trail cam video

Robhuntandfish

This year i put up a trail cam on video right across from two cams i have on regular pics.  WOW what a difference.  The cams on pics only are missing so much.  The difference is unbelieveable.  In my 4 best buck stands i am going to all video for next year and use the cams that just take pics in some fringe areas and replace them as they go. On several of the cams i would get one blurry pic of a buck strutting by quickly the ones on cam set for 3 seconds of video show the true tale and provide so much more info.  Glad i tried this experiment.  

• Like 5

I switched to video three years ago and instantly realized how many deer I was missing. It can be a long process reviewing them, but I have caught so many great bucks (and a bear) in the last second or two of a 15 second video triggered by a doe or small buck.

Here is a great example of what you can miss with still shots (00:19), I killed that buck three weeks later in that exact spot.

• Like 11

On 10/26/2022 at 8:22 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

This year i put up a trail cam on video right across from two cams i have on regular pics.  WOW what a difference.  The cams on pics only are missing so much.  The difference is unbelieveable.  In my 4 best buck stands i am going to all video for next year and use the cams that just take pics in some fringe areas and replace them as they go. On several of the cams i would get one blurry pic of a buck strutting by quickly the ones on cam set for 3 seconds of video show the true tale and provide so much more info.  Glad i tried this experiment.  

Did the same with different cameras.. amazing what you miss with a cheap camera.  And if you do do photos 5 shot bursts at minimum.

• Like 2

IIRC I've been exclusively using video on my trail cams since 2009 and back then they were awful!  Today I use all Browning cams and one Spartan, and am pretty satisfied.  Some of my favorite videos aren't even deer; fisher, bobcat, bear and even a couple crazy flying squirrels in the dark of the night.  

I switched to video three years ago and instantly realized how many deer I was missing. It can be a long process reviewing them, but I have caught so many great bucks (and a bear) in the last second or two of a 15 second video triggered by a doe or small buck.
Here is a great example of what you can miss with still shots (00:19), I killed that buck three weeks later in that exact spot.

What's that forky at 37 seconds thinking!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video is good but it really does take time to view them all so it adds up. I used to run alot more video than I do now and it would take me 2-4 hours to view them all. Now, I generally only run them on scrapes or very key select areas on cells that will send them.

• 1 month later...