Powder vs pellets

dirt_a_KISS

i just cant see carying and measuring powder commpaired to dropping in a couple of pellets so i will use pellets untill the make something better

I could reload real black powder with a patched RB & prime a flintlock in about 20 seconds. I could get off 2 aimed shots at a 50yd pie plate sized target in a minute with some time to spare & hit it every time. They "made something better" as far as getting reloaded quickly over 100 years ago.

I used a 120gr charge thrower on a flask, the patched/greased RBs in a wood loading block tied to my short starter & my priming horn around my neck. It takes a few seconds longer to use a round leather/brass capper to load a cap gun.

I used to shoot 100rds at skeet including the doubles every Sunday with a percussion dbl bbl 12 ga ML. I would get filthy & in the Southern Indiana August heat & humidity, the sweat would mix with the sulfer & salt peter residue on my forehead & sting my eyes. The fulminate particles from the cap exploding on the left nipple would embed into my left forarm until I learned to wear a sock on that arm. It was heavenly. I enjoyed the hell out of it & had to take a shower when i got home..

• Like 2

I shoot loose powder, only way to find the sweet spot your gun shoots the best. With pellets your restricted to either 50 , 100, or 150 grains.  Loose powder you have more flexibility with your powder amount and can pull the most accuracy out of your rifle

Some guys trade off the ease of loading pellets and sacrifice some accuracy for it.  Loose powder you can get the most accuracy from your rifle but you trade off a little bit of the ease of loading,  Not much difference using a speed loader and pre measuring your loose powder, but after the shot and when the adrenalin is flowing I've spilt powder all over the place pouring speed loaders down the barrel (shaking hands, LOL)

This . Reminds me about the time when I missed or thought I missed a nice buck . In my excitement, I missed the barrel with 1/2 my powder charge. Thankfully I didnt need it. Because that happened to be all I had with me that day.. lol  I stick with the pellets, Even my shaky hands can get them down the barrel when I'm excited..

Hodgdons data list 2 50gr pellets and a 245 barnes tmz at 1785fps and the same bullet with 100gr. loose triple seven at 1851. The only benefit to pellets are load ability. Ill stick with the loose my knight loves it and never had a problem loading loose.

This . Reminds me about the time when I missed or thought I missed a nice buck . In my excitement, I missed the barrel with 1/2 my powder charge. Thankfully I didnt need it. Because that happened to be all I had with me that day.. lol  I stick with the pellets, Even my shaky hands can get them down the barrel when I'm excited..

i dropped a pellet out of the stand last weekend. I agree pellets are easier but anything can happen.

Same thing happened to my buddy a while back. He hit a buck and did a fast, nervous reload with loose powder. The deer ran out in front of me and piled up. A second shot wasn't needed. On our way out we passed the spot where my friend reloaded and it looked like most of his powder was spilled all over the snow. He even had powder all over the front of his wool coat.  We still bust his chops over it LOL!!

I have always wondered why they can't produce a pellet with a coating that is waterproof yet burns , to keep moisture out of the pellet ?????

How about just putting them in a brass case and press the projectile on top.

Could even put the primer in the base of the case.

• Like 3