Traditional New Years Eve and Day Food.

thphm

What are you having ?.

I will start, My folks would say every year about this time you should eat Hearing for the new year, It is supposed to bring you good luck, So I picked up a jar of pickled hearing for new years eve.

Then I was thinking about the holiday seasons past and what my grandparents would make.And they all came from Europe at the time of the first world war. So I started looking up how to make what they made.That would taste the same.Nothing was written down by then it all came from memory.

The first which I enjoyed the most was Babka ( Polish Easter bread )I found a recipie which sounded right.I made it and ( it's amazing how your taste buds remember how thing taste )It tasted just like I remembered.

Another was Perogies, I made potato/ onion version.

And the main one Kielbasa ( smoked version) instead of beef and pork I made Venison and pork. In natural casings. My neighbor has a smoker, We will see how they taste when finished.

• Like 1

We get together with neighbors a few times a year and have a different food choice for each event. New Year's Eve is cold cuts, which I almost never eat, but nice once a year..

I counted 7 squirrels in my freezer  this morning so I asked my wife what she thought of me puttin' them on the bbq and serving them on New  Year's Eve to the neighbors as an appetizer...Bottom line, we're eating cold cuts "only".

• Like 1

What are you having ?.

I will start, My folks would say every year about this time you should eat Hearing for the new year, It is supposed to bring you good luck, So I picked up a jar of pickled hearing for new years eve.

Then I was thinking about the holiday seasons past and what my grandparents would make.And they all came from Europe at the time of the first world war. So I started looking up how to make what they made.That would taste the same.Nothing was written down by then it all came from memory.

The first which I enjoyed the most was Babka ( Polish Easter bread )I found a recipie which sounded right.I made it and ( it's amazing how your taste buds remember how thing taste )It tasted just like I remembered.

And the main one Kielbasa ( smoked version) instead of beef and pork I made Venison and pork. In natural casings. My neighbor has a smoker, We will see how they taste when finished.

That was our Christmas day and it was good, all from Polish town (Riverhead on the Island).

Kudos to my Polish buddies in here, next time try the mix of beef and venison in bigos, finger licking good..... that's what we are having tomorrow.... and of course don't forget your favorite "cooling" beverage (Titos/Absolute/Stolichnaya/GreyGoose/Belvedere) whatever rocks your boat....Happy New Year...!!!

I have nothing special planned, but  pork & sauerkraut  is a traditional New Year's Day dish.

Personally, I'm kind of partial to chicken gizzards, simmered in broth and then drizzled in olive oil and  slow roasted with onions, celery and red pepper flakes..

Bauern Wurst, Brat Wurst, Smoked Brat Wurst, Weise Wurst, Kassler Smoked porkchops, Knackwurst, Smoked hocks and SAUERKRAUT!!!!! And lots of BEER and Cognac. That's all.

Sits...That's the WURST menu I ever heard of..

Sounds good to me though..Especially the beer and cognac.

I don't have any cognac, but my my nephew gave me a bottle of some obscure bourbon that I plan to open up and sample.

New Years Eve our parents would leave most of my cousins and myself at our grandparents house for the night,My grand parents had 8 children so there were plenty of cousins sleeping overnight.Our parents would come back new years day and spend most of the day recouping and eating afterwards.The uncles would go to the local bar and bring back tap beer in the metal container the took with them.

A happy and healthy new year too all.

Not doing anything special ,food or otherwise .in the past did it all from parties,hotels ,nice dinners and so on . It's no big deal to is anymore.

Just glad I'm not working nights,hate working New Years Eve.lets see had a triple fatal fire, double homicide,fatal mva on past NYE and every normal idiot in the ghetto is extra drunk that night....

What are you having ?.

Lurking, I too have a polish background and always have some herring on New Years, as my grandmother used to say it's good luck. As for the Babka and Kielbasa I eat it frequently throughout the year.

One of these days I will go out on the water and catch my own herring for New Years Eve , they run pretty good here on Long Island.

Best to you in the New Year, happiness HEALTH, and prosperity

Edited by Big Indian