done with the DEC, waist my time

verminater71

alright, so i seen a local scumbag, shot his second buck in a week with his bow

so I figure I'll do the rite thing, call dec, they patch me through to 3 different people

finally i get the biggest DICK in the world, give him all the information I had

he says this is useless information without an address, start telling me I don't know why they pointed you to me

and I was waisting his time without an address, I told him we was quit rude and he hung up on me

screw it, the first and last time, I try to do the right thing

I dont get why dec officers have to be power trip dicks. with that being said, not all of the dec officers are dicks. some are very helpfull. I have had them pretty much yell at me through the phone. also had them be very nice and helpfull. dont know if dealing with shitbags all day put them in a bad mood and they take it out on everyone or if they are powertripping. they work for us

this wasn't an in the feild guy I'm sure, some dick behind a desk it was the tipline

my hometown ECO is a good guy,  I don't know the ECO in that county, so I called the tipline, no wonder people don't do that

i'm still baffled by this, if you don't have a home address don't bother calling, I thought maybee name and town would be enough

I would hate to waist there time with this nonsense, then he says hey I'm trying to HELP YOU OUT, no I'm helping you

My experience this year.  At a local hunting area I bring my buck there to see if the DEC can age him.   He glances at the buck and says probably 3.5.  Next question he had is "Can I see your license?". The deer had the carcass tag on the antlers and he asks me for my license?  Then he asks me if i reported it through DECALS (which I did that night) and I told him I have 7 days to report it.  The scummer checked in to see if I had reported it.  I went there for information, legal, and in good faith only to be treated like I did something illegal.   Suffice it to say I left annoyed at how they treated me.   Lost respect for them for sure.   

• Like 1

In all the years I've been hunting, this year was the 1st time I've had a personal experience with an ECO. I got a deer that I believed to be "Unfit for Consumption" and needed DEC's verification. Officer arrived in a timely manner, was courteous, quoted the regulations, chatted about the deer and issued me a replacement tag. Overall a good experience with an ECO! FYI - 8F.

Not to justify any bad experiences folks have with ECOs, but they are people too. The all have different personailities, varied egos, personal perceptions of how to perform their jobs, individualized interpretations of the regulations and like us they all have good & bad days. Some may be "thin skinned", so a bad situation on a stressful day may create an unusual temperament for the entire day. They do routinely deal with the public (us) and that can be challenging. Betting that isn't a large part of their training and some may deal with the public better than others. Conversley being the "Devil's Advocate", their job is to serve & inform us, we indirectly pay their wages and do have some expectation of courtesy or respect.

Why do people just shrug there shoulders and take this crap from our public servants. This guy answers to somebody. Go up the line until you get somebody's attention. I can't guarantee that you will always have success, but an attempt is better than just knuckling under to somebody's incompetence.

• Like 2

Steve7, on 30 Oct 2013 - 3:22 PM, said:

My experience this year.  At a local hunting area I bring my buck there to see if the DEC can age him.   He glances at the buck and says probably 3.5.  Next question he had is "Can I see your license?". The deer had the carcass tag on the antlers and he asks me for my license?  Then he asks me if i reported it through DECALS (which I did that night) and I told him I have 7 days to report it.  The scummer checked in to see if I had reported it.  I went there for information, legal, and in good faith only to be treated like I did something illegal.   Suffice it to say I left annoyed at how they treated me.   Lost respect for them for sure.   

Sad.

I've had a couple personal experiences with ECO's over the past 30 years. Sadly enough, it seems you're guilty, until proven innocent. Start with checking license, then they'll try their best to dig until they find something... anything!

Many years ago, I went squirrel hunting with a friend. He either dropped an "empty" box of .22 shells on the ground or it just fell out of the car when we got our stuff out. I picked it up and tossed it on my backseat. Weeks later, I went bowhunting. When I returned to my car after a bowhunt, 2 ECO's were there waiting for me. They demanded I show them where the .22 was! HUH?? I'm bowhunting! They grilled me, telling me they KNEW I had a .22 with me while bowhunting and demanded I show them and started telling me what all was going to happen to me!! I was 18 at the time and this was my first encounter with any kind of law enforcement! I was crapping my pants and told them over and over again, that I did NOT have a .22 with me! They made me take them to my treestand and they searched the entire area!

After an hour or so of interrogating me and searching, they decided to try the good cop/bad cop approach. The one ECO pulled me aside and said that they saw the box of .22 shells on the backseat floor and they "KNEW" I had a .22 out there! I told him my friend dropped the empty box on the ground weeks ago while squirrel hunting and I just picked it up and threw it in my car, as to not litter! And THIS was the THANKS that I got for it!?!?!? He talked to the other ECO, they got in their car and left! NO apologies, NO nothing!!!

Last summer, my 18 year old son went bullhead fishing with a few friends. An ECO approached them and said he wanted to see everyones license. I bought my son a Lifetime Sportsmans license years ago. He pulls out the NY Lifetime Sportsmans License card, that the DEC sent him that has his ID# and everything on, that they said to carry as proof. He handed it to the ECO and the ECO yelled, "I said I want to see your fishing license!!" My son told him that IS his fishing/sportsmans license. The ECO actually looked at it then and responded, "Oh, I guess I haven't seen enough of the lifetime licenses yet." (No apologies, No nothing!) My son said that everyone had their licenses and he grilled them about anything he could, but no one was doing anything wrong. (They were fishing for bullheads for crying out loud, no limit or size restrictions!) He said the ECO practically made one 13 year old kid cry, not believing the kid was too young to need a fishing license! He said the ECO was such a dick and when he left, he never said anything positive. (Good luck boys, enjoy yourselves, etc...) NOT good PR, that's for sure!

• Like 1

This is typical of the DEC. The vast majority are not out to support the hunter or the resource. And the sad thing is they are supposed to work FOR the ethical hunter and in my opinion FOR fostering our wild life and natural resources. Certainly not the case and clearly they have turned many of us good hunters against them due to our experiences with them. 

I dont get why dec officers have to be power trip dicks. with that being said, not all of the dec officers are dicks. some are very helpfull. I have had them pretty much yell at me through the phone. also had them be very nice and helpfull. dont know if dealing with shitbags all day put them in a bad mood and they take it out on everyone or if they are powertripping. they work for us

totally agree with you. The ECO I had dealings with ( I won't mention name but he's one of 2 ECO's in 4r) was a total Delta Bravo. I'm not saying they're all like that but many are. I had better luck with Troopers. The one thing that really bothers me about the DEC is the fact that they can just walk right in your house. I think that is totally wrong and should not be allowed w/o a warrant or at least Prob. Cause. Now the old ECO from my area was a tough as nails, no-nonsense/you don't wanna mess with me guy named Jim Volker but he was a very fair and understanding man. We really miss him in our area. When I first started hunting my Dad and I went up to our land for the bow opener and 5 min. after we walked into the woods we saw a doe, 4ptr., and a huge 8 cruising in a ravine below us. As soon as they vanished out of sight we hear BOOM ! Long story short we saw some clown climbing out of a tree stand with a bow and his rifle over his shoulder. He shot the 8ptr. with a rifle on opening day of bow. We disarmed him and walked him out of the woods and called DEC. There was no ECO available so they sent a trooper. They arrested the guy and he lost his hunting privleges for however many years. We called ECO Volker and asked if we could get the antlers of the deer and he actually tracked them down and gave them to us. Thats the type of guy he was. They don't have ECO's like that anymore and if there are they are far and few between.

my job has me dealing with all different kinds of people in their homes. I can be in the filth of the city or a rich area any day of the week. I wont say what I do but I have some authority with aspects of peoples lives. I go to houses where disputes are going on and tempers are flairing. Then to a house where people think they are gonna tell me what and when I will do my job. most of the time people are glad to see me though and act like a human being. with that being said even though you may be  dealing with an a-hole, you have to be professional and not lose your temper and freak out on them. You let them know they are not going to dictate what you do, but you have to be better than those people and not stoop to their level. DEC officers are human and have bad or stressful days but they should be professional and not treat the people that call for help like criminals. Power trips hurt the  reputation of the DEC and make it more likely that people will take matters into their own hands. This would be something that should be brought up to the top brass and there needs to be training on dealing with people. Also there should be a way to report officers that are not doing their jobs as they should, without having to worry about payback. Pretty sad that the people that work for us get out of control.