Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I gotta ask. Does it feel a little weird in early september? 

Felt like a fun hunt.  It was 60 degrees which is cooler than alot of early bow hunts, plus I wouldn't hunt early if I didn't have the setup to properly process the meat.  I went with a buddy to a spot I've never been to before.  We actually ended up just sitting together watching deer and a few fox for an hour and a half before we had a big doe come in by herself.  I doubt Ill make it out again this year, but I'll do it again next year if there's a season.  Plus an extra doe in the freezer is a great way to start the season.    

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Felt like a fun hunt.  It was 60 degrees which is cooler than alot of early bow hunts, plus I wouldn't hunt early if I didn't have the setup to properly process the meat.  I went with a buddy to a spot I've never been to before.  We actually ended up just sitting together watching deer and a few fox for an hour and a half before we had a big doe come in by herself.  I doubt Ill make it out again this year, but I'll do it again next year if there's a season.  Plus an extra doe in the freezer is a great way to start the season.    

do you mean you wont make it out again for the doe september hunt or that you're not going to make it out at all again this season?

Looking like 56 degrees for the 9/15 CT BUCK opener with a 6:03am legal shooting. Coldest morning in 5 months!

CT = 1/2 hour before sunrise but only until sunset. 

Edited by BizCT

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I have access to dmap's as well. I haven't used them as my area isn't really crawling with doe. They shelter in the nearby unhuntable burbs. Even if I did have a lot of doe, it would just feel odd. I guess it'd be something one would get used to though.

These aren't DMAP, they are nuisance permits that are valid from 4/15 through the end of September. The farm that I use them on isn't exactly overrun with does either so it's like actually hunting. It's nice to put some fresh venison in the freezer before season. I believe that this will be the last year that they apply for the permits, but that's fine with me. Not too hard to fill a DMP or two during that 3 month long season we have now.

2 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

These aren't DMAP, they are nuisance permits that are valid from 4/15 through the end of September. The farm that I use them on isn't exactly overrun with does either so it's like actually hunting. It's nice to put some fresh venison in the freezer before season. I believe that this will be the last year that they apply for the permits, but that's fine with me. Not too hard to fill a DMP or two during that 3 month long season we have now.

my bad, I mixed up the 2. 

On my 6th time out since the September 10 opener, I finally saw my first deer of the 2022 early antlerless gun season.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t antlerless.  It looked like a 1.4 year old 4-point.  

Better than nothing I suppose.  He will be safe from me until 15 minutes past sunset (30 if there’s snow) on January 1, 2023.

FF317CCF-8324-455F-BE81-BA54B5D2EE0F.thumb.jpeg.127b3ecd6c56bcf01c49b495a70c8da9.jpeg 

He was standing 10 yards from the stand I hunted last night, 20 minutes ago, on my walk back to my natural blind near the center of our place.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

The young buck is back out munching on the clover plot I hunted over last night.  He’s a damn unicorn.  I thought maybe so, after zooming in on the earlier pics, that I took on the walk back.  He had a single, tall, well-polished fork on the left and nothing on the right.  Must have broke it off on some earlier sparring.

He is 175 yards directly downwind.  I have an open half stick of EverCalm laying down by my feet, and he hasn’t a clue that I am here.

Edited by wolc123

The Good Lord certainly provides.  His timing was perfect this time.  I think last years fawn was with her and passed first at 5 yards upwind.  I was ready when she came by, and made the quartering away heart shot at 15 yards.

She bolted thru a small patch of brush, made a half circle thru my shooting lane, and I saw her drop there, 50 yards away.  She’s gutted, tagged and hanging in the garage now.  I have a church elders meeting at 8:30 and I will skin her, cut her in half and hang in the deer fridge after that.  It’s plugged in and cooling down now.

1F44E443-781E-4704-BBDB-32F8A964243C.thumb.jpeg.bf6b2c5796f2b055e0ea83c536926f99.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 8

The Good Lord certainly provides.  His timing was perfect this time.  I think last years fawn was with her and passed first at 5 yards upwind.  I was ready when she came by, and made the quartering away heart shot at 15 yards.
She bolted thru a small patch of brush, made a half circle thru my shooting lane, and I saw her drop there, 50 yards away.  She’s gutted, tagged and hanging in the garage now.  I have a church elders meeting at 8:30 and I will skin her, cut her in half and hang in the deer fridge after that.  It’s plugged in and cooling down now.
1F44E443-781E-4704-BBDB-32F8A964243C.thumb.jpeg.bf6b2c5796f2b055e0ea83c536926f99.jpeg

Atta boy!!! Make meat!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Congrats! That fridge/freezer behind the deer has seen some stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BizCT said:

Congrats! That fridge/freezer behind the deer has seen some stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am sure it has, since it was new back in the 1950’s .  I like the old non frost free ones like that because the meat don’t dry out too much in them.  
Back strap momma is a deer fridge filler for sure.  

A little pressed for time tonight so I didn’t get a chest girth measurement.  She was very fat and didn’t have any milk in her.  Coyotes must have got this year’s fawn.  

I trimmed all the external fat that I could and she’s in the fridge till Saturday late morning.  ML is cleaned, and all gear is washed.   

Only glitch was I forgot my Gerber saw so I brought grandpas old meat saw back with the tractor when I fetched her to cut thru the pelvis.  I always do that to make sure everything near the tenderloins is rinsed clean (with fresh blood from forward of the diaphragm) of any piss or poop.  I’d rather my tenderloins taste like blood than that stuff.
788D92BC-C47A-4D4A-BF49-383F5EC832D4.thumb.jpeg.b5a1ba8be81d018c97d767a087a1d889.jpeg

98FE2127-9D49-456C-8C79-EC9AD2481317.thumb.jpeg.d48e838f3c9686de5682752625a4ae6d.jpeg

535E5637-37FF-4BCE-9AA5-BF6E496DAA44.thumb.jpeg.afe7d21d81947f593c2b47da4c0a171d.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

I am sure it has, since it was new back in the 1950’s .  I like the old non frost free ones like that because the meat don’t dry out too much in them.  
Back strap momma is a deer fridge filler for sure.  

A little pressed for time tonight so I didn’t get a chest girth measurement.  She was very fat and didn’t have any milk in her.  Coyotes must have got this year’s fawn.  

I trimmed all the external fat that I could and she’s in the fridge till Saturday late morning.  ML is cleaned, and all gear is washed.   

Only glitch was I forgot my Gerber saw so I brought grandpas old meat saw back with the tractor when I fetched her to cut thru the pelvis.  I always do that to make sure everything near the tenderloins is rinsed clean (with fresh blood from forward of the diaphragm) of any piss or poop.  I’d rather my tenderloins taste like blood than that stuff.
788D92BC-C47A-4D4A-BF49-383F5EC832D4.thumb.jpeg.b5a1ba8be81d018c97d767a087a1d889.jpeg
98FE2127-9D49-456C-8C79-EC9AD2481317.thumb.jpeg.d48e838f3c9686de5682752625a4ae6d.jpeg
535E5637-37FF-4BCE-9AA5-BF6E496DAA44.thumb.jpeg.afe7d21d81947f593c2b47da4c0a171d.jpeg

Sweet...that last pic needs a Genny to make it complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Thats a beaut!  Congrats to you Wolc !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Pics of whatever !

Hopefully they aren't bedded in my walk in like this morning! 603am legal shooting and they were bedded at 528am. I have no choice but to walk through this area to my spot tomorrow. But odds are they wont be there 2 days in a row.

bed.jpg

• Like 1