Will you Quit?

Four Season Whitetail's

Check stations in places like Ohio were NOT all run by DEC personnel. Many mom and pop places signed up to be check stations. I'm sure the financial reward wasn't much but in conversations I had, they did it to bring in business.

Sort of like how many small independent gas stations don't make much money on the gas....it's on the soda and beer and cigs, and candy, etc.

• Like 1

I also think you would have even more hunters cheating the system using other "peoples" backtab to tag a buck. That is a reality……...

I would think there may be less of that. If a wife had to go in somewhere and check in a deer...for her husband..she may be afraid of getting grilled by someone, Maybe DEC guy. Or at least with the mail in of unused tags, if a person does not send tags back in there had better be a report called in to the dec to report the kill.  With that, the law would be broken with the husband using the tag but if would at least be reported to dec and they may get a better handle of how many deer we really have out there!

Ive Thought of quitting a few times as it is. All the time,work and money does not really make sense ,I know plenty of hunters who would give me a deer.

I dread going back down to pull my stands in the snow and cold we have now.

That said I'm looking at some more stands on sale at Dicks and planing some chainsaw work.....

No way I'm going to a check station ,unless it's pretty much on my route home.

I have no problem with a bow/ muzzle buck and regular season buck. I support two NY communities when I hunt, Montague NY and near McGraw NY. Two different zones and both quite remote. 

The problem with deer regs is that the legislature needs to stay out of an area they don't know and that's deer management, hunting regs (rifle, cross bow, etc.) among other things. 

The antler restrictions is one of choice and should remain that way.  I'm not shooting a spike horn on opening day in McGraw, but I will in Montague! QDM is like a religion, if you don't believe then there's a problem (don't go there with me, if you have 2-3000 acres QDM will work. People with 100 acres preaching QDM just let others shoot smaller deer. 

You might be able to tell. I'm not a trophy seeker. Oh, I will hunt my butt off if I see one, but any deer is a treat and we all watch too much TV, we whine and cry cause "I'm not seeing... any ... mature...blah blah...."  

I will hunt like I always have, until I can't. I probably won't change a thing about my approach, regardless of any changes in regs, most of which appear to have "social" implications. That's a poor approach. 

• Like 1

Check stations are not that big a deal. I hunt in Maine and every deer must be checked and tagged at a station the same day it's harvested, mostly mom and pop places. They pull a tooth and weigh the deer, probably have a much better handle on it's deer herd than most states. Maine has no problem with it most towns have 2 stations and it's more remote than NY. Butchers wont take an animal without a state tag. Only problem would be getting places to sign up as check stations.

Edited by Whelen

I love hunting to much to quit, like others. ......

Here's the problem ..... The people responding to this thread are members of a hunting forum, and probably more into hunting than a lot of people that are not here to respond. Those are people that may just vote their displeasure with what they may consider to be over-regulation, by bailing out of the sport. Yes, some people will say so-what, but a little thought will answer that question.

• Like 1

The up sides of a one buck rule seem to far out weigh any down sides. To me, there is nothing wrong with being more sure it's the buck you want to harvest before you take your shot. I've said it before, a little restraint could be used in this state. 

If you want to shoot a spike, go for it, but after that you'd be hunting with doe tags . If you hunt a low deer population area, you're probably not likely to be seeing a ton of buck anyway and if it's as depressed as some area's are... it wouldn't seem very logical to kill a second scarce buck if you happen to be so lucky. 

And if you hunt in a high population, you could chose your buck and then after that you'd be contributing to the health of the herd by shooting the many doe's that need to be taken. So to me, whether you hunt a high deer population or low deer population a one buck rule sure seems to make sense.  

Here's the problem ..... The people responding to this thread are members of a hunting forum, and probably more into hunting than a lot of people that are not here to respond. Those are people that may just vote their displeasure with what they may consider to be over-regulation, by bailing out of the sport. Yes, some people will say so-what, but a little thought will answer that question.

I really think that anyone that is willing to bail that quickly would have been out soon anyway... regardless of any regulation changes

• Like 1

I won't stop hunting until I am physically unable, just like the others on here. Check stations in VT are also at mom and pop shops that get a major boost from hunters. I always check the boards to see wha thas been brought in. The difference between now and a few years ago, before they passed the "two on one side" rule, is quite amazing. A lot more deer and three times as many quality bucks are being brought in.

I really think that anyone that is willing to bail that quickly would have been out soon anyway... regardless of any regulation changes

That may be, but I hate to see them hurried out the door. Sometimes the longer you can keep one of these fence-sitters around the more opportunities that have to get re-motivated by friends and other hunters or other life circumstances.

I won't quit until I can't physically do it anymore. Its part of who I am. When I was single one of the first things I would tell a woman is that I hunt every second I can during deer season. If she couldn't deal with it, then we would end it there.

I will follow any law passed wether I like it or not. It comes down to doing what I have to to be able to hunt.

• Like 1

That may be, but I hate to see them hurried out the door. Sometimes the longer you can keep one of these fence-sitters around the more opportunities that have to get re-motivated by friends and other hunters or other life circumstances.

I kind of agree.. I'm just not sure that these kinds of hunters make that big of an impact as far as deer taken at this point.. and although we might lose him as an in the woods ally.. he would most likely still be a supporter of hunting even as a non participant.

I kind of agree.. I'm just not sure that these kinds of hunters make that big of an impact as far as deer taken at this point.. and although we might lose him as an in the woods ally.. he would most likely still be a supporter of hunting even as a non participant.

Political power is a numbers game. The more potential voting hunters that a politician has in his district, the more he is likely to vote favorably to issues friendly to that demographic. And then there is the benefit of maintaining license purchasers simply from the aspect of greater DEC resources. Other than those two factors, I probably fall into that attitude of "who need them?"....lol. But those are two very powerful factors that makes their continued participation important to me.

Political power is a numbers game. The more potential voting hunters that a politician has in his district, the more he is likely to vote favorably to issues friendly to that demographic. And then there is the benefit of maintaining license purchasers simply from the aspect of greater DEC resources. Other than those two factors, I probably fall into that attitude of "who need them?"....lol. But those are two very powerful factors that makes their continued participation important to me.

Good point..

I do hunt with some "weekend warriors" ever once and again...THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE CURRENT REGS ARE and will not concern themselves with the new ones either. Hell, some of my regulars had no idea thta ARs exist in NY. It's only those who pay attention to the sport that would be affected

I do hunt with some "weekend warriors" ever once and again...THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE CURRENT REGS ARE and will not concern themselves with the new ones either. Hell, some of my regulars had no idea thta ARs exist in NY. It's only those who pay attention to the sport that would be affected

that's a pretty accurate statement...