Good reason to stop smoking

josephmrtn

I believe i have finally kicked the habit , i didn't smoke alot but i got to the point where any amount was to much , i had failed to quit many times but i am a week away from 9 months with no cigs . It made hunting season more enjoyable because im not looking for reasons to sneak a smoke and then smell like crap the rest of the day .

Lets see, Im gonna be at 4 years in August. You can throw stuff like this in peoples faces till you turn blue, but it doesnt do much good. You have to want to quit, its that simple. I smoked from the age of 15 until I was 33, and knew it was bad for me. I had family members die of Emphazema, etc in that time. Didnt affect me or sway me at the time. Im not sure I could really put my finger on the exact reason I stopped, I was just done with it. I put the cigs down one day, used the patch for a month and said to heck with those too. Havent had a drag since. I dont miss it one bit.

• Like 1

I use to smoke a pack a day for 9 years.  Smokers know exactly what they're doing to their bodies, it still won't stop them from quitting.  It took me 8 tries to quit.  I finally got it in the end with the help of wellbutrin and bupropion.  Best decision I ever made.

It amazes me people need a good reason to quit smoking, but don't need any reason to start smoking.  Addictions are tough, but if they're deadly, you aren't wise to keep doing it.  Maybe if Marlboro offered a free coffin in their catalog after 1,000,000 miles, people would get the point.

I could tell you first hand to stop smoking, or never start. The pain that comes with cancer diagnosis,  chemotherapy, and surgeries affects every family member besides yourself. I had surgery this past January to have my upper left lung lobe removed, and spent 9 days in the hospital afterwards. I am lucky so far at this point that I didn't need chemo after surgery, and scan 3 weeks ago shows no sign of cancer return. But I am out of work because of side effects caused by cancer, and now rely on social security disability to get by, and it means big change in lifestyle from what I was used too. But at least I am here to celebrate my birthday today with my family members. Alot of people won't even get that chance after lung cancer diagnosis caused by smoking becasuse it comes to late. My advice is to quit, its been 7 years since I quit. The pic is of scars left from surgery to remove lung.

post-2675-0-79214100-1369127930_thumb.jp

This thread reminds me of those disgusting ads that they insist on putting on TV..... usually right around suppertime. You know the ones where they show this pathetic looking lady whose face is all mangled up from cancer surgery or the one where you have to listen to "X" number of minutes of some guy wheezing and coughing. What the hell is the matter with these people. These people have absolutely no class or taste forcing such stuff on the entire population in some kind of false notion that these ads will stop someone from smoking. All it really does is gross everyone else out. I've got 5 years smoke-free, and choosing to quit had nothing to do with any incessant parade of gross disgusting images being posted on my TV set. Where does all this crap end .... Are we going to be looking at open-heart surgery showing the dangers of obesity. Or how about some nice pictures of someone with diabetes having a leg chopped off. That all would make lovely pre-supper viewing.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of those disgusting ads that they insist on putting on TV..... usually right around suppertime. You know the ones where they show this pathetic looking lady whose face is all mangled up from cancer surgery or the one where you have to listen to "X" number of minutes of some guy wheezing and coughing. What the hell is the matter with these people. These people have absolutely no class or taste forcing such stuff on the entire population in some kind of false notion that these ads will stop someone from smoking. All it really does is gross everyone else out. I've got 5 years smoke-free, and choosing to quit had nothing to do with any incessant parade of gross disgusting images being posted on my TV set. Where does all this crap end .... Are we going to be looking at open-heart surgery showing the dangers of obesity. Or how about some nice pictures of someone with diabetes having a leg chopped off. That all would make lovely pre-supper viewing.

If these adds even help one person to quit, or scares them from even starting, then they did what they were intended for. And I asked my doctors at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo if these adds are effective, and they confirmed thru surveys with patients and the general public that they played a big part in people quitting. These people have class, and they do feel if they can help stop cancer, it is worth it even if people get offended. Some people need alot of different ways and means to quit, and this is one of them. Everyone is different. "I've been there and done that" as they say. And when I quit, it was because of the 5 stents that when into my cardiac artaries and the pictures of the damage that had been done by smoking. So yeah, these ads are effective in getting people to quit. It might be that extra push they need. This life saved could be someone you know.

5 months for me.........

Chewed many years ago, probably from about '79 until '92?? or so.

Smoked cigars from about 1976 (age 15) until January 2013.  37 years of serious enjoyment.  I quit when I was diagnosed with Barrett's disease in January.

I did have 4 one weekend in March while out of town but they tasted like shiit anyway.

So far, so good.

• Like 1

I quit about 25 years ago and it was not easy.  People who say "just quit" don't realize that its not that easy. But once you get it in your head to quit, you will. For me it was a battle for the first 2 weeks and then it got a lot easier. Now I can't believe I ever smoked. The smell disgusts me and people who huddle around out side of the front doors of buildings to smoke (especially when its below zero out) annoy the hell out of me. 

Its not easy but you can quit.

Edited by ants

When I started ,they were .50 cents a pack and when I finally quit , they were $10.00 a pack.

Besides spending a small fortune , having COPD and having quit for almost 3 years...I would still love to have one. Especially when I smell someone smoking.

What amazes me the most is the doctors and nurses that are outside of the hospital SMOKING !! I mean they see first hand the devastation caused by smoking and still they smoke .......

I've seen patients outside the Westchester Medical Center smoking. They actually wheeled their IV machines outside to have a cigarette while wearing the hospital gowns and robes. I was floored by the fact that the hospital allowed this . Maybe it has change as I had witnessed this about 10 years ago.

If these adds even help one person to quit, or scares them from even starting, then they did what they were intended for.

Oh, that's just plain crap. That's like the justification for some of the gun laws ..... if it saves just one life then it's worth doing. Yeah ... right. The fact is that that line of reasoning has been used to justify more damned abuses than any other argument going. The fact is that these gross images can not be justified for invading the homes of people who would rather not see that kind of garbage. TV programming should still be subject to rules of good taste and a respect for the sensitivities of the majority of viewers who are paying good money for that kind of crap. You want to muck around in the lives of others and try to dictate what's good for them, find some other way of doing it than forcing these gross images into the lives of every TV viewer (smoker or not).

Oh, and by the way, does anyon ereally believe that smokers are unaware of the consequences of smoking. I maintain that if they have been under a rock somewhere and aren't aware of all the health problems associated with smoking, they aren't likely to be swayed with some gross TV ads.

• Like 3

Oh, that's just plain crap. That's like the justification for some of the gun laws ..... if it saves just one life then it's worth doing. Yeah ... right. The fact is that that line of reasoning has been used to justify more damned abuses than any other argument going. The fact is that these gross images can not be justified for invading the homes of people who would rather not see that kind of garbage. TV programming should still be subject to rules of good taste and a respect for the sensitivities of the majority of viewers who are paying good money for that kind of crap. You want to muck around in the lives of others and try to dictate what's good for them, find some other way of doing it than forcing these gross images into the lives of every TV viewer (smoker or not).