An Opportunity for an Adventure

Pygmy

I got an email yesterday from a friend in Alaska..

He retired from his job working for the State of Alaska in 2012.

He has since bought a 38 foot commercial fishing vessel and worked last year fishing for salmon, and did very well.. He had worked for years as a commercial fisherman before he took the job with the state, so he has a lot of experience commercial fishing for various species.

He invited me to come up to Alaska this summer and fish with him ( for wages) for 2 or 3 weeks, speed trolling for king and coho salmon.

Sounds like a wonderful adventure, but I'm not sure my 65 year old body will be up to the task.... My buddy is a couple of years older than me, but he is a weathered Alaska born Irish-American, tough as a pine knot and accostomed to the physical labor required to run a fishing boat..

Something to think about..If I decide to go I may have to start working out with Growie at the gym..

• Like 6

He has since bought a 38 foot commercial fishing vessel and worked last year fishing for salmon, and did very well.. He had worked for years as a commercial fisherman before he took the job with the state, so he has a lot of experience commercial fishing for various species.

He invited me to come up to Alaska this summer and fish with him ( for wages) for 2 or 3 weeks, speed trolling for king and coho salmon.

Sounds like a wonderful adventure, but I'm not sure my 65 year old body will be up to the task.... My buddy is a couple of years older than me, but he is a weathered Alaska born Irish-American, tough as a pine knot and accostomed to the physical labor required to run a fishing boat..

Something to think about..If I decide to go I may have to start working out with Growie at the gym..

Pygmy  I'm regulated to the porch I suggest you do the same. Or maybe just sit in the captains chair. ;)  Go and enjoy the good times. How many do we have left??? :dontknow:

• Like 1

Sounds awesome. If I wasn't spending a ton of vacation days on my bachelor party, wedding, and honeymoon, I woulda came with you!!

Can this guy get his guides license so I can hunt grizzly and Dall at a reasonable price with him? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Dammit !!!   Better to burn out than rust I say !!!

Go ! I would love to go.  Tried to talk the wife into it the last few years & no dice.  I didn't go on elk hunts 30 yrs. ago & regret it to this day.  I watch " Whalers Cove , fishing paradise"  (one of the outdoor channels) & would love it!  I just saw a guy (on the show) that grew up fishing on the east end of lake Ontario who is now a guide for Whalers Cove fishing charters. Very cool imo.   You should go.

I want to thank all of my friends here for your encouragement.

I am a definite maybe at this point.. Need to get more info.

The Mermaid is being supportive, ( bless her heart)...Or maybe she just wants to get rid of me...hehehehe..

I'd have to get checked out by my sawbones to make sure that there are no health issues that would make this a bad idea..

I have been checking out commercial salmon trolling on youtube..Looks like a hoot...Like running a gigantic Seth Green Rig...

Tell ya what, Biz....We'll SWAP...

You go to Alaska for me, and I'll fill in for YOU at the bachelor party and honeymoon...

I'll SKIP the wedding though...Already had one of those....

I think you could hurt yourself way worse at a bachelor party than on a fishing trip... and a honeymoon???... you definitely might sprain something there... just sayin' :drinks:

• Like 3

Like the old saying goes, you only get to go around once! As long as ole sawbones gives you the thumbs up, ya gotta go! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity! Not to mention the posts and pictures that we all would be anxiously awaiting!