Robbed again

YFKI1983

That really sucks.  I've always been concerned about that.  My place is just a shack with no utilities except some wires for lights that I run off of a battery.  I don't leave anything there of any value- I even bring my kerosene heater back and forth with me.  When I was upstate this past spring I noticed that someone had broken in.  Luckily they didn't trash the place.  They just looked around and left.  But, the feeling of being violated really is a bummer.

ADT would be nice, but sounds like the cabin is remote? If so, you may not have sufficient cell tower coverage for an MMS cam either. If you do, I'd look into that. I get pics within a minute of it being taken. Reconyx makes or used to make a cam specifically capable of catching a license plate - very high speed. It's expensive and doesn't send pics, but catching the plate number can sometimes be better than getting a pic of the actual person because you can then track it much more easily in most cases.

If you can't afford that, then look into a camera with a remote box, such as a Spypoint. It's nowhere near as efficient, but by sending the pics to a remote can that you can very easily hide, even if they steal the cam, you have pics. It'd be a good one to put up close to the house since they'll be spending some time going in and out. A Covert Black 60 set out there on HD video and sound is also an option. It records superb video clarity and the sound is nothing short of impressive. You make get info off of the conversations (such as where they're going to recycle the piping, or a name when one calls to the other). Since you won't get many hits, you can record for a while per hit.

The other thing, is make people think you are crazy. Nothing deters trepassers more than a crazy person. Seriously. Buy posted signs and place them on every single tree along road frontage. Place them two-three deep even. It's an eyesore, but the people who did this are more likely to rob you again rather than another party robbing you for the first time. If they see you took the effort to bulk up security, they may "leave you alone" going forward since it's not worth the effort. Placing a note like "remote security in progress" on the post sign may also help.

Stealing copper piping just wreaks of drug-related crime. People who do that are more often than not tied into a drub problem like meth or heroin, or at the very least in the lower socio-economic class familiar with the re-selling/recycling of copper.

Edited by phade

people suck. I would echo the suggestions of a trail cam. But the resolution might not be good enough to catch faces, and too close you risk just getting your camera stolen... some times just a dummy camera or 2 mounted around the place will do the trick or even the fake monitoring signs. I have the feeling your place isn't a mansion though, so most people will probably realize you're not really going to invest time and money on security? idk... again. people suck.

From day 1, I would have had a sign on the front door "Smile you are on camera. If you can read this sign, your picture has just been sent to me via email. Please leave the property immediately."

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with G-Man. Pex pie is the way to go. Hide it some how if you can. Not worth leaving anything. I also like the idea of plywood on the windows. May leave a false message that your not there. Theives also go to sullivan county knowing they are only summer residents and take their copper as well. Maybe leave something that is bright and cheap and only you would know its yours.Then keep an eye out for this item in town. Maybe check the local flea market to see if it arrives. Lots of work, but may be worth it.Good Luck.

I might try to hang a few driveway alarm sensors aound the cabin. Maybe a few sensors on the outside facing the doors and windows, but keep the alarms inside the cabin.

Put a few sensors inside the cabin as well, but hang those alarms outside.

Theives aren't usually too bright and there's a good chance they're already paranoid from the drugs and booze... a few "alarming noises" might be enough to send them running for the hills. Just a thought..., and less expensive than taking a chance they will find a pricey camera.

You ever see those Vietnam veterans holding a sign that they will work for food? We all have and they would probably love the serenity of the forest. As well as a place to lay their head and food in their belly. Just a thought.

As a side note, who better to protect your property than an American Veteran!

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure "booby traps" are a no no......do a search on them where people were killed or physically injured, and most of the time the person who set them has been charged criminally.

you're correct when the property is not fenced in. but if somebody hurts themselves by going "above and beyond" to enter your property you can get off the hook. But I still wouldn't do it, especially if it kills someone.

I might try to hang a few driveway alarm sensors aound the cabin. Maybe a few sensors on the outside facing the doors and windows, but keep the alarms inside the cabin.

Put a few sensors inside the cabin as well, but hang those alarms outside.

Theives aren't usually too bright and there's a good chance they're already paranoid from the drugs and booze... a few "alarming noises" might be enough to send them running for the hills. Just a thought..., and less expensive than taking a chance they will find a pricey camera.

good idea too. the motion alarms and/or lights aren't very expensive either.

Edited by Belo

they broke on to my buddy's cabin and took his gun safe with 12 long guns ripped it out of the floor so they had to replace a section of the floor plus took a TV dvd played and over 50 dvds plus a whole lot more  he's up there just about ever week end they had to know when he was coming and going

papabear

they broke on to my buddy's cabin and took his gun safe with 12 long guns ripped it out of the floor so they had to replace a section of the floor plus took a TV dvd played and over 50 dvds plus a whole lot more  he's up there just about ever week end they had to know when he was coming and going

papabear

OUCH!! Now that would suck!! Hope they catch the low life SOB's!

At the very least get one of the signs that say the property is protected by video surveillance. With everyone using trailcams anymore, it'll make someone think twice....

!SNS229-Detail-Funeral.gif

All this sign does is to tell the thieves to wear a mask and a hoodie when they decide to break in.

ive only got 1 shotgun 1 rifle and a 22... 0% chance of getting ammo mixed up... 

I'm not talking about getting ammo mixed up. I'm talking about the fact that you guys said there's a chance you could forget, meaning sometimes you pick up a gun and shoot it without checking anything?

You keep your guns loaded at all times at home?