NY #1 in worst state to deer hunt in

HectorBuckBuster

That article is about as bad as it gets. It really is THAT bad.

Wisconsin. One of the proverbial juggernauts of whitetail deer hunting. Give me a break.

From the article:

As deer season approaches (or is already open in many states) we’ve all read about the “best” states for chasing whitetails. States like Kansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Wisconsin, and Indiana consistently produce large numbers of trophy deer.

Then:

9) Wisconsin

Wisconsin is arguably one of the best states in the nation for chasing big whitetails. Over the years many record book deer have come from this great state.

54% of the bucks killed in 2013 were yearlings, however, and this combined with low temps and large amounts of snow earn Wisconsin a spot on our list.

Saw that too and was wondering the same thing lol

If you can be successful in NY, I believe you can hunt in many other states just as good if not better. Obviously not all states...

This is what we say about New Hampshire

Of course for us it is about the Venison I could care less if I ever have another wall hanger

I think NY has good oppertunities to shoot quality deer

Where do you see this author is associated with QDMA?

There is a footnote in the article, that he got his data from the QDMA.  Being that he is using plenty of this data in his article, mostly the percentage of young bucks that are taken in these "worst" states.  This seems to be a very BAD thing in the view of both the author and QDMA, so I will take it that the QDMA is not objecting to what this author wrote here.  If people feel that the QDMA's opinion is something different, someone should get them to make a rebuttal.

There is a footnote in the article, that he got his data from the QDMA.  Being that he is using plenty of this data in his article, mostly the percentage of young bucks that are taken in these "worst" states.  This seems to be a very BAD thing in the view of both the author and QDMA, so I will take it that the QDMA is not objecting to what this author wrote here.  If people feel that the QDMA's opinion is something different, someone should get them to make a rebuttal.

Data is data.

Someone quoting another publicly released data source doesn't implicate them into whatever viewpoints the author has.

I could do the same thing with poor people using US Census information, stating that these are the ten worst states to live in. Doesn't mean the US or the Census group hates poor people. They merely collected the data on it.

Media slants are nothing new. Skew data to make their opinion, belief, etc. more digestable.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the reason he used data from QDMA is because it is one of the few places to get all state's harvest data from one source without going to every DEC, DEEP, DNR, etc. site.

Any way you slice it, NY still should be in the top 10 worst deer hunting states. Extremely high pressure and liberal bag limits are reflected in the harvest data. Trust me, if a hunter can get it done in NY, they can get it done anywhere....

He got some of the data from the QDMA annual report. You made it sound as if the sponsor this article with your comment about a rebuttal. That is a kin to asking the FBI to print a rebuttal If I wrote an article that is pro gun using the FBI's crime statistics report.

Did you read their annual report to see what was in it?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I'm pretty sure the reason he used data from QDMA is because it is one of the few places to get all state's harvest data from one source without going to every DEC, DEEP, DNR, etc. site.

Any way you slice it, NY still should be in the top 10 worst deer hunting states. Extremely high pressure and liberal bag limits are reflected in the harvest data. Trust me, if a hunter can get it done in NY, they can get it done anywhere....

Agreed. I think the issue is the #1 dinstinction. I don't think NY is the worst. Certainly top ten...but not worst.

He got some of the data from the QDMA annual report. You made it sound as if the sponsor this article with your comment about a rebuttal. That is a kin to asking the FBI to print a rebuttal If I wrote an article that is pro gun using the FBI's crime statistics report.

Did you read their annual report to see what was in it?

No, I didn't read that report from beginning to end, although I have read enough things from QDMA in the past to know that all they care about is BIG bucks.  They give us the song and dance that they are about the health of the herd, habitat, etc., but I will never be convinced that BIG bucks is not what they are all about.  The QDMA was started in Texas where having BIG bucks to shoot is all they really care about.   For many hunters like myself, killing BIG bucks is not what drives us to go hunting, thus I think any organization or author who belittles the idea of killing bucks that in their opinion are too young to kill, I consider one and the same in ideology.

Agreed. I think the issue is the #1 dinstinction. I don't think NY is the worst. Certainly top ten...but not worst.

Come on- I like being #1! It should make everyone feel like they accomplished something when they actually get a deer.

Top 3 are NY, PA, and PA in no particular order.

• Like 2

No, I didn't read that report from beginning to end, although I have read enough things from QDMA in the past to know that all they care about is BIG bucks.  They give us the song and dance that they are about the health of the herd, habitat, etc., but I will never be convinced that BIG bucks is not what they are all about.  The QDMA was started in Texas where having BIG bucks to shoot is all they really care about.   For many hunters like myself, killing BIG bucks is not what drives us to go hunting, thus I think any organization or author who belittles the idea of killing bucks that in their opinion are too young to kill, I consider one and the same in ideology.

I understand you feelings on the issue and we share the distaste for AR's. I actually had a similar feeling about QDMA when I went to the meeting out here about the new branch. I have changed my mind, however, through my involvement. I would not be truthful if I tried to say there are members that would love to shove their views down someone else's throats but that isn't the majority of the members I have met and anyone from national I have met do not share that view.

It is 68 pages and not the most recent report but see if you can read through it. It isn't the propaganda paper you think (FSW will probably disagree on this reports look into the captive whitetail and breeding section though) There is some very interesting info in there.

My point on this thread was that this was NOT a QDMA article and not written by a QDMA representative. The report was used for harvest data only from what I can see.

And if you really think bi bucks is what they/we are all about, I would love for you to come out to one of our events, whether it is the youth hunts we are setting up now , our disabled vet hunts or our education events. Great group of people in this branch and I'll buy dinner.

• Like 1

Tittle should read:  NYS is the hardest state to get a trophy deer.  This article is not about hunting, its about trophy hunting!  The harvest numbers are similar to other states.

Just proves that if you harvest  a mature deer in NY you are one of the top hunters in the country.  Right?  Sarcasm, but is it?

IF you harvest a buck that's 3.5 you are in the top 18% of the hardest state to hunt.  Yes this is a big accomplishment!

Sounds to me like if you can harvest a deer in NY other states would be easy.  See how statistics can bend the truth. 

I believe this is accurate and NYS hunters are hunting the hardest land in the country if you want a mature deer.

This is another reason I believe NY hunters are some of the best in the country.  (That should get me some likes, lol)  Yea I am bored sitting at home, wishing I was stalking!  Time to shake this cold, hurl some arrows and spray the clothes!  NFA, GETSOME baby!   Enough talk!  Time to crush my enemy!

• Like 4

I understand you feelings on the issue and we share the distaste for AR's. I actually had a similar feeling about QDMA when I went to the meeting out here about the new branch. I have changed my mind, however, through my involvement. I would not be truthful if I tried to say there are members that would love to shove their views down someone else's throats but that isn't the majority of the members I have met and anyone from national I have met do not share that view.

It is 68 pages and not the most recent report but see if you can read through it. It isn't the propaganda paper you think (FSW will probably disagree on this reports look into the captive whitetail and breeding section though) There is some very interesting info in there.

My point on this thread was that this was NOT a QDMA article and not written by a QDMA representative. The report was used for harvest data only from what I can see.

And if you really think bi bucks is what they/we are all about, I would love for you to come out to one of our events, whether it is the youth hunts we are setting up now , our disabled vet hunts or our education events. Great group of people in this branch and I'll buy dinner.

Ahem- I hate QDMA too.. You know, if you're buying dinner and all...

• Like 4

My point on this thread was that this was NOT a QDMA article and not written by a QDMA representative. The report was used for harvest data only from what I can see.

FSW sure has not read any of the 68 pages and will not bother. When it comes to QDMA although i do agree with parts of the whole concept of it, when it comes to their stance on deer farms and high fence they like to talk out of both sides of the face.  You see after the smoke all cleared and the facts shown the 2 of the top dogs of the QDMA  own,run and profit off of deer farming and high fence hunting by owning and running such in the states of Florida and Pa. Let alone profiting from both by selling high fence hunts every year at their fundraiser. But to get back on subject, a little while back i was slammed for kinda making my own rules when it comes to my land but i do so and i enjoy watching mature bucks chasing does around in our corn and bean fields through the months of Nov and Dec when everyone else around our property see's very little. If you dont like the way things look on your property then change it. Letting someone that sits behind a desk and tells you what,where and how many should be taken when they have no clue as to whats there will just get you a little more time sitting up in the tree's watching the geese fly by.  Sorry thats not for me and i dont see my hunting in Ny state to be bad at all on either ends of the state!

At one time I belonged to a hunting club on L.I., N.Y. There were members there that spent $$$$$$$ hunting in Texas, Iowa, and Ill. At he club they scored with larger racks and bigger bodies then in the other states they hunted,they just said no more plane tickets , motel or hotel fees.Just a 1/2 to 1 hour ride and hunt for 4 months out of the year .The Long Island deer feed on Potato, pumpkin and acorns not just leaves and bus on trees.

i found this interesting right off the bat

Michigan ranks second nationally in the percentage of yearling bucks harvested in 2013 (59% of all bucks harvested).

deer hunting success is all relative...

but hard to argue with this

This, combined with the highest average snowfall in the nation, means that New York has a large number of hunters enduring miserable conditions and a hostile political climate (in New York, you pay extra for your bowhunting “privilege”) to hunt a deer herd that is imbalanced at best.
Edited by Belo