Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

I won’t get out again this week up my land in 6k before I leave for Illinois on Friday for a week. Still stressing over leaving the office for a week of hunting but I owe it to my nephew to do this trip with him. Its a bucket kist hunt. We have had 15-20 does and young bucks out in the plots at the same time on our 3 hunts. Last picture is of a big 6 I am considering taking. Third year he has been a 6 and I love big 6s. We have 2 nice 8s that I think will get a pass this year. Its just my wife snd me on the 160 acres we bought 3 years ago.  No one hunts the 7-800 or more surrounding acres. We are trying to see what potential we have to grow some big deer. 

IMG_2230.jpeg

IMG_2221.jpeg

IMG_2281.jpeg

IMG_2277.jpeg

IMG_2278.jpeg

IMG_2280.jpeg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

I won’t get out again this week up my land in 6k before I leave for Illinois on Friday for a week. Still stressing over leaving the office for a week of hunting but I owe it to my nephew to do this trip with him. Its a bucket kist hunt. We have had 15-20 does and young bucks out in the plots at the same time on our 3 hunts. Last picture is of a big 6 I am considering taking. Third year he has been a 6 and I love big 6s. We have 2 nice 8s that I think will get a pass this year. Its just my wife snd me on the 160 acres we bought 3 years ago.  No one hunts the 7-800 or more surrounding acres. We are trying to see what potential we have to grow some big deer. 

IMG_2230.jpeg

IMG_2221.jpeg

IMG_2281.jpeg

IMG_2277.jpeg

IMG_2278.jpeg

IMG_2280.jpeg

Beautiful property! Go for the 6!

I'm not a trophy hunter, but won't shoot a spike either. Yesterday I had this guy feed in to 20 yards then bed with his forward shoulder facing me. I knew I could make the shot but figured I'd wait him out. 20min later I hear my nephews truck and see him park, the buck could see him too.  I knew he was going bolt as he started to "lift", so I shot.  Bolt hit him just in front of the shoulder. He went 80 yrds. Arrow took out heart, lungs and liver. 

IMG_20231025_210700.jpg

IMG_20231025_170606832.jpg

• Like 16

Couldn’t get out this week. Had to get everything accomplished at the office before we head to Illinois this afternoon for a week on a bow hunt. People will think i am crazy , but I would rather stay here and hunt my farm. We put a lot of work into it snd have a couple nice deer we want to see on the hoof, especially that big 6. This trip is my nephew’s dream hunt. He is a great young man and deserves this trip. Wish you all safe and good hunting. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GreenDrake said:

Couldn’t get out this week. Had to get everything accomplished at the office before we head to Illinois this afternoon for a week on a bow hunt. People will think i am crazy , but I would rather stay here and hunt my farm. We put a lot of work into it snd have a couple nice deer we want to see on the hoof, especially that big 6. This trip is my nephew’s dream hunt. He is a great young man and deserves this trip. Wish you all safe and good hunting. 

Have a good time with your nephew. They deer will be here waiting for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

As mowin said, the deer will be here waiting when you return. Best of luck to you and your nephew out in Illinois!! 

• Like 1

I got up this morning got dressed, grabbed my bow, got the wheeler out, and went back in the house. lol

It was going to be beautiful out, but I really did not want to risk shooting a deer with the temps going as high as 70 degrees.  I did eventually go out and do a little scouting and located a spot with three fresh scrapes and two good sized trees all rubbed up in the apple trees. I had a ladder stand up about 60 or 70 yards away, so I pulled it down and relocated it in a great spot overlooking the scrapes and rubs. I'll save that spot for crossbow or shotgun, but also put one of my cheap trail cams there to see if I can get a peek at who is ripping the spot up.

I'll hit my pine tree stand in the morning if it's cool enough, otherwise I'll wait until next weekend to get back on stand. 

• Like 1