What's wrong with this deer

First-light

I have never seen that sort of thing before. At first I thought the deer was standing in what I thought was a normal condition. Certainly it wasn't in the out-of-control unstable condition that it became after the guy got up to it. But actually that isn't real typical behavior for the deer to be just standing there while someone drives right up to it either. So I really don't think it was some kind of seizure reaction to getting scared. I'm not sure that it is some kind of disease either since there was nothing lethargic about its actions. We'll probably never know.

I saw something real similar to that on "The Incredible Dr. Pol". I think it was with a dog, or a goat though. It kept spinning in circles and losing it's balance.

Turned out to be from pressure on the brain, I forget the cause.

They said the animal was suffering from the most intense headache imaginable. I bet the Dr. Pol clip is probably on you tube somewhere, but I don't have time to look for it. Interesting similarities.

If the snail or slug carries the infective stage of the meningeal worm larvae, it can move through the deer’s gut and into the central nervous system where they mature and produce eggs. The eggs are then excreted by the animal, and the meningeal worm’s life cycle starts over. 

In unnatural hosts, after 10 to 14 days of ingestion, the larvae migrate straight to the brain and spinal cord. They don’t mature into adults; instead, they move through the central nervous system, causing swelling, which damages the tissue and creates neurologic symptoms. If the larvae are in the animal’s spinal cord, symptoms include a limp or weakness on one or more of its legs or partial or complete paralysis. If the larvae are in the brain, symptoms include blindness, head tilt and circling.

Although the whitetail is a natural host of brain worms without any problems some can be infected to a point of problems!

This deer looks to have a broken front leg! The deers left leg at 5 seconds into video.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 1

My first thought was an infection or parasite in the inner ear. Can cause a complete loss of balance and orientation. Not sure if this happens in deer, but I think most mammals are susceptible to it. May even have caused the broken leg, rather than being a result of it.

I've seen a lot of three-legged critters do just fine in the wild, but I've never seen anything like that.

I don't really think there is anything wrong with the deer's front left leg other than along with the rest of it's body, it has absolutely no control. Notice that when the deer falls over it is mostly falling toward its right side. If the left leg was broke, it would be going down toward the left side.

I noticed that when the ATV comes up on the deer in the very first seconds of the video, it is standing quite still looking away..... on its feet and looking quite stable. No sign of imbalance or seizure at that point.

• Like 1