The misses and hunting

Borngeechee

I know a lot of you guys are lucky to have a woman that let you hunt as you please but for those of us that have the opposite, how do you ease that drama? The misses thinks that a cpl days out equals a hunting season no matter how much I try to explain it to her. If I had it my way I'd be out until all my tags are filled or I zero out for the season.

Im pretty lucky I guess. I pretty much hunt as much as I want with out taking  too much grief from my wife. But after twenty years she still refers to me going "Hunting" with those annoying little air quotes. As if Im really going to some party or strip joint every time I head out. Sometimes I play it up just to get her going but I usually  just roll with it.

"I know a lot of you guys are lucky to have a woman that let you hunt"

Let me hunt?! I am LMAO over that thought. As once stated by the quite comical Jase Robertson "that's like LETTING me breath"

After 28 years with my bride, I can tell you one thing for certain - It is all about balance. I always take a few days here and there in the fall to make time to do things she enjoys and I pay close attention not forget about all of the family responsibilities just because it's hunting season. Remember Happy Wife means Happy Life.

The good news is that as you get older she will be HAPPY you are out of the house for a while!

• Like 3

Honestly my wife has never complained about me going hunting.  Since marriage and kids I have voluntarily cut back on the amount of time I spend hunting.  I don't hunt a fraction of what I used to and I am fine with it.  That is the proper and responsible thing to do in my opinion.  Life is not all about hunting and family should come first.

• Like 1

"Not really. Talked about it a lot but did more target shooting than anything."

You have a problem then.  If hunting was a big part of your life prior to meeting her, she married you for what you were and that was part of it.

Everything afterwards is all part of the negotiable compromises that wives seem to believe go along with a life sentence....err, partnership.

For some reason, some married men are not allowed to change, or grow, or take up new interests, without approval.  If your wife also adheres to that rule by not changing, or growing without discussing it with you, you are in a tough spot.

Perhaps the best thing to do is tell her how much you would like to be able to hunt and ask her what she would need in return to agree to it.  That's the compromise she's looking for.

If she says she's not agreeing to any real increase in the amount of time you can go, you are in trouble.

I was a big time hunter before I met my ex.  But that's the position I found myself in 24 years ago.  I've been single again ever since.

Edited by Mr VJP

The best husband wife relationship I have seen is a friend's father, he goes hunting (out to camp) Oct 1 and returns end of season in dec. He goes home on Thursdays to do his laundry, though him and his wife take everyday she let's him go as long as she can go on her shopping trip with her friends for a week to some mall somewhere (every year it changes) almost makes me jelous of his relationship. Work for them for almost 50 years now

• Like 3

"Not really. Talked about it a lot but did more target shooting than anything."

You have a problem then. If hunting was a big part of your life prior to meeting her, she married you for what you were and that was part of it.

Everything afterwards is all part of the negotiable compromises that wives seem to believe go along with a life sentence....err, partnership.

For some reason, some married men are not allowed to change, or grow, or take up new interests, without approval. If your wife also adheres to that rule by not changing, or growing without discussing it with you, you are in a tough spot.

Perhaps the best thing to do is tell her how much you would like to be able to hunt and ask her what she would need in return to agree to it. That's the compromise she's looking for.

If she says she's not agreeing to any real increase in the amount of time you can go, you are in trouble.

That's the position I found myself in 24 years ago. I've been single again ever since.

She's starting to get that it takes more than a few days because her coworkers husband travels all over the place to hunt so she knows. I think the problem is that she's pretty much a straight up city girl. Hell she's barely used to guns but being that they were here before we met she has to ride with it. I do know that if she doesn't wanna bend, I'll have a bunch of nights in the couch lol. I def don't see myself hunting less, it's only gonna increase. I already told her I have a few days planned already upstate for deer and def gonna try a NJ black bear hunt.

Hhhhmmmm...deer & turkey hunting are only a problem in our home when I want to head to camp...He gives me a hard time about it...but we compromise by my getting my Irish up then leaving for just a day or two...Mr.B is more than welcome to stay at camp as long as he wants...that's a vacation for me..no cooking!!

Its all balance. My wife doesn't have a problem with me hunting. She is only concern about my reckless head first charge attitude. When I'm hunting she would use the time to do her own girl stuff, hang out with her friends, etc. as long as I spend enough together time she is okay.

Having kids changed that. I use to some times hunt all weekend. Now, when I get back home, my wife looks like she just went 3 rounds with Mike Tyson. So the compromise is I only hunt one day out of the weekend and then it'll be my turn against Mike Tyson while she relaxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

Hunting trip is my biggest problem. Both my wife and I love to travel. It's hard for me to justify dropping vacation money and her not be involved. "Italy is a little too expensive for us. Maybe next year. Oh, by the way, I'm spending a few grand on a moose hunt" simple won't fly with my wife. As of now, we're planning a Central Europe trip and she's demanding business class!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being in the woods and hunting is what I've done since I was knee high to a grasshopper! During our courtship period,she learned that hunting,fishing and spending time in the woods,is part of who I am. Take it or leave it. After marriage and kids, family obligations always came first. But she was then is now my biggest supporter. Most of my hunting tools I have,from camo to bows and guns,she has given to me as gifts over the years. As I could never spend the money on myself. We are polar opposites,she was a city girl,but we have always let each other be who we are and grow with each other. I hunt more now than ever and we are still going strong after 30 plus years. I would never have been as successful,in hunting or any other aspect of my life without her support. She is without a doubt,my best friend.

• Like 1

In the beginning of. Oct. Mine says " see you around Christmas".

Did I marry her because she lets me hunt? No but knowing I could do as I please was a big part of it . We could not go on a honeymoon after our marriage because I used up, my vacation time canoeing in the Yukon couple months the prior .

I recently bought a Rolex , she was mildly pissed for half a day.

Hey when you'er the trophy husband you get some perks !

other than guys with young children, why do you think your spouse gets pissed when you go hunting? if it's a "just because" issue I would have a big problem with it.....my wife spends half the summer at the beach and goes to Broadway shows and concerts throughout the year, things I have zero interest in, but have no problem with her doing them, and I get the same time for hunting with no issue.

Edited by jjb4900

Mine is a killer, she hunts as much as possible. We're always out hunting something, from deer to frogs. She's also great at butchering, & does all the taxidermy. I've never had to ask to hunt or fish & I don't think I ever will. I wouldn't trade her for ANYTHING.

Edited by Skillet

I would advise those that aren't yet married to get their kicks with the more exotic out of state hunts BEFORE they get married, because it may not be easy to pull off once you tie the knot and have kids.  That's what I did, and am happy that I did.  It wouldn't be easy or responsible to do now, nor do I even have the desire anymore.

Most women who have never hunted or come from a family with hunters will never understand it all.  I don't think any guy should even try to kill themselves trying to get their points across.  If a wife truly loves you and what you are she should be able to compromise and accept it.  On the other hand a guy shouldn't think that he can just get up and go hunting whenever he pleases.  Hunting is not done downstairs in the garage like fixing a car or doing woodwork, or being at your friends house for a few hours watching a football game.  For most people hunting requires a good bit of travel and numerous days being completely away from home.  A wife should be able to accept a few weekends of this, but the guys who want to be away every weekend from Oct 1 to the end of muzzleloading season will come to a rude awakening sooner or later.  Yeah, there may be a few wives out there willing to accept something like this, but I really don't think there are too many.  Most especially if the couple still has young kids.  To be honest why should they accept being left alone every weekend for 2 1/2 months?  Would we like it if they did that to us??  To these guys I would suggest to tread lightly.

In the beginning of. Oct. Mine says " see you around Christmas".

Did I marry her because she lets me hunt? No but knowing I could do as I please was a big part of it . We could not go on a honeymoon after our marriage because I used up, my vacation time canoeing in the Yukon couple months the prior .

I recently bought a Rolex , she was mildly pissed for half a day.

Hey when you'er the trophy husband you get some perks !

always wondered how you had the time to kill those nice bucks of yours.  now I know. lol

balance both.... make her understand it's something important to you but so is she.  if you hunt 4 days out of the season then go out on a date or stay in and cook her dinner 4 days.  that sort of thing.  also point out that one morning out for a couple hours isn't the same as a whole day.  that's like saying taking her to McDonalds is the same as a walk through the park and nice place with formal dining and melt in your mouth food.