Article on Hog in Central NYS

Elmo

10-4 I'm on it. 

I knew it wouldn't be long for the hogs in NY to make the news again. We tried hunting them a few times a couple years ago, but no luck. My dad saw a piglet but it quickly vanished into the underbrush.

Down in SC it is a big problem, they now are considering having it open all year long and take as many as you can. If you own the land you can now hunt it year long, but the majority of state or federal  land it is only open during special times, like during the deer season. But they are finding the amount of hogs taken is just about none, the guns start going off and the pigs no longer feed in there normal areas. The amount of damage they do is just major, if you got them in your lands the deer and turkey are just about killed off. The hogs will eat anything. I am a member of a bow club there in Myrtle beach SC, several of the local members have hogs on there farms and tell me it is just so much damage to the corps from them. Not like with deer or turkey, which they say has not been a problem. A doe will have 1 or 2 fawns, in a year. A  pig will have several litters in a year, some one told me it could be up to like 20 in a year.

.........It might be worth a try.......

Can't find those hogs to shoot them? Try calling them. Just hide behind a bush and make a noise like an ear of corn.

Sorry .... couldn't help myself. It's an adaptation of a joke about rabbit hunting that my old Aunt used to tell.

Down in SC it is a big problem, they now are considering having it open all year long and take as many as you can. If you own the land you can now hunt it year long, but the majority of state or federal  land it is only open during special times, like during the deer season. But they are finding the amount of hogs taken is just about none, the guns start going off and the pigs no longer feed in there normal areas. The amount of damage they do is just major, if you got them in your lands the deer and turkey are just about killed off. The hogs will eat anything. I am a member of a bow club there in Myrtle beach SC, several of the local members have hogs on there farms and tell me it is just so much damage to the corps from them. Not like with deer or turkey, which they say has not been a problem. A doe will have 1 or 2 fawns, in a year. A  pig will have several litters in a year, some one told me it could be up to like 20 in a year.

It allready is...

From DEC's Website.........."DEC's goal is to eradicate Eurasian boars from the state's landscape. In New York, people with a small game hunting license may shoot and keep Eurasian boars at any time and in any number. All other hunting laws and firearms regulations are still in effect when shooting Eurasian boars. If you are in an area that prohibits the use of rifles during big game seasons, you cannot use a rifle to shoot Eurasian boars during any open deer season (including archery seasons). Please remember that it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a school, playground, church, dwelling, farm building, or occupied structure. You need to obtain permission of the landowner to enter any lands you do not own."

From DEC's Website.........."DEC's goal is to eradicate Eurasian boars from the state's landscape. In New York, people with a small game hunting license may shoot and keep Eurasian boars at any time and in any number. All other hunting laws and firearms regulations are still in effect when shooting Eurasian boars. If you are in an area that prohibits the use of rifles during big game seasons, you cannot use a rifle to shoot Eurasian boars during any open deer season (including archery seasons). Please remember that it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a school, playground, church, dwelling, farm building, or occupied structure. You need to obtain permission of the landowner to enter any lands you do not own."

Yes, in NY they are open year round. Originally sweet old bill was talking about South Carolina opening them up all year, not NY.

I've read some reports that some farmers down south found that the return on profits of charging some hunters $600 for a boar hunt is better than farming that they don't actually want the feral pig "problem" to go away.  Some fear that their shift in business continues aggressively it may mean less and less farms which means higher and higher food prices.

Edited by Elmo