Would You Support a Blaze Orange Compromise?

wildcat junkie

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2014/07/video-new-study-sheds-light-what-deer-see

Deer do not see color like a human. The big thing is UV. Spray UV killer can cure that. Blue and white are a big no no. Not orange.

I don't see a big deal with the orange. If it's mandatory, so be it. Would you stop hunting if you have to wear an orange vest? I wont.

CULVER -In NZ it would make a minimal difference because we don't have dmp's now and I would love to see late muzzleloader season done away with anyways.

There are areas in the NZ with doe permits. Also they probably expect the antlerless take for the ML season. I usually fill my antlerless only up there in early ML. We usually take 4-6 does off the property we hunt.

Why are some of you so against wearing orange. ...forget the accident rate. I'm talking purely hunting alone. Wht wouldn't you wear orange if it doesn't affect deer? Why would you not want to see and be seen from just about as far as possible? Why would you not want the Orange on in state land or even private? What if you fall and can't get to phone or anything the rescuers would be able to spot you a lot easier with a orange vest on?

I am not in any way saying I support the govt In making more laws for us we already have enough. But orange for half hour each way of sun I'd be interested in seeing as long as no loop holes and what not...straight orange for hour no strings....i consider orange to be like helmets and seat belts they may not always work but they definitely reduce the risk......

• Like 1

Why are some of you so against wearing orange. ...forget the accident rate. I'm talking purely hunting alone. Wht wouldn't you wear orange if it doesn't affect deer? Why would you not want to see and be seen from just about as far as possible? Why would you not want the Orange on in state land or even private? What if you fall and can't get to phone or anything the rescuers would be able to spot you a lot easier with a orange vest on?

I am not in any way saying I support the govt In making more laws for us we already have enough. But orange for half hour each way of sun I'd be interested in seeing as long as no loop holes and what not...straight orange for hour no strings....i consider orange to be like helmets and seat belts they may not always work but they definitely reduce the risk......

Because this would be a law and many do not have problems with a law untill it includes them. 

I never wear blaze orange during bow season. But I do wear a camo blaze orange hat and vest during firearms season. Simply for the fact that I would like someone with a high powered rifle in their hands to be able to see me better with it on. It just makes sense to be seen and be safe. I really hate having stupid laws shoved down our throats. But I don't see anything stupid about being seen better in the woods during firearms season by someone with a gun. If I am more visible, it does not matter who is holding the gun, friend, family member, other hunter or trespasser I want to be seen before they shoot in my direction. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

Yea I guess I never have a problem with it....i did notice up in the ADKs guys didn't have any on and we did and guess what pitch black walking in we sat 15 yards in front of some guy....we ruined his hunt bc I didn't know he was there....we would have moved away to allow him to hunt as I always do....when he stood up to leave around first light was the first I saw of him. It has nothing to do with killing deer they don't even notice it especially when the majority of us can shoot over a 100 easy with gun....it's about not letting someone else know your their......now someone made a good point a few pages back I don't remember who but they said you will get the trigger happy movement shooting guys shooting at you bc orange is easier to pick up....ok.....maybe but the point of the Orange is for them to see you long before you are near them....i have worn orange my whole life as had everyone I hunt with and I am a walker on state land I find the thickest gnarlyest spots I bc an and walk thru them and have never been shot at or toward....I've had some deer get shot within a few 100 of me but that's it....99.9999 percent of guys out there will question what the big orange thing walking is....and I only wear a vest that's it.....seems to me to be a easy choice to even reduce risk by a fraction I'll take it

Edit...

I don't wear in bow or turkey....squirrel with my 4 yr old we both do and I do durring gun season including ML season

Edited by stoneam2006
  • Like 1

I never wear blaze orange during bow season. But I do wear a camo blaze orange hat and vest during firearms season. Simply for the fact that I would like someone with a high powered rifle in their hands to be able to see me better with it on. It just makes sense to be seen and be safe. I really hate having stupid laws shoved down our throats. But I don't see anything stupid about being seen better in the woods during firearms season by someone with a gun. If I am more visible, it does not matter who is holding the gun, friend, family member, other hunter or trespasser I want to be seen before they shoot in my direction. Just my opinion.

Amen

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/pennsylvania_game_commission_f.html

Seems to be working there no increase HUMMMM

Changing the law will not change a thing no matter how much you guys want to point fingers !!!!

I'm not sure where you guys are hunting must be some private preserve far enough away from this forum and the sound that a gun shot may ring, but in the thirty years I have been hunting the shots on opening day in 7J start ringing out about a half hour before legal light..

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader

Well as I have said come to my area, where people have brains enough to know what they are shooting at. A group of 8 all hunt my property and more hunt adjacent properties.  I have yet to see orange.  No one has been shot or even shot at. I am so glad I do not have to wear orange to feel safe when I am hunting.  I have said and will say again, it is not my job to make you safer.  Identify your target, do not use your scope to do so and hunt during legal hours legally.  Seems pretty simple to me.  Every year this same bunch if topics come up over 1 or 2 incidents.  I mean the only one so far this year, a moron shot at a deer lying on a cart.  I guess deer lie down and move around in the woods. The first comment was who fault was it I wonder of the guy was wearing orange, as if it was his fault he got shot. Sad the way the mind set of "hunters" has been molded by the big companies who sell all the gimmicks   Deer need names and 160 inches on their heads to be shooters and you need every new toy that comes out to be successful. A lot of supposed hunters have made a ton of money selling all their products to make you a better hunter.

• Like 1

The idiots that I have seen on some very pressure state land that were hiding in the woods in full camo were not visible until I was practically on top of them, and they stepped out or waved their hand. That's not a big surprise because that is the purpose of camouflage. Now you can parrot back all the nifty sounding slogans that you want regarding "knowing what's behind or in front of any deer that you are shooting at", but if you have one of these morons somewhere in the background, I defy you to honestly say with a straight face that you know that that area is clear of hunters. That is absolute BS to put it bluntly. Unless you are hunting in gravel pit or a totally cleared out shooting range with an earthen backstop, you cannot guarantee that there is not some goof back in there dressed in camo. And yet I have actually seen these guys out there trying to prove that nobody is going to tell them how to dress when hunting.

• Like 2

Did a deer drive last weekend, I remember saying be careful when shooting and I wish the pushers had a bit more orange on. This had nothing to do about identifying my target (I do have a brain Bubba) it helps that person stand out. Actually I had a logging road that offered me a great 100 yard shot. For a split second I saw something then orange, it was one of the pushers. If he just had camo my mind would of processed that as an unknown. Hunters with minds do not shoot at unknowns but in this case the orange clearly identified the target as a hunter. 

The idiots that I have seen on some very pressure state land that were hiding in the woods in full camo were not visible until I was practically on top of them, and they stepped out or waved their hand. That's not a big surprise because that is the purpose of camouflage. Now you can parrot back all the nifty sounding slogans that you want regarding "knowing what's behind or in front of any deer that you are shooting at", but if you have one of these morons somewhere in the background, I defy you to honestly say with a straight face that you know that that area is clear of hunters. That is absolute BS to put it bluntly. Unless you are hunting in gravel pit or a totally cleared out shooting range with an earthen backstop, you cannot guarantee that there is not some goof back in there dressed in camo. And yet I have actually seen these guys out there trying to prove that nobody is going to tell them how to dress when hunting.

Doc, can't say it any better. FO saves lives...that's a FACT. I know I want to live to hunt another day...don't we all?????

freytown so you think the gun laws protect us then give them your guns ny has one of the safest hunting seasons in the country and its not from orange people are not deer so dont shoot them period

Increased safety in deer seasons in recent years has been attributed to a greater number of hunters hunting from elevated stands. This holds true in states that have & don't have blaze orange requirements.

• Like 1

One of the lease guys hunts with a partner...more than a few times I have climbed up into my stand and glanced over and down the the property line to see this guy standing in the thick briars with an orange vest on...when he see's me covered in orange...he will stand a bit then call his body...it is such a routine!...next thing I know I see movement 100-200 feet behind him and the buddy that was waiting on the property line with him is trotting up the hill through the lease...dressed COMPLETELY head to toe in a camo ghille suit.....Yep I want it mandatory... it would only take one time for me not to realize I didn't know he had snuck over to either push deer or retreive one with out permission...see a deer on my land and possible kill someone in a miss or even pass through...

• Like 1

One of the lease guys hunts with a partner...more than a few times I have climbed up into my stand and glanced over and down the the property line to see this guy standing in the thick briars with an orange vest on...when he see's me covered in orange...he will stand a bit then call his body...it is such a routine!...next thing I know I see movement 100-200 feet behind him and the buddy that was waiting on the property line with him is trotting up the hill through the lease...dressed COMPLETELY head to toe in a camo ghille suit.....Yep I want it mandatory... it would only take one time for me not to realize I didn't know he had snuck over to either push deer or retreive one with out permission...see a deer on my land and possible kill someone in a miss or even pass through...

I would think anyone that owns their own property would support a law. There is a list of positives and no negatives yet some fight it?

• Like 1

In the thick woods maybe, with iron sights yes. With good optics there is still plenty of light on all but the worst conditions.

In open hardwoods of fields there is ample light.

Simple solution, if there isn't enough light to positively identfy the target & see your sights, don't shoot.

it's silly to establish an arbitrary sunup or sundown limit when under all but the worst conditions there is ample light.

I don't think there is enough light to be shooting during that time, especially on dreary days.

I always wear some blaze orange during the gun season.

In the thick woods maybe, with iron sights yes. With good optics there is still plenty of light on all but the worst conditions.

In open hardwoods of fields there is ample light.

Simple solution, if there isn't enough light to positively identfy the target & see your sights, don't shoot.

To me, it's silly to establish an arbitrary sunup or sundown limit when under all but the worst conditions there is ample light.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Another thing. How many of you can honestly say that if you were watching a trophy buck waiting for him to take one more step or change angle as the exact time of sunset lapsed, you woiuld take a shot 5  or even 10 minutes later when the opportunity presented itself? Would you reaaly pass even though there was plenty of light?

As far as I can see, the restrictions on some of the best times to kill a mature buck are far more restrictive than requiring somone to wear an orang hat.

I find it extremely interesting that there is not a single response to the question above.

What that seems to indicate is that most would take the shot after sundown  & probably don't unload their rifles & stop hunting the moment that sundown occurs. On the other end, how many wait until official sunrise to load their weapon?

The same scenerio would apply if one saw a trophy buck sneaking by 15 muniute before official sunrise. How many would watch it dsappear W/O shooting if there was ample light?

So, I can see some (ill conceived) logic to the resistance to wearing blaze orange in a trade off for the extra hour at the best times. Why give in to mandatory blaze orange if you are stretching the hours anyway right?

We are probably never going to see the change to legalizing what many are doing anyway because most politicains would be wringing the hands over the ill perceived increase in fatalities. If we throw them a bone by accepting mandatory reasonable blaze orange, they would be far more likely to make the change.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Why would the time have any bearing on when a weapon is loaded or unloaded?

An unloaded weapon shows you are not hunting, a loaded one leaves you open to suspicion.

Get caught "in the field" with a loaded weapon before sunrise or after sunset by a DEC officer & you will find out that in the eyes of the law, you are "hunting".

I think the same applies to a nocked arrow.

Edited by wildcat junkie