Official 2022 Fall Plots Thread

Made some progress. Used my tine tiller to “bale” hay haha. Then I mowed and I’m feeling a little better. Going to spray once more maybe next week and then pray and hope for rain and a day to plant over the following 2 weeks. I’d rather get it in later then too early and have them die from lack of rain and heat.

Spring plot got mowed for the second time and is looking great.

IMG_1965.thumb.JPEG.99a41416505fbac3fe6febf28a70805f.JPEG

IMG_1966.thumb.JPEG.9f40165ecced989674485acf73477b53.JPEG

IMG_1968.thumb.JPEG.c73063c1b5afcfdf173ab67fe00ffa84.JPEG

IMG_1970.thumb.JPEG.76db4da162a78b472925bd0ad80a35ee.JPEG

Edited by Belo
  • Like 7

On 7/29/2022 at 8:06 PM, Belo said:

So I need some advice. My fall plot had some spring growth probably 4-5' high. This wasn't the plan but it happened and I have to live with it. It was mowed about 4 weeks ago and now there's a thick layer of decomposing "hay". I sprayed last week and as you can see by the pics the spray is doing well. I don't have a tractor and I can till about 4" deep with my utv disc setup which is just fine for soil and seed contact... however with this much "shit" on top i'm worried the seed don't get to the soil. I disc'd today and will spray again in a week or so and disc some more but what do I do with all this "hay"? Worry about it or no?

PS I have a cultipacker to push stuff down.

IMG_1958.thumb.JPEG.67d91ef021cb725921604683d1756d90.JPEGIMG_1959.thumb.JPEG.6eed5776c93af1fc6317d67a0273b997.JPEG

IMG_1960.thumb.JPEG.c0916e4d809c1cda2058efe3ea9992be.JPEG

If its just a "laying" Layer of cut grasses you can seed into it with ease. a steady rain will push any seed that didnt fall to the ground. Seed and run your cultipack over it before you leave. You can also do a light till or drag if need be but that layer is actually good for your soil. ITs protecting it and it will also protect your seeds as well as hold moisture in when its present. Several ways to go about this. Just depends on your available time and desire.. lol. You dont need a tilled bed of soil to plant tiny little seeds. Just remember that.  Bene doing "half a44ed or Poor mans" plots for years. As well as conventional tilling or disking.. IT all works the same 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, corydd7 said:

I use this behind my atv and have no issue just need to make circles. It does beat on the atv but I've never broke anything in five years. I use to add weight but I don't bother anymore, it works fine as is. The most important thing is to make circles tight, going in straight lines it won't do much at all.

I started powerplant three weeks ago and I'm happy with the progress even with the lack of rain and no fertilizer (was a clover plot so nitrogen should be good) this year. I top seeded the plot today with beets and greens. I tried this a couple years ago and had by far the best results of any food plot I've grown. Deer browse the beans and it allows full growth for the brassicas and saves them into late season.  Just need se rain Tuesday fingers crossed. Only a half acre but the tonnage provided supports lots of deer.

Screenshot_20220731-113651_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220731-113747_Messages.jpg

I have the same one as well. Definitely have to do circles to get aggressive. Just keep an eye on your bearings it will eat them up doing circles. I like to add weight on mine and just zig zag your way down and back.. just to lightly scuff up the soil. 

slight chance for rain tmrw AM but thurs thru sunday its between 40% and 60% every day in 7m
Been eyeing that forecast hard. Tomorrow looked like a good rain a few days ago but not much now. Gonna stop at land tomorrow and cover seed with the grasses I cut to hold in some water from the dew.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, corydd7 said:

Anyone have insight into triticale? I know it's a hybrid but I'm looking for positive or negative experiences. 

Picked a bag up yesterday the co-op didn't have wheat or rye.

Triticale is good stuff.  Very winter hardy.  I have seen it hold up well into winter.  A few years back a potato farmer planted some across from my mother's house.  When we went there on Christmas there were 9 deer feeding in it.  I will say it might not be super attractive until late season.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, corydd7 said:

Anyone have insight into triticale? I know it's a hybrid but I'm looking for positive or negative experiences. 

Picked a bag up yesterday the co-op didn't have wheat or rye.

Good forage prefered over rye but seed heads have " spikes"  on them so deer dont eat .may want to plow it down in spring i usually let my wheat or rye go to seed as turkey and deer eat the heads. 

• Like 1

I finished a 1/2 acre turnip plot this afternoon.  It’s been a long time since I used “buck on bag” stuff, but the price was right, so I gave it a try.

My new (to me) Durango worked well for hauling fertilizer, spreader, seed, and cultipacker back to the far corner.    I went a little light on the seed and heavy on the fertilizer, because brassicas always do better for me, when I do that.

1AE7B03A-09D4-41CC-B679-35182CD70186.thumb.jpeg.b4f7abde798abdc3cc95cc8c7bf5e86c.jpeg

A3F2B2B2-1F7F-48ED-A8C3-1E132F30E10D.thumb.jpeg.fa315b3090604f12b6698c38424ca6db.jpeg

AE18D919-62BB-4E28-BD06-E8E66F66799A.thumb.jpeg.489446b81c61ebad6c69a06b63d3ce2e.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SportsmanNH said:

Wolc  I think you got the better part of that deal trading that old camper for the Durango for sure

Time will tell.  So far it’s running good.  It only had a bit over a quarter tank of gas in it, when he dropped it off.  I will definitely need to add more of that soon, as it’s now approaching 1/8 .  

I’ll pick up one of those $15 Autozone knife switches for it, so I don’t have to keep disconnecting the battery terminal to keep it from drawing down when turned off.    It sucks to have to keep resetting the radio station every time.  The knife switch won’t eliminate that issue.  

The AC don’t work, which would have been nice yesterday.  He said it had plenty of refrigerant, but the aftermarket fan unit quit after about a month.    The hitch reciever is a little bit rusted closed.   I had to use a big hammer to drive in the 2” ball holder, far enough to get the pin thru.   I am thankful that all (4) tires are holding air.

it sure does have nice riding, long travel suspension , compared to most of the other field cars I have had.  

i was just south of your property in the viallage at 5pm down poured for like 30mins.
Needed that badly. I have tomorrow off and looks like the morn isn't too bad might get another plot in.

Hope you didn't have to take the thruway. Wow it was backed up for miles.

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Needed that badly. I have tomorrow off and looks like the morn isn't too bad might get another plot in.

Hope you didn't have to take the thruway. Wow it was backed up for miles.

nope but I saw it all backed up........next week got to spray two small plots get them ready for my grain to plant end of month....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Just a wet drizzle here in 7f Cayuga county.   Drove in from Empire Farm days in Pompeii where they were getting some good rain and the more north I went the more petered out. Hmmmm

It's spotty down here too.....In Campbell they had 2+ inches early this afternoon.... Just 10 miles south in Dogpatch, we had less than 1/2"........................