Received some bad news today

Zem18

So my Dad told me yesterday, not today, at breakfast, that last year was his last year of hunting. He is 76 now and had a heart attack about 3 years ago. His eyes are getting worse, and now his kidneys are weakening. He sleeps like 3 hours a night and gets up to go about 4 times a night. Since the heart attack, he is on blood thinner medication, so the cold really gets to him now. He laughs and says, "it's hell getting old" but the decision hurts him for sure. I'm sad about it and jokingly said to him, "hmmm I could hunt with a new to me rifle this year" and he said, NO it's not yours YET. I know he would love to be out there with us at camp but like he said, it will be too much for him.

I will try to see if maybe he will go out close to home. I have a few spots that he might be able to get to easily and we can leave if he gets cold. Hopefully he will want to go. If not, I guess my teacher is retired. Going to miss him at camp and like he said, " who's money you guys going to steal playing poker"

My dad stopped hunting 4 years ago do to health issues.  He still comes up to the house but he stays inside anxiously waiting for one of us to come down the hill with a deer in tow.  I miss meeting up with him in the woods or going to him to drag his deer out but I'm very fortunate to still have him around. 

Why don't you bring your dad up to the camp anyway?  I'm sure you'll both appreciate it!!

Zem, your story reminds me of the Monday openers, hanging out with my pop, my uncles, cousins and friends the entire weekend, playing cards, joking around, smoking cigars, and looking so forward to Monday morning.

People often ask me, why I love to hunt so much....I tell them, its hard to explain. Its the same reason I still make sure to always have sicilian olives, soppressata, fontinella cheese and crusty bread for lunch on opening day....Its tradition, and reminds me of my ancestors....very important today in this fast, immediate world we live in now...

I appreciate your story, and will pray you and your dad can get out again. Good luck and be safe.

• Like 3

I know how you feel , my dad is 82 and  was diagnosed with inoperable stomach and colon cancer , he  said he won't be able to hunt this year. He was looking forward to hunting until he had a mild stroke that left him weak and numb in his right arm and leg, he can barely get around with a walker. He lives his hunting now through my daily updates  and what I'm seeing and hearing .I desperately need to get a decent buck soon ,so he can live this season through me.  Love you dad........................................................

• Like 2

Thus hits home for me also as my dad only 48 is a kidney transplant patient of 25 years now and is having complications he's had multiple blood transfusions and liver failure because of his blood. He's been in and outta hospital sence April and isn't looking good to be able to hunt much if at all this year....it's a day by day situation with him dome days feels pretty good others can't walk talk sleep or eat it sucks royally....this will be first time in 16 years of me big game hunting he may not go with me and his brother. I hope I'm wrong but hopefully the drs figure this out so we can have many more togrther. My dad taught me everything I know and will be a sad opening day if he's not sitting next to a tree sleeping....praying for all here

Thanks for sharing your stories too guys. I did ask my Dad to just come down to camp but he said he would be bored. And the third party in all of this should be mentioned as well, Mom. Her health isn't great either and she hates to be alone for 2 nights when Dad would come down with us. He will still be the first guy I call whether I was successful or not and I can share my hunts with him, just over the phone now.

Brings back a lot of fond and sad memories. My dad has been gone for years, but I still miss the time in the woods we had for close to thirty years. He had cancer for the last 10 years of his life. It was slowed considerably by chemo, allowing him to hunt right up to his last year.

He was stubborn and there was no telling him he might not be able to deer hunt. The last couple seasons, he could not handle the cold very well. I would tell him to call me on the radio when he was getting chilled, but he would never call until I had to almost carry him out of the woods. The next day, we would do it all over. Sounds like a pain in the ass, but I wouldn't have traded it for the world.

• Like 2

All prior posters.......wishing better health for all of your dad's, and Zemmer's mom too

Mine will still be out with me THANK GOD !!!!, although he just turned 80 he's still in great shape, but has slowed down a bit. I realize how important our Dad's are to each and every one of us and I will not take for granted that I get to share some time in the woods with him. Good luck to everyone and keep making those memories and carry on your traditions

• Like 2

Zen my thoughts are with ya!

My dad now 77 has slowed down a lot he will get out with us for a half day. He shows up after light, too hard for him in the dark and he gets cold which is new to him these last years due to cancer treatments and blood thinners. I remember when I was young he never even wore gloves and I was freezing! I been trying to get him one last deer for a couple years now. Maybe this year. I got a brush blind a short walk from the back yard he likes on sunny days! He don't hunt in no shit weather no more! And calls us a bunch of idiots for getting up to be in stand a hour before light and all the scent shield and stuff....

My son is 12 I hope he is around to see him get his first.

• Like 1

Hearing this is going to make me cherish the hunts I share with my dad even more. 

My dad surprised me in the woods on Monday! He called me as I was heading into the woods. Whoever calls during my walk in usually get short, one word answers (sometimes misconstrued as an attitude). When he said he was "here" and walking in through the back field, I got so happy! Just knowing my dad was around made me feel really good. For gods-sake the man still comes to watch me play baseball at the wee hours - and I'm a grown man! I guess no matter how old you get you will always be his boy and he will always be your pop!

All of you that have had the luxury of hunting with your fathers into there 70's and 80's feel blessed for what time you've had.. I lost my Dad at 59 years old... I have missed out on a lot of father-son hunting over the years that I truly miss... just be thankful that you have had all those extra years that many don't get.

• Like 1

He thinks quitting cold turkey is the way to go so no body suit or blind with heater. I too remember I would be numb and he would have his coat unzipped and no gloves. He used to use those metal handwarmers in the Red felt bag that took lighter fluid. Loved that smell when he started them. Get them close to the skin though and it was painful.

Edited by Zemmer18

it is hard to say I no longer can hunt. This was my year at 73. I have COPD and just can not for the life of me handle when it hits. I also have a bad right leg that is a issue with walking in the dark and falling. SO this year I just keep looking out the back window  and looking for deer on the side hill, yesterday I had 3 doe at 20 yards from the house feeding at 3:45 pm and just at dark a 4 point buck walked down to my pond to have a drink. I lost my hunting buddy to cancer about 8 years ago, so I guess if he was still around I sure would try to be out there. I would suggest to all the older Dad's if your son has a camp, I sure still would be there to do the cooking etc, and to see the guys coming in with there stories of the hunt that day. I miss that more than the amount of bucks over the years that I have had the luck or skill to take. God bless you all and hope all has a safe and great hunting season.

I am lucky that during the warm weather I can shoot my bow daily and make a lot of the 3D shoots. Plus it the summer there is always fishing.

• Like 1

Zemmer,

Do what you can to get him out when feasible. Pick those days that are relatively warm and go for it! The last few years with Gus where hard but we got him out there. My Brother in law (for the last two) would pull the Gator right into a natural blind so he didn't even have to get off. Enjoy the time with him….

FL

Zemmer18, on 11 Nov 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:Zemmer18, on 11 Nov 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

He will still be the first guy I call whether I was successful or not and I can share my hunts with him, just over the phone now.

Be thankful you can still pick up the phone and call your Dad to share hunts with. Some of us aren't as fortunate... My Dad was my one and only hunting partner for 40 years. Massive heart attack... Poof...Gone. Hunting season is always bittersweet. Thank God the following year my kids were old enough to tag along with me to keep me going.

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 2

My dad is wore out he cant climb tree stands anymore and doesn't like being out in the cold.  A couple years ago I built a insulated hunting tower that we have a small propane heater in and run comfortable computer chairs, with stairs instead of a ladder.  He enjoys going out and hunting in it never gets cold anymore its very comfortable and if he falls asleep its no big deal because he does not have to worry about falling out.  It may be an option if you have property that you can build one on.  Just a thought may get you a few more years of hunting with your father!!

Every day hunting with my 80 year old Dad is a gift. His hands are bad and he can't field dress a deer but his eyes are good and boy can he still shoot.

Sorry to those of you who don't have your old man hunting with you any more. We have 3 generations afield right now. I don't know how much longer that will last.

Every day hunting with my 80 year old Dad is a gift. His hands are bad and he can't field dress a deer but his eyes are good and boy can he still shoot.

Sorry to those of you who don't have your old man hunting with you any more. We have 3 generations afield right now. I don't know how much longer that will last.

And that IS what it is all about IMO.

My father is going through his second bout of cancer in a year. It is spreading and he is on a second, heavier round of Chemo right now. Fingers crossed and cherishing the time.

I'll bet your dad has thought long and hard about it and come up with a solution that in his mind works best for everyone cuz that's what dad's do. Reading these posts sure makes me appreciate the time spent with my dad especially when my son is there too. My dad is going to miss his first opening day since i can remember and we will miss him and look forward to the day when he will be hunting with us in a couple weeks. Enjoy these special times with friends and family as life is all too short.

I truly hope you can get him out there a day or two this season. I hope for a warm day or two for you both.  Be blessed and remember all the times in the woods you've shared . I'm fortunate to still have my mom(88) and dad (90) still around. Complete wits about them, dad still drives (and well) , enters their garden in the garden walk every year. Last week he had a 6 day stint in the hospital with excrutiating pain and a shoulder infection. He really enjoyed talking about grouse/woodcock hunting with my older brothers many years ago. My brothers(2) and sisters (2) are all old enough to be my parents. Guess I was an oopsy. Siblings all moved out before I was even born. I never got to hunt with dad or brothers back in the day. Lying in the hospital bed he talked for hours about how he and one brother would send the other brother down the middle walking down hill. By the time they got down to the bottom brother would have shot half a box of shells with nothing to show. I truly wished I got to share some hunting with my dad but never did. I've learned everything I know by experiencing it on my own. Wish he was my mentor and that's how I would have learned. He's doing well now but the thought of losing him just sucks. Be thankful your dad is still around and you can share your time in the woods via chatting. That's what I have to do.