where longer shots are the norm, flip a coin between a bolt action 7mm-08 or a .308.  

If in a wooded/hilly area, where shorter shots are the norm, flip a coin between a 30/30 or .35 Rem in a lever.  Lots of good choices today in bolt actions but my pick for the lever would be the new Ruger/Marlin 336 in .30/30.   I suspect that will be the easiest, of the options you mentioned, to find ammo for in the long run.   

If in a shotgun area, then the 12 or 20 ga pump with two barrels as you described, is ideal.  

Last year he used a 30-30 with open sights he didn't shoot but saw deer. He's looking at 7-08/308 he may pick it up in the next week or two. I told him if he needs a place to shoot he can go to the club with me and I would help him sight it in.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I've been shooting my Winchester 30 30 iron sights since 1974 , never failed me yet ! Just sayin !

Hopefully, I will finally get a crack at a deer with my .30/30 lever this year.  I am dying to see how it performs on them.  I have only shot at 3 deer with a rifle (my 30/06 bolt action) and all 3 were DRT.

That gun is just too big and heavy to lug around the Adirondacks where I mostly rifle hunt these days.  The .30/30 levers are sweet to carry up there.  My 2 home spots are shotgun only.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ridgerunner88 said:

I picked up a Henry 30 30 a few years and shot a few deer with it so far ,it does a wonderful job.

I picked up a Henry 30 30 a few years and shot a few deer with it so far ,it does a wonderful job.
My favorite deer rifle is my 30/30. In fact I sold all but my 30/06 since I just carry it most Everytime. Then take the 06 when I am in a stand that has longer shots 200+

I use the Hornady lever revolution. My old 94 Winchester seems to like it.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

My favorite deer rifle is my 30/30. In fact I sold all but my 30/06 since I just carry it most Everytime. Then take the 06 when I am in a stand that has longer shots 200+

I use the Hornady lever revolution. My old 94 Winchester seems to like it.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

My first Adirondack buck was a 300 yardish shot, from a ridge to a creek-bottom, with my Ruger M77 30/06.  That area is all overgrown now, so I probably won’t carry that heavy, long rifle up here again.   I likely won’t hunt with it anymore, unless I do another western elk or Canada Moose trip, after I retire.  

I suppose, if 30/30 ammo becomes unavailable, I could press it into service again, for Adirondack deer and bear.  I am pretty well stocked with 30/06 ammo.  

1st Adirondack buck:

3D17E27B-9A0F-4615-9737-CB4D70321830.thumb.jpeg.d7be7e6e4ee91f105643c18e0df34a11.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2