Wife and hunting

Borngeechee

Fortunately, The Mermaid is an old farm girl and grew up with the knowledge that meat comes from real live animals.

Her dad raised and slaughtered his own cows, pigs and chickens, and he was an avid hunter besides.

She prefers venison over beef.

She is not interested in killing anything herself, but she enjoys eating the game and fish that I bring home.

• Like 5

I had a girlfriend just like that.  She would say DON'T get one as I went off hunting, she jinxed me every time. 

I try to explain the connection to nature and the circle of life.  The balance of nature and how I help with population control and overeating of their food supply.  I also explain where meat comes from and it is not the supermarket.  I also inform them how hunters have been green before any vegan ever was in existence and how we would not be here if people did not hunt.  In the not so distant past hunting was a part of life vs a sport.

Sometimes nothing you say will change their view but at least they can get a better understanding of why we love the outdoors so much and why the creatures we support greatly benefit from our labors of love with our land.     

Nope. She comes from a family of hunters and loves venny just as much as me. She always picks the bullet that I load in the gun first on opening morning. She listens to all my endless hunting stories, ideas and strategies. Also puts up with my predator hunting addiction which keeps me out late quite often. Always supportive and wishing me luck.

For that I am blessed.

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

Back in our much younger days, Mrs. Doc used to run the trapline during the week while I was working some very heavy overtime. The line was a few miles long, so it was no small feat. Strangely enough, she never got into hunting but certainly has no problem preparing whatever I get for our meals, and absolutely understands why I am into it. Fishing is another thing ...... She is into that far more than I am.

She is not interested in killing anything herself, but she enjoys eating the game and fish that I bring home.

Same here. My hunting mentors were a bunch of guys who were excited to get away from the wife or girlfriend for a few days and let their hair down a little, now I've got quite a few years of wedded bliss under my belt, I understand why.

I can just hear Mrs. Uncle Nicky now..."It's too hot...It's too cold....where's the bathroom out here??....my feet hurt from all this walking....this sucks, no internet/cell service, can't call my sister/mother/job...". No thanks :negative:.

I can talk her into 1 or 2 fishing ventures a year, but the boat MUST have a head, or she's not going. And she always walks out of the bathroom holding her nose and her hand over her stomach. Ain't love grand??

Edited by Uncle Nicky

yea I think this is a very common problem lol.  I continue to hear the negative comments on hunting and I just love throwing it back at em as far as referring to the next time they eat a steak to think about putting a bolt gun up to its head and driving a piece of steel through its brains.  Or loading a bunch of pigs into a pen and crushing them to death!  These animals sit in there own shit there entire lives with a hole cut into their stomachs to monitor the digestion of an unnatural and nutrition less food source like corn.  I usually explain the fact that these animals got the chance to live naturally enjoying a lifetime in the woods and a quick death due to an ethical shot.  As far as the actual hunting aspect goes most people were not raised in a country back round UNFORTUNATLY.  I wish that's how I was raised but it truly wasn't.  I discovered a love for this sport all on my own.  Even my father snarls at me every time I bring up hunting because he used to hunt and my mother hated it so he pretends he never did.  I brought it up one time and he gave me the finger lol  I wish my wife would get into it.  She has helped me track down a deer I shot and also helped me dragg it out of the woods as well.  As far as hunting goes though most people wouldn't think twice about spending the entire day sitting in a tree lol  Especially on long island where we have a massive overpopulation problem however people still stick to their weak minded cute cuddly side that this is a world where killing doesn't happen and the garden nomes will just tell the deer to go away.  I love watching them sink there teeth into a big bloody piece of steak chewing and macerating the meat between there teeth enjoying the taste of animal fat as it slides around inside their mouth.  Yet if you were to put a bolt gun in there hands and introduce them to the steak would they eat it after drilling a hole through their forehead? In reality people would be quicker to kill each other for food in a time of crisis then to ever learn how to hunt.  The only way I could imagine bringing my wife out for a hunt is if there is another hunter with a wife and kids and we rent a cabin where the men go out for a hunt while the women stay at home together playing with the kids.  It must be cool to have a chick that's into it.  Im sure if your rich as hell and can afford to go on trips around the world with guided hunts where you both get to sit in a ground blind while animals are drawn to a watering hole then cool.  However in the real world hunting is hard work.  Most people are lazy by nature especially with all the new technology to play with.  Hard work for something you aren't obsessed with is hard to find people that are willing to do. 

• Like 1

My wife grew up on a farm hunting with her father.  According to him, she never shot anything because she was too busy reading her book as giant bucks stood there.  She's gone out with me a bunch of times, every time she brings a book.  I am not sure if she could shoot one, she says she could.  She loves to eat venison, helps with the butchering process, and thinks I should kill every deer out there.  She is extremely pissed this year because one ate her beans in the garden.  She said she's going to shoot that one.  I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

I married a city girl. It was tough at first.

She didn’t like guns and couldn't understand that someone would need more than one. Then she didn't see why would someone would want to kill a cute animal.

But after the many days I’d get back from hunting she would say "did you get one”, and when I would she would be happy for me and knew the effort I put in.

Now 5 years later it’s just a routine. she knows hunting season's coming up. Brags to her family when I harvest something and loves cooking different venison recipes.

Just stay passionate Borngeechee, hopefully she'll come around.

• Like 2

You are lucky indeed Predate... my better half complaints that I'm hunting yet she cleans the venison schinkenspeck faster than anyone... go figure, if you ever understand then them , give me a call..... :-)

My wife is the same. Doesn't like hunting but understands I do and rolls with it. She even asked when the season started so she can go visit family since I am not around. lol

She is also excellent at cleaning the venison and shrink wrapping. I have no complaints.

Wife has no problem with me hunting.  I just have to skin and clean it first.

Initial problem was about having a firearm in the house, I was allowed to hunt, but no firearm in the house.

Of course she robbed at gun point and shot 20+ years ago, so I couldn't really blame her on that.

That least it was a minor wound.

Now have to work on getting her to shoot at some point.

When I went squirrel hunting with Elmo, she told me if I catch anything she doesn't want me to cook it in the house even if it was already skinned. If I did cook it in the house I had to but seperate pots and the kids weren't allowed to eat it smh.

Do all you guys south of Poughkeepsie wear skirts...lol.

• Like 2