Met A Young Guy

Early

Met a young guy who was bowhunting deer as I was on my way out of the local WMA. I stopped to talk to him...since I knew the area well from nearly 40 years of hunting there. We chatted for a bit, and then he shared with me some of the stuff he had collected on "trail cams"....and, then, I drove off. I realized I was not talking to a hunter. You newbies who realy on the latest hi-tech gadgetry must, at some point, own up to the fact that you are not hunters. You are more like video game players. Please...please...please stay out of the woods. Play your games in the video arcades!!

So did you try to "correct" him in his misguided ways? Probably not, Internet bully.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Early goes trolling once again, and once again he's not disappointed, as many of us rise to the bait....

He's not REALLY a self important elitist d---head...He's a Psych major and he just gets off getting REACTIONS out of people..

• Like 8

Must be poor Early didnt see any deer!  Poor Poor Early! All those young hunters out there robbing the woods of your deer must really drive you to the brink of whining on the internet about it, but since your a better man than that Im glad you restrain from doing so.

Wow. Nice thread Early. Unlike everyone else here, I think it is a great debate to have every so often. I too believe there should be some kind of limits involved. We may not always agree on what those limits should be, but I think it's healthy to bring the subject up once in a while, and thanks for doing that.

So, how far are we all willing to go in terms of applying technology to hunting? Remember that old "internet hunting" scheme that they tried to get off the ground? Remember how you would log on to their site and operate the remote camera/gun and collect your critter. Was it wrong to stop that in it's tracks? Is there no limit that we should have? Do the philosophies of fair chase have any part to play in your hunting? Sure it's hard to relate trail cameras to issues of fair chase, but there are other things that come to mind that I find a bit offensive along those lines. Do you people really have no personal limits to what you would call legitimate hunting? Does it bother anyone that your success may be more of a reflection of how well some unknown engineer did his job, than how well you did yours?

Why because of trail cams?I still have to put them in the woods,within the right 50 foot to get a pic.Decipher where these deer go and come from,set a stand,be scent free,sit quiet,become proficient with my bow/gun,make a good shot on the animal and sit still for weeks on end to get the shot on a deer I would like to kill.There isn't a single person on this board that is totally old school.SO take a better look at what you use before you judge someone else.

Wow. Nice thread Early. Unlike everyone else here, I think it is a great debate to have every so often. I too believe there should be some kind of limits involved. We may not always agree on what those limits should be, but I think it's healthy to bring the subject up once in a while, and thanks for doing that.

So, how far are we all willing to go in terms of applying technology to hunting? Remember that old "internet hunting" scheme that they tried to get off the ground? Remember how you would log on to their site and operate the remote camera/gun and collect your critter. Was it wrong to stop that in it's tracks? Is there no limit that we should have? Do the philosophies of fair chase have any part to play in your hunting? Sure it's hard to relate trail cameras to issues of fair chase, but there are other things that come to mind that I find a bit offensive along those lines. Do you people really have no personal limits to what you would call legitimate hunting? Does it bother anyone that your success may be more of a reflection of how well some unknown engineer did his job, than how well you did yours?

That kettle on the stove is probably going to boil over with this little gem tossed in...............

So let me get this straight. Seeing lots of deer during a sit in the stand like on TV isn't reality? Well let's pull your head out your ass and expand your hunting travels a little farther than your nearest state land. Take a trip to kansas or illinos or Ohio or iowa. Or many other Midwest states where you can see 30 plus deer during a sit. Not all shooters or even bucks. But seeing lots of deer is a reality for many not just TV shows. And no they aren't just high fence places that this exists in. I guide a TV show and they saw tons of deer every day and eventually put down a 160.

I remember the old days before trail cameras when I would go out with a pair of binoculars and watch a field at the edge of the woods just before dark .I spent many hours doing that back then and I enjoyed doing it.Now days I don't have near as much free time as I used to , it's nice to have a trail camera .

• Like 1

I definitely took it as Early trying to spice things up, rather than get into an actual debate. But still I don't think his issuees w cameras are that far fetched.

I still haven't bought a camera. Not sure if its because I hunt public land, or that I'm a little "careful" with my money, or if I think using them crosses some kind of line. Maybe a little bit of everything. I do however enjoy reading the posts and looking at the photos in the trail camera forum here.

Actually, I was just voicing my opinion.  Those with differing opinions are free to voice theirs.  One must wonder how far this newfangled "hunting" technology will go.  Will future "hunters" sit in their game rooms and hunt with drones.  Will trail cams one day come equipped with a "kill" option that will selectively shoot any deer that measures up to trophy standards?  Seriously....What's next?

So let me get this straight. Seeing lots of deer during a sit in the stand like on TV isn't reality? Well let's pull your head out your ass and expand your hunting travels a little farther than your nearest state land. Take a trip to kansas or illinos or Ohio or iowa. Or many other Midwest states where you can see 30 plus deer during a sit. Not all shooters or even bucks. But seeing lots of deer is a reality for many not just TV shows. And no they aren't just high fence places that this exists in. I guide a TV show and they saw tons of deer every day and eventually put down a 160.

For most of us who are limited to just hunting here in NY that isn't reality.I agree that those midwest states you mentioned that is a reality.

Met a young guy who was bowhunting deer as I was on my way out of the local WMA. I stopped to talk to him...since I knew the area well from nearly 40 years of hunting there. We chatted for a bit, and then he shared with me some of the stuff he had collected on "trail cams"....and, then, I drove off. I realized I was not talking to a hunter. You newbies who realy on the latest hi-tech gadgetry must, at some point, own up to the fact that you are not hunters. You are more like video game players. Please...please...please stay out of the woods. Play your games in the video arcades!!

How can you tell me I am not a hunter because I use a trail camera?! I am out in the rain, checking fresh sign, busting my a$$ hanging tree stands, wind and snow don't stop me, I'm out scouting (on foot), I stalk deer on the ground, I harvest deer, I thank them for the meat that they have provided me after a kill....go a head and tell me I am not a hunter and I will tell you that you are an ignorant person....Time have changed.  How does me using a trail camera make me not a hunter any more? PLEASE TELL ME.......I'll bet money on it you have a high tech sight on your bow, or a high powered scope on your high tech gun....To a long bow hunter YOU TOO ARE NOT A  HUNTER in there eyes so don't sit behind your computer and have courage to tell us that we are not hunters.....

• Like 1

Ah...You would lose that bet: My two bows are a 50 yr. old recurve and a very early generation compound. Last few deer I have killed were with smooth bore shotguns, with no scope.

But, I will agree that the hi-tech guys are hunters...just not old-fashioned hunters. And, that's OK....for them.

Damn....Some of you guys rile easily!

last few deer...that means before those you did use the high tech scopes.... and a compound is still a high tech piece of equipment compared to your recurve.... Don't get on a hunting forum and insult people like you did and not expect us to "rile easily"..... I'm done wasting my time with you and your post... I guess I'll just go play some video games and shoot a deer with my drone....wow! goodbye.

for sale compound bow arrows camo outfit steel broadheads rockyboots and tree stand and game camera   ISO sharp stick and rock let me know asap as I have been doing this wrong for 30 plus years .....................   WTFrig !!!!! is wrong with people

• Like 2

The irony displayed in this thread is mind-boggling.

You do realize you are on an internet forum dedicated to hunting? Hunting the old way is the only way, yet you are participating on a hunting forum online? And, you have nearly 1,000 posts on your account. Mind-boggling.

Edited by phade
  • Like 9

The whole world, especially this country, is changing. FAST.

This includes hunting. Bowhunting especially is becoming a game of inches and high $$$.

Most of us who have been around a while aren't thrilled with the changes. But, you either have to keep up (or at least be open minded), or you will be left behind. Some day we will all be gone, and the new generation of hunters will be the old-timers, if they stick with it that long.

WAYYY too many people want to take away our guns & hunting priviledges. Being an elitist is just plain stupid, WE NEED TO STICK TOGETHER RATHER THAN BEING DIVIDED.

As far as trail cameras...I never saw the need for one. An expensive toy that is asking to be stolen, plus you need to keep replacing batteries....not worth the effort. I can usually tell if the area has active activity, based on tracks, poop, what plants are being eaten, rubs, scrapes, dusting bowls...I'm sure most of us know the drill. :)