Good reason to stop smoking

josephmrtn

Wow.......That's 70 packs for $106.00  which breaks down to $1.50 a pack. Please tell me your joking !

Almost makes me want to take up smoking again...........God I miss it.

No joke...with smokes @ almost $10/pck here localy, I saved roughly $600.

I usually make the 60 mile trip to the reservation to stock up every couple of months.

NOooo

I hate to say "never" , but I hope to never ever smoke another cigarette........been 2 1/2 years since I had one. I once read somewhere that cigarette addiction is harder to quit than heroin. I don't know if it is because heroin addicts use methadone for their with drawl ,  which might make it easier to quit. For those who smoke....check out what kind of chemicals are in the cigarettes your smoking. You won't believe your eyes.

I don't think it matters about what chemicals are in the cigarettes or how graphic the ads are on tv, if a person is not ready to quit then those tactics don't mean anything. 

In the mean time if you don't like the ads just change the channel

Wooly doesn't it seem funny that you drive all that way to save money on something that is so bad for you.

I know it is no of my business but i had to say it

Or, we could try to educate people on the harmful effects of smoking and of eating garbage in hopes that they will make smarter decisions.  And, if that fails, we could make it more inconvenient for people to make these bad decisions through taxation.  If that fails, we can make people personally financially responsible for the repercussions of their life choices.

Yup.. taxation is always the answer. lets tax people that use chainsaws too... or anything that could be dangerous... nothing like getting the government involve completely in our lives to make sure we do exactly what they think we ought to be doing. Better yet we should educate liberals on freedom and why men fought and died for it...

Or, we could try to educate people on the harmful effects of smoking and of eating garbage in hopes that they will make smarter decisions.  And, if that fails, we could make it more inconvenient for people to make these bad decisions through taxation.  If that fails, we can make people personally financially responsible for the repercussions of their life choices.

Don't we already do all of those things????   How many people out there, regardless of how long they have been smoking, don't know that the things are REAL bad for them????

Tobacco is a dying industry. It was cool to smoke when I was in middle school, a pack was $3. Now everyone is more educated about the harm, cigarettes cost $14 a pack, and you can't smoke in public anymore. I hope the price continues to rise so I never have to smell a cigarette again.<br /><br />Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

first cig ads in the 40s and thru the 80s kind of brainwashed people into thinking that cigs were not bad for you .

second it is very easy for anyone to say you can quit this or that and yes some do but for the greater majority of us it is a monumental thing to overcome just look at all the sites to help you quit smoking

third it has been proven that there were additives put in cigs to give you the urge to smoke even though you knew it is harmful. This was and is the cause of addiction in smokers.

and doc I am not one to whine I just stated the obivious that you have an opinion on every subject on these forums.

Maybe for some of you it never hit home ,watching your loved one die a horrible slow agonizing death gasping for air and I pray it never does but I know this firsthand and wouldn't ever comment on someones loss  the way some of you do ....

I know it is easy to say things on the internet but in a face to face conversation I would hope you had more class than to berate or justify a loved ones death no matter how it occurred .Sometimes it is better to say nothing don't you agree ?

I think there are way too many people who are always looking for a scapegoat instead of honestly examining situations. And while I have no love for any industry, I think that people need to take personal responsibility for thier own fate when it comes to self inflicted behavior. I do. I may still insist on making poor choices, but those choices are mine alone and I have to own up to them.

I doubt that there was ever a time when anybody thought that tobacco was harmless. The term "coffin nails" was not invented yesterday. We used to joke about it, thinking we were invincible and going to live forever. But nobody put that cigarette in anybody's hand and forced them to smoke it. I would like to be able to blame others for whatever may go wrong with my health, but I honestly have to face up to the fact that every bad decision that I have ever made has been made completely by me. All those years of smoking were my conscious decisions and acts done with full knowledge of cancer and emphysema possibilities. Every McDonald's french fry goes into my body as a conscious act performed by me alone, again understanding that those are simply a different brand of poison.

Also if you want to describe horrendous ways to go, do not be so narrowed in your view as to ignore those who have lost body parts ... one at a time ... through diabetes. Don't be ignoring the clogged arteries and organ failures of the obese. Don't be thinking that smoking is the only self-inflicted, industry pushed, cause of suffering and lingering death, because it is not. So while you are looking for someone to "strangle" save enough of that rage for all of those health related abuses that are peddled by the food industry as well. But I will tell you that you will exhaust yourself from all that hatred. How about blaming the wine, beer and liquor industry for each and every drunk-driving fatality  or case of liver disease. Did somebody force them to take those drinks? Can we hate the auto industry for making cars that can go at speeds that exceed the speed limit or should we blame those that choose to use that capability in a reckless manner?  We also have a lot of people who have a misplaced hatred or at least a severe distrust of the firearms industry because their product occasionally gets misused. And on and on ..... You can concentrate on misplaced hatred, or you can spend your time recognizing that responsible decisions belong to each individual that makes them just as those decisions that are not as well thought out.

doc I am not one to whine I just stated the obivious that you have an opinion on every subject on these forums.

And to that I say, "so what?" I'm not trying to be flippant, but I always thought that was a large part of participating on a forum. 

Plain and simple to me...  Smoking is a personal choice.  Do I know it is bad, yes, do I want to quite, sure.  But I must say with a upset stomach it helps me get by...  It alleviates my stress and calms my nerves.  Even getting the bad new of a family member with cancer has not stopped me, yet...  Will it improve my health, yes.  But I have to agree these advertisements are pathetic...  And in so far as surveys or statistics, well they can include or exclude what ever they want in the survey to meet their goals.   I am not saying smoking is good, I just don't agree with these types of adds that are allowed.  I have had the TV on while eating, hands too filthy to touch the remote and seen these adds,  probably part of the reason I cut the TV cable...

My main point would be this.  If the Government did the same thing to food, booze, and fuel as it did to cigarettes...  Well everything would be DOUBLED... 

Cigarettes cost 5 $ then add a 5 $ tax, that is why they are 10 $. 

Gas 10$ a gallon

Groceries use to cost 200$ now they are 400$

Drinks at the local bar are now 8-14 $

Soda 2 liter 2$ on sale

Bullets, guns, and all accessories for guns and hunting, doubled.

How far do want to let them control you, you may want this but as for me I will never agree with Government controlling what I do by taxation.

And yes this is a forum on the internet, it is all opinion based...

Wooly doesn't it seem funny that you drive all that way to save money on something that is so bad for you.

I know it is no of my business but i had to say it

Not really........I used to travel much further to see my now ex-wife when we were dating.

That proved to be even worse for my health, and cost me far more in the long run,lol

I'm willing to bet that people who engage in unhealthy habits, look at what they're doing to themselves on a regular basis and realize that they need to make a change or the end result is going to be unpleasant, and they're probably fully aware that in the end there's no one else to blame but themselves....it's the one's who get ill or suffer due to another's doing that I feel for.

Edited by jjb4900

Like I said I hoped you had more class than that . But again you proved me wrong.....

Well, if you mean by "class" the ability to simply nod my head and blindly agree with someone who doesn't understand the concept of personal responsibility, I guess I am not one to do that. I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

Right NYAntler, 'freedom' means having the right to make stupid personal choices that will inevitably lead to serious health problems, the cost of which the public will bare.

Virgil, isn't it something how some of these anti tax/welfare types have no problem paying for others choices when it comes to smoking but not in so many other circumstances?

Mind boggling

Virgil, isn't it something how some of these anti tax/welfare types have no problem paying for others choices when it comes to smoking but not in so many other circumstances?

Mind boggling

Theres a difference between welfare and insurance covering people that have paid into the system. The types of welfare programs that MOST are against are the permanent kinds that do nothing more than enable people to choose not to work.

Personally, if people want to smoke, I say go for it, but they should pay higher insurance premiums because of it. Dont want the higher premiums, then quit smoking. Personal responsibility.

I don't think that it's a good idea for sportsmen or gun enthusiasts to compare the tobacco industry to the gun industry.  We all agree that the responsible use of guns is safe and has a legitimate place in society- we don't all agree on the types of guns, etc, but that's not the point.  A person who handles and uses his guns as they were intended to be used will suffer no harmful effects and neither will anyone in society. You cannot say the same thing about cigarettes.  The tobacco industry is dirty.  Gun owners should not try to draw parallels between the two.  Just my opinion.

I don't think that it's a good idea for sportsmen or gun enthusiasts to compare the tobacco industry to the gun industry.  We all agree that the responsible use of guns is safe and has a legitimate place in society- we don't all agree on the types of guns, etc, but that's not the point.  A person who handles and uses his guns as they were intended to be used will suffer no harmful effects and neither will anyone in society. You cannot say the same thing about cigarettes.  The tobacco industry is dirty.  Gun owners should not try to draw parallels between the two.  Just my opinion.

The point I made was not about the safety of any product . It was about pointing the finger in the wrong direction. Your assertion that to make such a comparison is irresponsible is ridiculous.

OK, you don't have to agree.  My point is that, in the eyes of the general public- at least the anti-gun public, guns are already seen as scourges on society, just like cigarettes.  And, I don't think it's a good idea to associate the two.  But then again, I usually think that the arguments you guys make don't do much to further your cause. 

Theres a difference between welfare and insurance covering people that have paid into the system. The types of welfare programs that MOST are against are the permanent kinds that do nothing more than enable people to choose not to work.

Personally, if people want to smoke, I say go for it, but they should pay higher insurance premiums because of it. Dont want the higher premiums, then quit smoking. Personal responsibility.

I agree with that last part 100%

Is there a difference?   Smoking related illness leads to a 193 Billion dollar cost to all of us, why is it ok for me to pay the massive bill for anothers personal choice?  You can argue other things kill people too but the fact remains that smoking is so far in the lead it isn't even close.

Part of those taxes that some have an issue with on tobacco products is supposed to go towards that mega bill so why is that such a bad thing then? I for one am sick of paying so much for health insurance especially when I consider that I am paying more to cover some one else's poor choices.

One other thing to consider, how many welfare receipants also smoke and require medical treatment because of it? We pay twice for their decisions.

I agree with that last part 100%

Is there a difference?   Smoking related illness leads to a 193 Billion dollar cost to all of us, why is it ok for me to pay the massive bill for anothers personal choice?  You can argue other things kill people too but the fact remains that smoking is so far in the lead it isn't even close.

Part of those taxes that some have an issue with on tobacco products is supposed to go towards that mega bill so why is that such a bad thing then? I for one am sick of paying so much for health insurance especially when I consider that I am paying more to cover some one else's poor choices.

One other thing to consider, how many welfare receipants also smoke and require medical treatment because of it? We pay twice for their decisions.

I dont have a problem with the taxes on cigs. Dont want to pay them, quit smoking lol. There are plenty of us out there that have done it. Saying you cant is only an excuse for your lack of self control.

You just pointed out another reason to ditch the current system of welfare lol.

I had my last cigarette at 8 am December 24 , 1979 . My dad died of lung cancer that year at the age of 66 . Cigarettes were $5.25 for a carton of Pall Malls at that time . I weaned myself off the habit and just quit .

We used to get a small pack of cigarettes in our USMC C-rations . Cigs in the barracks machines were 18 cents a pack in 1959 and cigs aboard ship were one dollar a carton .

The US government was subsidizing the tobacco growers . Now they want to hang them !

Well I've had the patch on since Mothers Day and thats 20 days and havent lit one yet , $200.00 bucks in my pocket ... wish me luck to keep going !

Keep it up.............remember that if you fail ,  you just threw away the hardest 20 days. You can do it !!!!

• Like 1