Climbing sticks for hangon stand??

Jrs5144

I made an impulse purchase and bought two hangon stands. I never have used them before but I liked the idea of them. I'm finding out now that the climbing sticks or screw in steps are pretty expensive also.... Wasn't really expecting that. That's wht I get for making a purchase without thinking it through I guess.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a cheap set of steps or screw ins? Anyone have a creative alternative? I'm open to any advice. Thanks!

Buy the good screw in steps or rapid rails. I purchased a few ladder type steps that came in 4--4ft sections that get slid into the ends of one another for a 16ft ladder but it's neither stealthy nor convenient, and really not high enough for my liking. They work good if your going to put a stand in a tree and don't plan on moving, but the first time you want to move a few trees over or to another spot during the season, you'll realize how much of a burden it is. I have two sets if rapid rails and I love them!

Phade had some real nice climbing sticks in the wanted section. If he still has them I am sure he wouldn't mind a couple extra $$$.

not sure if you said but if you hunt public land, screw in steps are frowned upon.

Edited by pewlodar

I use the climbing sticks, you can get them inexpensively if you keep your eye out. Screw ins work well if you dont mind the holes in your trees. For the stands we use with screw ins, we take the bottom 3 or 4 with us when we leave. Keeps anyone that doesnt carry steps with them out of the stands. With ladder sticks, if you are worried about theft, just put a lock on them like you do the stand.

IF you hunt on state land the screw in steps are out of the question.  I use to use them but climbing sticks or the ladders for stands are much easier to climb.  Kind of tough straddling a tree and climbing up at the same time, The most important purchase you can make is a safety harness no matter what route you take.  Plus the (cannot remember the name at the moment)  safety climbing rope that keeps you strapped in all the way up and down is the cats butt.   I would get the safest harness I can afford and the rest for stands and steps. 

Every time I here about climbing sticks, I think about how much stuff I am willing to carry. I once saw this guy at the top of our hill that was carrying a huge pack, a big ladder stand and his bow. The walk is about a mile of very steep hill and he was huffing and puffing like a locomotive and dripping with sweat. For those that want to get as far away from other hunters as possible, I have to wonder how much stuff is too much. For me those climbing sticks would be too much.

last year i purchased from the sportsman guide a  hang-on tree stand and climbing sticks for 70 dollars. i did some minor modifcations to the stand to make it more comfy and sturdy and it worked great all year. i too use screw-ins the first 6 feet up to deter any would be person from using it or stealing it.i just hide the screw-ins near the stand. check sportsmans guide they have great deals. 

Edited by jonathon88

Every time I here about climbing sticks, I think about how much stuff I am willing to carry. I once saw this guy at the top of our hill that was carrying a huge pack, a big ladder stand and his bow. The walk is about a mile of very steep hill and he was huffing and puffing like a locomotive and dripping with sweat. For those that want to get as far away from other hunters as possible, I have to wonder how much stuff is too much. For me those climbing sticks would be too much.

You dont usually carry them in. I get a set for every hang on I buy and leave them right on the tree.

I used to use screw in spikes but over the last few years I have changed to all climbing sticks. They are much faster and easier to install. I set up about 10 stands each year. I leave them up all season and just hunt them based on the wind direction. I look for clearance sales usually Dicks or sportsmen guide at the end of the season usually can get the stands for 40 and the sticks for 30. I like to start the sticks up off the ground by using a heavy duty screw in first and setting the stick right on the spike. Always wear a safety harness/ linemen's belt when setting up a stand, and cable locks keep the honest people honest.

You dont usually carry them in. I get a set for every hang on I buy and leave them right on the tree.

Or a high quality mobile set like LW. Pair that with an Alpha and the combo weigh less than most all climbers and isn't limited to a tree type.

I most often use my LW stuff when I go out of state as I don't know the ground as well and will scout and hunt with a stand on my back. Otherwise, I generally use ladders and then hang-ons with the stick ladders or rapid rails and leave them be.

i set 30 plus stands all hangon every year, rapid rails are the way to go or a similar sectional ladder section. the sticks i have are nice but do limit you to having one side of a tree limb free. hangons will become the best thing you've boughten for hunting.!! its better to be in a limb filled twisted tree in a hangon 15 yards from the trail you want to hunt than looking for a perfect tree for a climber that maybe too far for a quick clean harvest! (sorry for the rant i know some people love their climbers, but you are really limited with them, as opposed to hanging a stand leaving it and quietly asending it without having to pack it in and out.) if your worried about someone usuing it just chain the platform in an upright position rendering the stand unusable to anyone but you.

If you opt for screw in steps go for the one peice ones. the folding ones are much nicer to carry but as I found out the hard way the rivits at the hinge points can fail. I had one come apart just as I was steping onto the platform. I like the climbing stick option and the ones I really like are the ones that don't come straight out of the vertical post. Some of them slpoe up from the post and they are much nicer to climb with wet boots on.

Another option if you don't hunt very high is a home made wooden ladder.. THey are heavy but if you are leaving them in place they work pretty well. They do require inspection from time to time to make sure they are still sturdy.

I agree with G-man.  Hangers and sticks are the way to go.  I started using hangers a couple of seasons ago and haven't used my climber since.  I leave my hangers in the woods all season and carry in only the sticks.  They're a little cumbersome, but a lot easier to carry than a climber.  And setup takes a couple of seconds and is silent.

Walmart had a sale on a hanger/sticks combo this past winter and I bought another two sets.  So, I'll have three sets of sticks this season.  I'm gonna stash sticks in the woods near my stands to avoid having to carry them into the woods.

I have found screw steps on sale after season for @$1 a pop at Dicks. Last year, (thanks to Phade) I picked up a stand and the rapid rail style steps for $50 from Walmart. I can't wait to use them this year as it will allow me to set up easier than screw in's thus making me more mobile.

You wouldn't do that on public land would you? It wouldn't be a problem on private land where you don't really have to worry about going deep to avoid other hunters, But when I am hunting public land I generally go the "lean & mean" route and travel as light as possible.  And on state land that generally means carry in and carry out. Lol .... I already donated a trail-cam, thinking that it was located in a place on state land where nobody would ever think of going. Bad move on my part.

On public, I use nothing but climbers, but I am still kinda new to the hang on thing. There are a few out there that weigh less than my climber, are smaller and easier to carry, and paired with a compact set of ladder steps, are supposedly faster and quieter to use. I have yet to invest in them to try it.