Dream Hunting Property

BKhunter

My dream hunting land would be connected to my backyard, no particular area of the state necessary.

That is what I did,Not that large of a piece , just large enough to hunt on.Get up when I like, go out when I want,come back when I feel like. It took almost 10 years to get it the way I like it but it is paying off.

Something close to my home so I can always know what is going on at the property, I would also love a low level rock wall to be around the entire property, something about a rock wall I can't explain. If I had to choose a place either NY or VT and something about 100 acres would be great. Also there needs to be a pretty big pond or small lake on the property too that way I can fish year round too ha 

Something close to my home so I can always know what is going on at the property, I would also love a low level rock wall to be around the entire property, something about a rock wall I can't explain. If I had to choose a place either NY or VT and something about 100 acres would be great. Also there needs to be a pretty big pond or small lake on the property too that way I can fish year round too ha

I love a quality built rock wall myself!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

I would like for the land to be in cattaragus or Livingston county. I would love to have 50-100 acres with my house in the same property a 2-3 acre pond that me and the kids can swim and fish in plus ice skate and play hockey on in the winter time. I would like for atleAst 50%of the land to be extremely thick for bedding and also have plenty of Apple and pear trees on the property

• Like 1

1 sq mi somewhere in Iowa if we are in dreamland.

A more realistic situation would be a parcel out my home's back door wherever it is I call home (assuming NY in this instance) and then a couple 50-100 acre parcels in big buck states like Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky that I could travel to without much issue and no need to draw a tag. All of which border non-hunting parks or parcels.

Edited by phade

I was there. It was deep into Ontario Canada. Up to a place called Shining Tree. Then 40 miles farther on a nasty dirt road. Then into a lake and all the way to the end of that lake. A 150 yard portage to another lake and then all the way down the second lake. A campsite carved out of the brush, and finally all set up for a moose hunt. No cabins. No people. No roads or foot-paths. No signs of people. No cars, trains, or even the sound of planes. Just moose, bears, beavers, otters, martens, walleyes, pike and a gray jay that would eat out of your hand. I have never heard such quiet. It was paradise. Probably a real crappy place to be in the winter, but in late fall there is no place that's better.

Oh yeah, it was cut way too short when it was all interrupted by having to pack out one huge pile of moose-meat after only a few days.

• Like 3

I was there. It was deep into Ontario Canada. Up to a place called Shining Tree. Then 40 miles farther on a nasty dirt road. Then into a lake and all the way to the end of that lake. A 150 yard portage to another lake and then all the way down the second lake. A campsite carved out of the brush, and finally all set up for a moose hunt. No cabins. No people. No roads or foot-paths. No signs of people. No cars, trains, or even the sound of planes. Just moose, bears, beavers, otters, martens, walleyes, pike and a gray jay that would eat out of your hand. I have never heard such quiet. It was paradise. Probably a real crappy place to be in the winter, but in late fall there is no place that's better.

Oh yeah, it was cut way too short when it was all interrupted by having to pack out one huge pile of moose-meat after only a few days.

Doc,

Was this a guided hunt, or did you know someone with land up there? If guided any info you can pass along. Really would like to do a Moose hunt one of these days.

Why is it that the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence As, People down state, L.I. and the City want to go Up state N.Y. to hunt.People that live below the Northern zone want to go North to hunt and people in the Norther zone as well as other's want to go Out of state to hunt.

According to some fellows I have talked to that have been to the I and T states, said that we have deer just as big , antler and body size as they do and it is more Shooting then hunting there.

Specifically for hunting mature trophy whitetail...An 300-500 acre "island" of hardwoods mix, thicket, food plots, a pond etc, In the middle of a sea of agricultural fields.  But for a place to live and raise a family, and hunt when id like... A house on a pond, sitting on 100-300 acres of land, possibly NY or MT, where i can raise my kids right, and in the outdoors. 

Edited by Hunting3m

Without being too far fetched I would love a piece of property that is 100+ acres, has a log cabin, nothing fancy but has running water and electric.  Bass pond near cabin, and property has a trout stream or river.  Property is a mix of hardwoods and some open fields for food plots.  I would love for it to be in NY within 30 minutes of Rochester.  That's my paradise.

• Like 1

I'm working on my dream piece now. 54 acres that I live on and am starting to improve as time and weather allow, as well as trying to buy another 30 acres that adjoin's. The 54 has a swamp, some overgrown brush and goldenrod fields, a few apple tree's and is surrounded by ag and orchard. The 30 I'm working on buying is a little over half open ag field with the rest being fairly brushy.

Doc,

Was this a guided hunt, or did you know someone with land up there? If guided any info you can pass along. Really would like to do a Moose hunt one of these days.

No guides, but the law required the services of an outfitter. To satisfy the legal requirement, we rented a cabin from Shining Tree Camp for the week. They supplied the licenses. We stayed in the cabin the first night because of our late arrival time and took off on our own the next day. And also the last night we used the cabin for a good night's sleep before heading home. The land where we were hunting was crown land, available to anyone, but no one makes the effort to crawl back in as far as we did.

The whole deal was planned in the engineering offices of Xerox, and we spent an entire year working out the details. We started off with topo maps and selected the lakes and swamps and camp area. We bought tapes and magazine articles on moose calling. We took no canned items in, and operated completely on freeze-dried foods and the better part of the diet consisted of fish that we caught in the mid-day hours (Man they were good!). We had one guy that was really great at filleting northerns and walleyes, and he was one heck of a cook too. Oh, and I never mentioned that it was a bow hunt.

By the way, this all happened back in 1986, so I don't even know if Shining Tree Camp still exists, and if it does, I am sure that someone else owns it by now. I'm also sure that the cost is no where near as cheap as it was back then. Four of us spent only $500 each .... total price. Even back then that was super cheap. I loved the fact that it was all DIY, and successfully done without any guides.