What would you do...

Borngeechee

In the past I would let it pass.  Now i am having second thoughts (not having a good shot opportunity at deer recently maybe be part of it), especially with recent bear visits in my village.

I need to check the local town law about bow use in town and check with my neighbors to see about taking out the local pest come Sept. 6th.  He/she hit my house again and the neighbors.  I had no choice about putting out the trash - it was trash day.

This is why I do not walk the dog at night any more and have to check the yard before letting her out to take of her personal needs for the night.

At least so far the bear has not been aggressive, just a nuisance.

I would shoot the bear if it was a good size...Elmo you guys are still newly weds you well learn to start keeping money on the side for your hobbies.....

Thanks. Fortunately I had received that advise before so we already are keeping separate kitties. Somehow, she still criticizes my purchases. Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

I would probably shoot it, but having helped get a 250 pound bear out of the woods once I would say it's much more difficult than getting a large deer out of the woods.......

A guide that I hunted with in Idaho told me that he never  packed a bear out that weighed more than 30 lbs. Just the hide

If a bear is shot, the #1 priority should be speedy recovery of that animal not shooting more. People who gripe about the flavor of bear meat are probably the guys who didn't cape the bear (or even know how) before hauling it out if the woods. If you can't hang a deer or bear by your self, you better start eating your wheaties! Cooling the meat asap is important both for taste and general food safety. Bear meat can carry trichonosis.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Id shoot and worry about getting it out afterwards. I got a bunch of friends who don't hunt but I'm sure they would be willing to help drag a bear out. Being in 3N my odds are pretty much 0% of seeing one

there are lost of bears in Putnam and Dutchess. try the NYC property in Kent ( seen 2 there 2 yrs ago) or state land off rt 22 (saw 8 last year...might have been the same ones on different dates). My brother got one bow season and his son got one shotgun last year. we saw about 8 in total last season...but they could have been the same bear. At least once a year one gets killed on 684 or rt 22. last one killed by a car was cub in patterson a few weeks back.

there are plenty of bears...just hard to actually see them or pattern them.

If you're out on a deer hunt and a big black bear appears giving you the perfect broadside shot, would you take the shot or wait for your deer?

Had this happen last year at my camp in Allegany county....it was the first bear I had seen on the property in 10 years of owning it. I let him walk. But, I've already killed a few bears in my lifetime, so I guess I'm a little biased. If I had never killed one before, I probably would have pulled the trigger.