Met A Young Guy

Early

Met a young guy who was bowhunting deer as I was on my way out of the local WMA. I stopped to talk to him...since I knew the area well from nearly 40 years of hunting there. We chatted for a bit, and then he shared with me some of the stuff he had collected on "trail cams"....and, then, I drove off. I realized I was not talking to a hunter. You newbies who realy on the latest hi-tech gadgetry must, at some point, own up to the fact that you are not hunters. You are more like video game players. Please...please...please stay out of the woods. Play your games in the video arcades!!

Adapt or die...............................

I'll bet a lot of guys draw their own lines as far as how much technology they incorporate into their hunts. Some advancements I enjoy taking advantage of, while others I feel need to stay the same if for no other reason than my own traditions sake. I like a nice bright site that elliminates some of the innacuracies and confusion in a low light hunting conditions. I also enjoy using trail cams, but wouldn't think of using one of the models available nowdays that immediately texts or e-mails the pics as soon as they're captured.

I have no problem with guys taking advantage of technology if they feel it makes them a more proficient hunter....notice I didn't say a "better hunter". I'd rather see a guy using a few bells and whistles to enhance his performane while afield, opposed to fumbling around the woods wounding game because his gear is limiting his ability to harvest animals in a clean quick fashion.

That said, I also get a bit annoyed seeing some of the newcomers entering the sport looking more like Nascar drivers with all the logos and product endorsing.

• Like 1

Everybody likes ice cream but it comes in different flavors because of taste...the same with hunting. Hunting as a sport is slowly dying and you are complaining just because somebody does not do it like you?  Come on!!!! The sport is big enough to take all comers no matter how silly we think their "thing is".  Just get them out into the woods hunting. We are just one generation away from losing this great sport to the anti-everythings that want to control all of us.

He is in the woods and wants to hunt the way he wants. He is not telling you how to hunt or implements to use and thats a good thing. We evolve and so will his hunting ideas........ Welcome the guy!

• Like 3

I bet Early will really hate the MMS cams we use AND the bed rug in my truck.  lol  Enjoy your hunts Early.  I will do the same, cams or not.

For me, the cams have encouraged me to be more selective on what I will shoot knowing whats in the area, but that is a personal choice anyways.

I bet Early will really hate the MMS cams we use AND the bed rug in my truck.  lol  Enjoy your hunts Early.  I will do the same, cams or not.

For me, the cams have encouraged me to be more selective on what I will shoot knowing whats in the area, but that is a personal choice anyways.

I agree, the cameras to me let me see whats around and keeps me from shooting the first buck I see. I am not really a " trophy " hunter but I do like to be out there, and with the limited amount of bucks one can take being selective keeps me hunting more. The food plots I do I almost enjoy more than the hunt itself. It's become a second hobby for me. The bucks in the Catskills are basically nocturnal once Oct comes so I still need to get deep into the woods to get a chance.

Without the cameras I would have no idea there are 2 nine's and 2 eights around where I hunt. Never saw them in person, so I choose to hunt them all season. I grew up hunting in woolrich's using a lever action 30 30 with iron sights, and not knowing it then, but those where the days for me, many  hunting camp memories were made. I do hunt with a compound now with scentlok clothes, I use a scoped single shot 20 guage shotgun for gun season because it's my favorite gun to carry. I still don't shoot a lot of deer.

Hunting should be about enjoying yourself and making memories, If using the high tech. things you mention is legal and how we do it then you should support it, as mentioned before, too many people want to take our hunting and guns away from us, if we dont stick together to protect that we are doomed

• Like 2

Met a young guy who was bowhunting deer as I was on my way out of the local WMA. I stopped to talk to him...since I knew the area well from nearly 40 years of hunting there. We chatted for a bit, and then he shared with me some of the stuff he had collected on "trail cams"....and, then, I drove off. I realized I was not talking to a hunter. You newbies who realy on the latest hi-tech gadgetry must, at some point, own up to the fact that you are not hunters. You are more like video game players. Please...please...please stay out of the woods. Play your games in the video arcades!!

wtf? all the sudden I'm a noobie hunter because I use trail cams? And new hunters aren't allowed to use trail cams either?

what a geezer, one more kid in the woods interested in hunting is still better than 1 more kid at home playing videogames collecting welfare.

I should add that I use 2 cams solely for catching trespassers. Is that ok with you?

Old school vs. New technology

Trail camera's are no substitute for woodsmanship .

this is true. but I would not discount the advantages gained by technology. There was a nice writeup in one of the recent D&DH mags about the 3 types of hunters. The woodsman, the gadget guy and the meat hunter. All have their pros and cons. Moral of the story is there is no right way to hunt, that some gadgets are great, some are junk. Never forget the old school scouting tactics and never put someone down for shooting a doe or fork horn. I think the best thing about trail cams is that they help aid those who are strapped for time. Most of us have demanding jobs and family. Trail cams just make it a little easier to scout, but if you're not spraying yourself down, checking too much or not enough they can be detrimental as well.

Edited by Belo

I guess im not a hunter...been harvesting deer for 15 years but only started using cams 3 yrs ago. I don't use cams to replace woodsmanship. I already know where the deer are. I just like to see what deer I have coming by. Its more fun than anything else. Hunt how you hunt. Ill hunt how I do but how dare you judge me as a hunter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

First off, if you shun technological advancements, then you should also shun social and scientific advancements are well.  Many of these advancements have also shaped the way we hunt and I'm sure you have taken full advantage of these advancements are well.  Such as deer behavior research.  Setting game limits and date to produce healthier herds.  Depends on how far you want to go back but old school hunting almost completely wipe out the American Bison and has made the Passenger Pigeon extinct.

Secondly, I know this will get a lot of people riled up but I don't consider hunting a sport but more of an activity.  I'm not in competition with anyone.  I'm not trying to beat anyone.  It isn't a sport because the playing fields are never even.  Some hunters have access to hundreds of acre of private land and possibly work off it so they can see what's going on at a daily basis.  Others don't have that luxury.  I don't look at someone who has these luxuries as a better or worst hunter and I don't see why you would.  If you truly belief in your statement that hunting is about spending time with family and spending time in the woods, then I really don't understand how someone who decides to use technology can ruin that for you.  If someone sets up a trail cam, does that mean you can't be in the woods anymore?  Or spend time with your family?  Does their trail cams belittle your efforts?

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

Elmo,

I don't think most view the sport as (hunter vs hunter) but yes some do. I think the term sport is used because unlike buying your beef at wegmans. This is deer vs hunter. Sure, almost anyone can kill a stupid button buck, but the mature doe and buck are a challenge for sure. The deer has superior smell and hearing, plus homefield advantage and night vision. Hunters have brains. With these brains we discover ways to beat the deer's senses. I will never claim the field to be equal, but at least a deer has a chance. The chicken and the cow? Not so much...

trail cams are fine to use im 23 ive also been out in the woods without a gun when i was 10 with my dad and learned trail cams dont make you a bad hunter the make you an educated hunter its also a great way to learn about the health of your deer population you complain about kids playing video game then turn around and say they should stay outa the woods make no sense

Trail cameras make it easier for me to identify an animal i would like to try and harvest, its easier waiting for a big buck if there  is one on cam, Some people hunt for meat, i choose to hunt for the sport, just because i have a monster buck on camera doesnt mean i will see him in the woods during legal hunting hours, Trail cameras also make easy to let that 100" 8 point walk  because you know there is a bigger one in the woods, Its about the hunt, Finding, patterning  and being able to hunt in the limited amount of time we young guys have to hunt in, Honestly if i had to choose between venison and beef im picking beef every single time, Seeing as thats the case why not match wits with a true monarch of the woods, To harvest a mature whitetail is difficult, To do it regularly is skill, Anybody can go shoot a deer, It takes patience knowledge and skill to harvest THE deer, just sayin, Ill use my cams and harvest the deer i choose with some luck every year, You can fill your freezer with what ever walks by thats your choice and yes you might get a big deer every now and again, But i want a big deer every year,  My money My tag My time My choice, 

my final point on trail cams. 1 of 3 places I hunt is behind my house. lots of doe and a few small bucks. I only hunt it because it's a 5 min. walk out my back door but never get my hopes up. Until I started spotting a nice 8 pointer. That's some good motivation to get out of bed in the morning when you haven't been seeing dee.r

• Like 1

I thought for sure Early had found his true love when I read the title.

That's the funniest thing I read here in awhile. Thanks!

Ok no scopes,gore tex,camo,tree stands ? well know way can a real hunter use one of those.

Look only real way to hunt is naked on the ground with a spear.

Edited by Larry302

my final point on trail cams. 1 of 3 places I hunt is behind my house. lots of doe and a few small bucks. I only hunt it because it's a 5 min. walk out my back door but never get my hopes up. Until I started spotting a nice 8 pointer. That's some good motivation to get out of bed in the morning when you haven't been seeing dee.r

Agree, I have spots I will not even go to unless I have a good buck on camera. And I have 4 cameras now I watch right from my computer. There is nothing like checking your cameras and seeing a big buck live from your computer.  Makes it real easy to get up in the morning.