Cold Feet

I never have a problem with getting cold- except for my toes.  I have good boots and wear good socks.  But, when the temperatures are in the teens and twenties, after a few hours in a treestand, my toes get cold.  I was thinking about getting a pair of pac boots for next season.  But, the reviews that I'm reading often say that even these type of boots lack enough insulation in the toes.  Now, I'm thinking I might just get another pair of good boots, but in a size and a half bigger to allow me to wear an extra layer of the best socks I can find.  Anyone have similar issue and experience?

My toes get very cold, once that happens its hard to stay out long. I use toasties (hand warmers) I have socks that have pockets on top for them.  This past year i had the rechargeable foot warmer from thermacell. They work fine, you don't feel the heat but your toes don't get cold

I found that by going with a bigger boot, one pair of sock liners and one pair of carhartt arctic wool socks, I was much warmer than when I tried to layer two or three pair of heavy socks in a tighter boot.  The layers of air really helped.  I never had cold feet this year and, as a side benefit, the boots were more comfortable.

I am diabetic and suffer from cold fingers and toes when temps get below freezing. So I buy my hunting boots size 13 (I wear size 11and a half) use two pair of a good quality marino wool socks. I use the toastie toes brand of stick on warmers on the bottom of my toes over the socks. Then use 2000 gr. thinsalate and gortex rocky boots. Unless it's below -0 this set up will be good for me up to about four hours or so just sitting or all day if I'm moving around a bit.

I have hunted in single digit temps. for hours on end in a tree with no cold feet issues. What has worked for me are 2000 gram thinsulate rubber boots (cabelas brand), the secret is to first put on a thin dress sock and over that the best kept secret is to use socks made from alpaca fur. I have a local alpaca breeder i get these socks from, im sure you can find them online but they are not cheap, couple years ago think i paid $22 a pair (well worth the money) and they work unbelievably well with the combination i noted above. You also need to ensure that you have enough room in the boot where you can move your toes periodically. Drives me nuts in the past where i had boots with no wiggle room..lol..so thats my secret to staying on stand longer then most hunters.

My toes get very cold, once that happens its hard to stay out long. I use toasties (hand warmers) I have socks that have pockets on top for them.  This past year i had the rechargeable foot warmer from thermacell. They work fine, you don't feel the heat but your toes don't get cold

If you go to www.goodmorningamerica.com today only they are $65!!  They are more then likely a limited quantity but you can give it a shot.  They normally sell for $130.

i have good mucks and some serious pack boots. the packs help a lot but it's hard to move and i dont like climbing in them. I usually buy a box of toe warmers that do great. At the end of the day you're not circulating so it doesn't matter the amount of insulation you have. It's a cheap and easy solution.

I've toyed with the thermal battery warmers but couldn't justify the price. I have some oldschool heated socks that really dont work too well.

I have hunted in single digit temps. for hours on end in a tree with no cold feet issues. What has worked for me are 2000 gram thinsulate rubber boots (cabelas brand), the secret is to first put on a thin dress sock and over that the best kept secret is to use socks made from alpaca fur. I have a local alpaca breeder i get these socks from, im sure you can find them online but they are not cheap, couple years ago think i paid $22 a pair (well worth the money) and they work unbelievably well with the combination i noted above. You also need to ensure that you have enough room in the boot where you can move your toes periodically. Drives me nuts in the past where i had boots with no wiggle room..lol..so thats my secret to staying on stand longer then most hunters.

Alpaca Socks are the way to go!  I bought 2 pr. for my wife this past X-mas & she loves them(she always has cold feet).  Guys that I worked out side with for 40 yrs swore by them.  I Always wore the marino socks without a problem. I am going to buy myself some Alpaca's for next yr. along with some gloves if I can find them. They are not cheap but they work!

I do toe exercises as I start to chill down.  Just draw your toes up and down, bringing them in also.  If I'm only going to sit for a couple hours and it isn't to cold I'll just do the exercises as they start to get cold.  I'll count to 50-75 every 15 minutes or so and it helps a ton.

If your boots don't have the room for this you are SOL...............................

I should use the chemical warmers more than I do I guess, but it seems like a waste for only a couple hours in the tree sometimes.  Also, my right foot/big toe has issues too; osteoarthritis and a couple floating bone spurs.  That makes doing the toe crunches difficult and walking with the chemical warmers in place painful at best.

Under such difficult conditions I do my best to muddle through..................... :)

Alpaca Socks are the way to go!  I bought 2 pr. for my wife this past X-mas & she loves them(she always has cold feet).  Guys that I worked out side with for 40 yrs swore by them.  I Always wore the marino socks without a problem. I am going to buy myself some Alpaca's for next yr. along with some gloves if I can find them. They are not cheap but they work!

I agree, the alpaca socks are the best kept secret out there..lol..i might have to stop by that alpaca farm to see about the gloves, the owner has hats, scarfs etc..im sure she has alpaca gloves.

When you get a good pair of boots, let me know. I've been through most of the brands. Works boots I'm talking, not play toy ones.  Finally got a pair of Mucks at L.L. Bean. Not that they last, but they warranty them.

I got a pair of Sportsman's Guide Gear  2400 gm. thinsulate  rubber boots this past season & they actually seemed to work. I sat for hours on some really cold days & my feet never got cold.  The other thing is they warranty them for ever as long as you have the original receipt they will replace them & upgrade them .  My buddy has sent back a pair for cracked rubber & they sent a new pair no questions asked.

I use the chemical toe warmers and as others have said buy boots that are not tight with a wicking sock and one good heavy sock. But after 3 hours on stand my feet still get cold when its 20-25 or lower out.

My old boots busted out so I am in the market as well. I do not want huge boots.

You want a real challenge try finding something made in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think having boots too tight has always been my problem. Feet get cold even with 2-3 pairs of socks on. Always wanted to try those heated insoles for boots.....just never could get myself to spend that much on them (mainly afraid that they would break shortly after purchase).

I think having boots too tight has always been my problem. Feet get cold even with 2-3 pairs of socks on. Always wanted to try those heated insoles for boots.....just never could get myself to spend that much on them (mainly afraid that they would break shortly after purchase).

Thermocell seems to be a good company so if something goes wrong they will help you. That link that was posted has them for $65