Jump to content

Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ive got all my stuff ready to go in the AM but cant decide if Im going


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Go for it.  The townsfolk and local farmers are all depending on us to make the roads safer and reduce landscape and crop damage from the severe deer infestation this year.   
 

I can’t wait to get back out there tomorrow, for a little cool morning action on the deer foodplot court.  I just called in the harvest report for Tuesday’s doe, and I am hoping to tag another one tomorrow. 
 

I am going to hunt my pop up  blind in the morning, no matter what direction the wind blows from, mostly because I want to try out the new shooting sticks that I just bought.  All my other blinds have nice rests.  I can shoot 360 degrees with the shooting sticks from that pop up blind and they got to come from somewhere.  
 

I will shower with scent-free soap, wear my scent-lock jacket, and open up my half stick of Evercalm, in attempt to fool those that are downwind.  
 

Edit: just checked the forecast: wind is supposed to be 5 mph from southeast.  That’s perfect for the pop up blind.  I can approach from downwind without alerting any that might be in bedding areas or out feeding.  

 

Edited by wolc123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Go for it.  The townsfolk and local farmers are all depending on us to make the roads safer and reduce landscape and crop damage from the severe deer infestation this year.   
 

I can’t wait to get back out there tomorrow, for a little cool morning action on the deer foodplot court.  I just called in the harvest report for Tuesday’s doe, and I am hoping to tag another one tomorrow. 
 

I am going to hunt my pop up  blind in the morning, no matter what direction the wind blows from, mostly because I want to try out the new shooting sticks that I just bought.  All my other blinds have nice rests.  I can shoot 360 degrees with the shooting sticks from that pop up blind and they got to come from somewhere.  
 

I will shower with scent-free soap, wear my scent-lock jacket, and open up my half stick of Evercalm, in attempt to fool those that are downwind.  
 

Edit: just checked the forecast: wind is supposed to be 5 mph from southeast.  That’s perfect for the pop up blind.  I can approach from downwind without alerting any that might be in bedding areas or out feeding.  

 

I just get out there. I have my wallyworld  Step- Stool to sit on in front of a Tree. And,I just got done with 30 minutes of Training.  I am walking in extra early today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in position now, in my pop-up blind on the west side foodplot court, about 6 minutes after Legal start shooting time.  I had trouble with (3) 4-legged intruders on my walk back, which is why I am a little late.  
 

First, as I was walking down the short mowed path along the creek bank on the north edge of the field, I noticed something small and white waddling towards me.  I smelled it at the same time.  Rather than stay on the path, I yielded to the skunk and cut off of the path, figuring that I already had enough cover scent with my Evercalm.

Shortly after I evaded that (thankfully, without getting sprayed), I stopped to apply Evercalm to my boots, about 50 yards from the edge of the corn and 150 from my blind.  I suppose the two deer (probably bucks), that were feeding in the corn at the time, heard me then.

They could not have smelled me with the SSE wind, but they bolted out across the neighbor’s hayfield, to the exact same place that (3) bucks ran to, when I flushed them out of there a few weeks ago with my field car.  Good riddens to them now.  They can come back in November, but I have no use for them now.

It was too dark to see their antlers, but one was significantly larger than the other.  I bet that was the “well outside the ears” buck that I flushed out of there the last time, and the other was one of the two 1.4 yr olds that was with him then.

He must not have “played nice” with the other 1.4 year old that he had with him then.  That would probably be the “unicorn fork-horn” that I saw over on the east side on Tuesday afternoon. 

I have my binoculars, to make extra sure of deer identification.  Only a mature doe will do, and I am hunting with an open-sighted gun this morning. 

The whitetail institute “tall tine tubers” are up about 1.5 ft and looking pretty sweet, as is the wheat/clover/alfalfa that I planted back here a couple weeks ago.  So far though, it seems to be only that 2 acres of RR corn, that I planted before Memorial day, that is attracting the deer.

83A7FFEE-7FB4-4C04-A92F-09EC1D05CCAE.thumb.jpeg.9ae42ac835d7b49a9c28497b2f491f15.jpeg


1061F1A2-51E1-4375-BC12-233D5A28B687.thumb.jpeg.c9814d17cc7c8afaeea544f12b56f9b3.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just set adjusted and set up the new Bog shooting sticks, that I picked up at Runnings a month ago.  They seem pretty nice.  They are very light and easy to adjust.  
 

My short, open-sighted Remington 870 feels rock-solid on them.  There is a mature doe out at 200 yards, down the the gas line right now, but that’s way too far of a poke for this 100 yard max “bazooka”.

FA30C32E-FD3F-4696-B4F5-0A69233AEA4C.thumb.jpeg.fb6002f0c0cf6f180c9ef4aeb889db85.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The boys are back.  I heard some antlers ticking behind me, so I pulled the zipper down a little on that side and saw them sparring about 50 yards away. A 2.4 year old “just outside the ears” 8-point eventually got within 5 yards of my blind.  I snapped a picture, at about 20 yards thru the crack, when he turned and walked away.

847914A7-10D6-47F6-8608-273558AC45B6.thumb.jpeg.976c43e5171b4eddd3b1bdb8ce6c6d5a.jpeg

The Texas hart shot would have been a piece of cake right there, even with the 12 ga open-sighted “bazooka” that I am hunting with right now. He would be a sure shooter for me, if I had a legal tag.  
 

Where the hell are the girls ?  Hopefully, they all get together at the food court before 9:30, when I am pulling the plug on this hunt.  
 

This will be my last early antlerless hunt at home this year.  My parents want sweetcorn and I have a real good supply of that right now.  I am going to take them a bushel to freeze, and do one last hunt over there tomorrow afternoon (if a doe don’t show up in range here over the next hour).  
 

They have been seeing deer over there, out on the clover plot behind their house, the last few evenings. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welp my son has been doing his scouting before school when opening up the chickens. Group of deer moving thru our field a little before 7am everyday this week. We got up at 6am this morning and sat in our "shooting shack" on the edge of the field. Around 7:05 he spooted 2 doe moving from our right to our left in some tall grass. They made their way into a mowed section just under 200 yards out. One stop for a perfect broadside shot, i told him to aim just a little over the center line of her body. He shoots and she takes off 30 yards and is in our woods. Maybe 10 seconds later a doe jumps out of the woods into the field at 180 yards. I cant see blood on it and we quickly decide he should take the shot, she drops in her tracks. We make our way out and the doe in the field is a 1.5 yr old, definitely smaller than the first shot. I find good blood just into the woods and decide to go back to the house, shed a layer and grab a knife. We quickly pick up on the blood and its easy to see this deer isnt going far, 30 yards into the woods shes piled up. He has filled our freezer enough i can concentrate on just shooting a buck if one gets me excited the rest of the season. Im hoping in a few weeks to pack a elk in there so we may not need anymore venison. His goal is to get his first archery kill this year.

20220917_075500.jpg

20220917_072922.jpg

20220917_073353.jpg

20220917_085303.jpg

  • Like 36
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Welp my son has been doing his scouting before school when opening up the chickens. Group of deer moving thru our field a little before 7am everyday this week. We got up at 6am this morning and sat in our "shooting shack" on the edge of the field. Around 7:05 he spooted 2 doe moving from our right to our left in some tall grass. They made their way into a mowed section just under 200 yards out. One stop for a perfect broadside shot, i told him to aim just a little over the center line of her body. He shoots and she takes off 30 yards and is in our woods. Maybe 10 seconds later a doe jumps out of the woods into the field at 180 yards. I cant see blood on it and we quickly decide he should take the shot, she drops in her tracks. We make our way out and the doe in the field is a 1.5 yr old, definitely smaller than the first shot. I find good blood just into the woods and decide to go back to the house, shed a layer and grab a knife. We quickly pick up on the blood and its easy to see this deer isnt going far, 30 yards into the woods shes piled up. He has filled our freezer enough i can concentrate on just shooting a buck if one gets me excited the rest of the season. Im hoping in a few weeks to pack a elk in there so we may not need anymore venison. His goal is to get his first archery kill this year.

20220917_075500.jpg

20220917_072922.jpg

20220917_073353.jpg

20220917_085303.jpg

Atta boy,good chootin too!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, heavuser said:

Stewart is packed today, came across an empty mineral bucket and a corn pile so far ........ gna get as far away from this crap as possible and call the game warden.

   I enjoyed a nice Quiet hunt near to Stewart this morning. 

 Too bad about  a few bad apples Baiting over there.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I came unbelievably close to shooting a six pointer still in velvet. At 22 yards I couldnt see antlers through the scope. I didn't shoot because it was alone so I was suspicious. Ten minutes later he came back out and I could see his rack. As Im watching him a group of does came in. Huge gal with a fawn first and then this one with no fawn in tow. They all locked up (fug east wind) so I decided to shoot. It was only 45 yards or so. Quartering to which I wanted for that shoulder/neck shot with hopefully no tracking. She went down and never even flinched. Once I was in I started thinking this is a bad idea, its too hot and I have too much to do today. I decided Id sit until 7:30, got the shot at 7:15 and it went perfectly. @Chromeslayer coming through with a butcher was huge! The live deer is the buck9a8c2b5dd48b64fd507222279c9d40e4.jpg
f4b0de873ade31244f344380d013582a.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

   I enjoyed a nice Quiet hunt near to Stewart this morning. 

 Too bad about  a few bad apples Baiting over there.

The nonsense didn't stop, there were 2 parking spaces were I was. I was parked in one spot my buddy in another, a third car decided to make its own parking spot. A young kid got out and proceeded to walk right under us while I tried to politely educate him ....

So crazy, last year no one was going where I was. This year over the course of 8 days I have seen 10-12 cars pull up .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, heavuser said:

The nonsense didn't stop, there were 2 parking spaces were I was. I was parked in one spot my buddy in another, a third car decided to make its own parking spot. A young kid got out and proceeded to walk right under us while I tried to politely educate him ....

So crazy, last year no one was going where I was. This year over the course of 8 days I have seen 10-12 cars pull up .....

And Cynthia says that Stewart does not hold that many Deer as in the past.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Well, hunt #2 is in the books. Saw 10 deer total. I saw 2 sets of doe with fawns. The doe were too skinny, the fawns still in spots, and too far from the car, so they got passes. Then while still hunting out I saw 3 bucks. A 6, an 8 and a 10. Each with a doe. No shots I felt good about though. Too damn hot to be out there looking for deer.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Well, hunt #2 is in the books. Saw 10 deer total. I saw 2 sets of doe with fawns. The doe were too skinny, the fawns still in spots, and too far from the car, so they got passes. Then while still hunting out I saw 3 bucks. A 6, an 8 and a 10. Each with a doe. No shots I felt good about though. Too damn hot to be out there looking for deer.

Sounds amazing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Winter Rye is coming in. Wish we used oats but left them at the house accidentally when we went to seed. I think at the least it’ll fill in parts of two plots that failed to take.

One buck in particular that we had our eyes on and whom I have a shed from this past season broke off a tine pre velvet peel. 

D576182A-40D6-471C-A405-699569DD772B.jpeg

3EC2C92D-AE06-42E4-9A2F-330D799A761C.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hate doing it but made a choice to go in and fix the cam in our hot spot right now and to add a second stand in a spot just south of it based on what I thought was happening. We did our best and got in and out as clean as we could. We will let it chill out for a while and monitor with a trio of cell cams. Of course as we entered we found a scrape right on our entry point. Early but significant. 

Our place is surrounded by standing corn and it’ll cool off once the corn comes down. Until then it has alot of action on a clover plot we put in last year but couldn’t get into, to mow or work due to the corn planting boxing it off this year. Low and behold they are hammering this red clover. Weedy but it’s drawing big time. Might be opening PM spot.
 

 

CBACA95E-6614-40CB-BEF3-A3853E3E883F.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in for my last early antlerless hunt, ready for a doe or a bushytail.  The rain finally stopped, but the west wind is pretty gusty.  Don’t know if anything will be moving.  My parents saw deer back here, the last few evenings.  I am going to give it till 7:28 (10 min past sunset in this location).

70AEA6AB-0C76-48E1-BA44-6F85D2003AF1.thumb.jpeg.8d7ebfa18f1e35862d40ddc406be1ea6.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...