all day sits

aqua750

During gun season I do unless the weather is crummy. I have to stand up and carefully stretch every now and then though. If it's extremely cold I might have to get down and move a little... but generally I do several all day sits each year. My dad and husband think I'm a bit nuts but it's worth it to me, I have my bad days where hiking all day is hard. Sadly many of them (all day sits) are spent without seeing a deer but at least the squirrels and birds entertain me.

Edited by Jennifer

I have done quite a few all-day sits during the prime days of gun season. Other than that it pretty much drives me absolutely berserk to just sit there looking at the same trees hour after hour. I never got into hunting to test my mental endurance .... lol. It is recreation ... right? I usually spend a few hours in the AM, and then a few hours in the PM. In between, I do some scouting to see just where I should have been sitting.

I'm in all day especially if its calm and cold out. Bring a thermo of coffee and some grub and I'm good to go. I did 2 all day sits in the bow stand this year and will do all day sits on the first two days of gun. My body feels all contorted after an all day sit but its worth it. 

When I was a kid I did all day sits and they made me never want to hunt again.

As I got into archery on my own I switched up regiments.

In order to maximize my opportunities and hedge my weather bets, I tend to only hunt mornings and evenings.  I can hunt a lot of 3-5 hour sessions, I doubt my wife would let me get away with too many full day sits.

I also hunt light, and hold my bow or gun at the ready at all times...thats hard to do with a thermos and sandwich.

It has worked for me in that I see and shoot way more deer doing as many short sessions as I can rather than sitting all day long a couple times a year.

Edited by 7J Everyday
  • Like 1

If the conditions are right and im seeing deer , i have no problem doing it . If im not seeing anything and the weather sucks ,ill get down.

Me too. I start out with the plan to all day sit, infact just last Tuesday I did. But after seeing nothing I went back to the house at 12:20 but was back out at 3 til dark.

Every single day I hunt with the gun is a dark-dark event. I pretty much only get weekends to hunt so I'm not going to leave the woods. I usually sit dark - 10. Then still hunt my way extremely slow thru the woods. Then sit 2-dark. I've killed a few bucks still hunting mid day. My Dad has killed some of his biggest bucks mid day when other hunters leave and stir the woods up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I went on a bear hunt in Maine about 20 years ago, sat sunup to sundown for 7 straight days watching a bait barrel, killed a bear on the last night of the last day. I swore to myself I'd never do an all-dayer after that, and I've kept my promise so far.

If you can do it & enjoy it, go for it. But like a few others have said, if it becomes uncomfortable or stops being fun, then you sorta defeat the purpose of being out there. Most times I sit until 10-11, break for lunch or hike to a new spot, and sit 1-dark.

so today that would be an 11 hour sit. The most I have done is 6 or 7 hours in one spot, I hunt before work and after so I get a lot of short sits. And on days off and weekends I will hunt 3 to 4 hours then take a break and get back in for the last 3 or 4. Gun I will still hunt or such between stands.

11 hours would seem like punishment to me. I enjoy the way I do it now. I must need a lot more comfy stands!!

I do have a procedure that I incorporate into my still hunting (gun only) that makes it almost seem like an all day "sitting" hunt. I move very slowly .... I mean very slowly .... for about 15 minutes to a half hour and then sit for about the same time. Always moving into the wind or across the wind. I repeat that over and over throughout the day. It's kind of like an all day moving "sit". It avoids the boredom of watching the same trees and bushes all day and helps to maintain sanity.

• Like 1

I do have a procedure that I incorporate into my still hunting (gun only) that makes it almost seem like an all day "sitting" hunt. I move very slowly .... I mean very slowly .... for about 15 minutes to a half hour and then sit for about the same time. Always moving into the wind or across the wind. I repeat that over and over throughout the day. It's kind of like an all day moving "sit". It avoids the boredom of watching the same trees and bushes all day and helps to maintain sanity.

That's exactly what I do on days that I can't (or won't!) sit in a stand all day. It all depends on the weather, what I think the deer might be doing, and how I'm feeling.

My dad and I have a saying: "No matter what we decide to do, it will be wrong".

Fortunately there are a few times when we get things right and it all comes together!

When I had a large property to hunt id just move from one stand to another to break it up a bit. Now I just have to many other responsibilities and sneak out after 3 or 4 hrs get some things done head out for the last 2 1/2.

mbucks27 report of when he is seeing bucks the moving is very encouraging to me, many heads are better than one, zags idea  of slowly still hunting from one of your stands  to another it is so simple I just never considered it,  duh Instead of saying screw it and heading  back to the barn and hanging out, hunting another stand is perfect  Im glad I stumbled on this  site !!

Yes...I actually do some all day sits during bow season as the chase phase of the rut starts kicking in...then some more during gun and late muzzleloader season...prob about 6 - 12 throughout the season depending how the season is going!  Food, a thermos of hot chocolate, and a hand held yahtzee game help get through some of the slow times...but for the most part I look forward to the days I have a chance to do all day sits

That's the only way I hunt. I'm a proud member of the FILO Organization. {First In Last Out}

Back in the day when I was a young buck and always had to see what was over yonder hill, In the morning I'd get restless and want to move. I'd tell myself 15 more minutes. I saw and killed many a deer during those "extra" 15 minutes. 15 more minutes. Just keep repeating it every 15 minutes.

• Like 1

On opening day of the regular season I get to my stand an hr before daylight and sit till dark. I will also sit any day I feel there is a lot of hunting pressure to keep deer moving.I love sitting all day as long as the weather isn't too nasty.To me it is relaxing to sit and watch nature do it's thing.I've killed a lot of deer between 11am and 2pm.