Older Than Dirt Quiz

Doc

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember , NOT the ones you were told about!

Ratings at the bottom .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

1. Candy cigarettes

2. Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes

3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles

4. Party lines on the telephones

5. Newsreels before the movie

6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (There were only 3 channels ... if you had a TV

7. Pea-shooters

8. Howdy Doody

9. 45 RPM records

10. 78 rpm records

11. Hi-fi records  33 1/3 rpm

12. Metal ice trays with lever

13. Blue flashbulb

14. Studebakers

15. Wash tub wringers
---------------------------------------------------------------
If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age, &
If you remembered 11-16 = You're older than dirt !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this quiz made me think of all kinds of things that have gone by the wayside. Damn! things sure were primitive. Anybody else remember things that make you feel "Older than dirt"?

• Like 1

How about the one-room school house that I went to

Or a time before school buses

Or a time when corporal punishment in schools was not only allowed, but used

Or a time when I used to stare at any cars that went down our road because chances are it was a neighbor that I knew.

Or a time when I wore my hunting knife to school after running the trapline .... And nobody thought a thing about it.

Or the old three-hole outhouse. Not at camp but as part of the main residence. By the way....anyone know why there was more than one hole?

I don't consider myself old but yet for some reason i know of all those but yet i am still young enough not to see them used.

Like the milk being delivered, my family had the milk box on porch but i don't remember it being used. I don't think i watched Howdy Doody and i have never seen a 78 play.

Our telephone did not have numbers to dial.

You just picked up the reciever and the operator would say " Number Please".. Our number was 242-M1.. My "first love's" number was 416-J..

We were on a party line for years..Our ring was one long. The old biddies in the neighborhood spent lots of time listening in to thier neighbor's conversations.

• Like 1

I remember them all...

Our outhouse only had two holes...One bigger than the other. Perhaps it wasn't "state of the art"...

I assume that the purpose for three holes was so that the PILE didn't get too big under any given hole.

was the smaller hole cut into the side of the outhouse?

• Like 3

I'm at 8 which is odd because I don't think I'm that old.  I guess my parents kept a lot of old stuff around.  And that coffee shop with the juke box was more of a theme diner.  It's still around and still have the juke boxes.  Not sure if they actually work.

10, guess I am getting old ?

But to clarify, there are a few things that could have gone the other way:

• used my uncle's Kodak Brownie box camera when I first learn how to take photo's
  • had milk and eggs delivered to my house recently as 7 years ago from a local farm
  • listened to some of my dad's old records from the 50's & 60's which included a couple 78"s, like Davy Crockett
  • truck stop/Travel plaza in Carilse PA still had mini-juke boxes at their tables in the late 80's and saw some at a Johnny Rocket's diner recently
  • Still had that lovely TV test patterns in the early 90"s at my parents (no cable service by them, and only three local stations via antenna when satellite service is down)
  • My grandmother still had some ice trays with the metal lever release 20 years ago
  • been to a few flea markets and antique shops with the wash tub ringer for sale

Anybody drive a crank-start tractor?  There were two of them on the college research farm that I worked on for a summer job.  Used them to haul irrigation pipe and fertilize a small test plot in the 90's.  At least they had a push-button start so I didn't have to crank it.  One was a Super 8 and the other was a Farmall Cub.

Edited by Two Track

No but we had a lot of people in the neighborhood that still had the old model T's and some Model A's(?) in their barns...and yes a townie and there were still barns around...

Pygmy your bad...lol  By the way I must have felt pretty old for I hit 10 miles at the gym today...8 on the bike and 2 miles on TM, plus all weight machines and exercises...3 1/2 hrs, I refuse to feel old ;)

Make sure you wear a nice, tight, pink cashmere sweater, too..!!

Gotta show off those sweater puppets...<<grin>....

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I remember them all...

Our outhouse only had two holes...One bigger than the other. Perhaps it wasn't "state of the art"...

I assume that the purpose for three holes was so that the PILE didn't get too big under any given hole.

I think you're right. I don't recall that taking a dump was a group activity. My Grandpa used to use the outhouse even after we installed indoor plumbing. And I still remember the sear catalog out there with the pages torn out....lol.