Am I out of my mind?????

First-light

To answer your question Yes. I paid $70 a box for 7-08 a while back at the height of the ammo shortage and I feel that was insane btw I bought two and have gotten it a lot cheaper since and didn't use any of it yet. Paranoia will destroy ya.

• Like 2

I am so glad that I got into reloading . Even though the reloading components rose in price , it is still less that buying ammo outright . Waiting for two of my sons and grandson to test some rounds so I can do some more reloading for them .

• Like 2

I loaded a couple boxes of 35 Rem 200 grain hornady interlok rounds for my brother last week, $8 a box.

No tax, driving or waiting in line.

He bought the die set, powder, primers and projos years ago and all I do is load him a couple boxes each year so he can get some target practice on woodchucks before the season opens.

SJC

• Like 3

Never too late to get involved and start handloading, it is the best way to protect yourself from shortages and gouging. It is also a fun and enjoyable activity giving a lot of self satisfaction producing ammo that is the equal to or even better than factory stuff at a reasonable cost.

For the high prices paid for a couple of boxes of ammo a modest reloading setup can be easily purchased off of ebay.

Al

• Like 3

Yeah I need to finally buy reloading equipment and just start reloading. It’s gotten out of hand. I don’t even shoot much anymore. Just sight things in before season. Any shooting I do is just my 22. They are doing a good job driving people away from the shooting sports. It’s sad. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, maddie said:

Good luck finding large rifle primers if you get into reloading.

There are a couple of outfits setting up new factories and production lines for primers so hopefully shortly into the future they will again become readily available. At the spring Syracuse gun show there was a vendor selling a European brand of Lg rifle primers at decent prices, I can not recall their name, he had a good inventory and my buddy purchased a couple of hundred to give them a try.

In a pinch Gun Broker has vendors selling at scalper prices so they can be had.

Al

1 hour ago, PraiseDiana said:

targetsportsusa.com has some large rifle primers in stock today. I have no frame of reference for the price though - they are looking for $120 for 1000.

I still have some of my large rifle primers that I bought at Beikirch's for less than $3 / hundred . We won't ever see that again . I still have over 900 lg pistol primers . 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 12:31 PM, PraiseDiana said:

targetsportsusa.com has some large rifle primers in stock today. I have no frame of reference for the price though - they are looking for $120 for 1000.

That is one of the better prices I have seen for Lg Rifle primers, prices on 1000 are usually going in the $160 range.

Al

The Lee Challenger set is a good set to start out with for reloading . It has the basic necessities at a reasonable price . Once you get your feet wet doing a little reloading , you can add to this outfit . A lot less than RCBS , Hornaday , Lyman , etc ..

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-presses-accessories/reloading-kits/50th-anniversary-kit/?sku=100010149&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-010-149&cnxclid=16869639216725606047710090302008005&utm_term=16869639216725606047710090302008005

• Like 1

Powder Valley has got a bunch of these European large rifle primers in stock, 5000 going for $499, that is the cheapest I have seen. Most do not need that many but two or three guys splitting them up is an option.

Unis Ginex Large Rifle Primer (5000 ct)

SKU: UG553N

I have a lifetime's supply of reloaded ammo that I have built over a bunch of years. I don't buy factory ammo anymore. And when I bought reloading components, I made sure that I didn't cut myself short on quantity, so the price of what I've got looks ridiculously cheap.

The only way the anti-gunners can get to me is if they outlaw lead bullets.

probably obvious to everyone, but the remington 150 grain shells that are shown in this post are spitzer (or at least pointed). Generally not considered safe in tube magazine rifles, although I know some folks run them. Lots of folks around here use them in their 760's

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farflung said:

probably obvious to everyone, but the remington 150 grain shells that are shown in this post are spitzer (or at least pointed). Generally not considered safe in tube magazine rifles, although I know some folks run them. Lots of folks around here use them in their 760's

Are you saying it's unsafe to shoot those shells I bought? 

There are far more tube magazine rifles chambered in 35 Rem than anything else, in this day and age of litigation for just about everything under the sun I would think there would be a warning on the box not to fire those cartridges in a lever action if there was a safety problem. 

Al

Tubular Magazines and Bullet Shape - Shooting Times

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 12:31 PM, PraiseDiana said:

Curious ... just went to that site and does one have to join (for $95 ) to buy ammo ? And will they deliver to New York ?

Edited by GreeneHunter

They used to deliver to NY, but no longer do.  The state made them send in a list of every NY resident that got an ammo delivery since the SAFE ACT was passed, even though the requirement to do a NICS check on ammo was overturned.  NY threatened any direct to home ammo shipper, so they all stopped.