Attitudes

I own two.  I have one we use to haul stands around plant food plots and haul out deer.  It stays in the shed until someone gets a deer during season.  The other one I use to plow at home and camp.  I guess I could get a shovel and do the snow removal, but I am just plain lazy.  Work smarter not harder.

• Like 1

I don't like them and don't think the word atv , quad , or 4 wheeler belongs in the same sentence as hunting...

Some people are not as physically able as others. We all grow old, I don't know what my profile says, but I will be 50. More athletic and fit then most in my thirties- but I already realized it was time to quit climbing trees to arrow a deer. In any sport you cant participate at the same level as you age or become sick or disabled. That doesn't mean you cant participate, it means not at the same level...  Hunting is no different. 

The DEC cant make up its mind if there are 500,000 or 750,000 hunters in the state, what if 500,000 of them buzzed around on quads? Even legally on private land, would you like that? 

As far as rural life, many people play with their chainsaws all summer, claiming they need all this heating wood. OK, maybe they do. 

However, upstate neighbors commonly "patrol" their property borders on quads and create trails. Sometimes coming close to their neighbors house. That is a bunch of bull. These types are more interested in trespassing themselves and/or being nosy than keeping a watchful eye on their assets. I am not talking about one isolated anecdotal experience, this is common upstate, in many sections, its part of the upstate culture. As is when people build homes they almost always put their driveway were it passes right by their neighbor's house and/or is partially on the other persons land... 

A lot of what I call "county highway rural" people don't own much land, maybe a long, narrow 5 or 10 acres with a neighbor or neighbors less than 500 feet on either side. Everybody is a deer hunter on their own little strip, food plot and all. This is also contributing to all the tree stand on the fence and/or recovering deer on private property discussion on this forum. Stands and atv trails and posted signs on the property lines it really is ludicrous. If these people want to run their quads, who cares, unless they regularly pass your house.

I also wonder how many of those machines are financed? Instead of shopping at the local gun shops, as in the past, people are making payments on their machines to banks from china and india? Everyone likes to talk economics, but nobody acknowledges this societal shift to borrowing for machines or autos from over seas lenders.  Hunters are not spending locally on sporting goods and neither is the public at large buying whatever- they are paying off their credit lines to india... Imagine if we start spending 200 dollars a month at the local gun shop, like back in the old days,  instead of making a machine payment to china? Does anyone seriously believe this is not a large part of the economic problem, as well as a factor in how hunting evolved into what it is today? 

Whatever, this topic is inherently an argument maker. 

I really don't care what people do on their own property.....they can race around and crash into trees and kill themselves and it doesn't bother me one bit, they can go out and buy toys they can't afford and that's even better. The problem is when they're used in places they don't belong.........idiots racing down the street every time there's 2 inches of snow on the streets and going onto public land and unposted private land and destroying the landscape, that's the problem.

Mike's comment makes me think of my neighbor who comes upstate to hunt and rides his ATV around his 80 acres constantly on opening weekend. I think riding the machine is more important than hunting.

When I go to the Dacks to hunt, it seems every truck with hunters going there and back has a quad in it. They seem to have become a necessary part of some hunter's image. There aren't many places within the blue line where you can ride. However, a couple of years ago I found a ATV trail of over a mile long cut into the Pigeon Lake Wilderness.

That said, I bought a UTV a couple of years back. It is more of a farm tool than hunting tool. However, the tipping point on the purchase was my octogenarian Dad's ability to get to his stand up the hill.

They can be a great tool but are often just toys.

LOL it has brought out some issues on a whole lot of things...Other than ATV's....I personally can proudly say..I haven't had a vehicle payment in 22yrs...we buy what we have money for...that's how we were taught..that's what we taught our children...We own all we have from house to tractors. Guess what?...when you teach the next generation what their great grand parents lived buy, life can be good....but instant satisfaction rules the world and owns many a soul...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 4

I've owned them all and used them all at some point to get into where I'm going.  state land I've never used any of them except a bicycle.  During deer season there's times where you should patrol your property a little if you've got enough.  we just drive them up onto the "hill" then walk a ways in.  parked along logging or access roads or even at times next to a box blind and the deer don't care.  we keep in mind where people are and try not to screw up their hunting and stay out of the woods with them during the season.  once season nears and rolls around it's common knowledge hunters are in the woods and not to drive through.  during the summer we allow local recreational riders passing through to access other trails.  every now and then someone abuses things but people they're with or we keep them in line.  for example if they drive through a field and not stay on the trails/roads or leave trash/cans when they stop for a break along the way.  most of the time it's the others that keep the few in line as they don't want their buddy screwing up access for everyone.  haven't seen it effect deer that much to matter like I said it's not during the season.  on of the neighbors doesn't like the fact we don't put up gates during the summer but they'd just be riding down the road right in front of their house anyway.  always where your freedom starts, someone elses ends.

I must be ignorant because I'm surprised to hear people borrow money for ATVs. Wow!

nice ATV is like $7k now.  KTM woods dirtbike new is the same.  snowmobiles are ridiculous, being closer to $10K or just under.  UTVs are start at $10K for the most part.  toys can be expensive these days.

• Like 1

I must be ignorant because I'm surprised to hear people borrow money for ATVs. Wow!

I'm ignorant too. Didn't know there were "sportsman" who actually wanted to limit property owners from driving on their own land and running chainsaws.

• Like 3

I really don't care what people do on their own property.....they can race around and crash into trees and kill themselves and it doesn't bother me one bit, they can go out and buy toys they can't afford and that's even better. The problem is when they're used in places they don't belong.........idiots racing down the street every time there's 2 inches of snow on the streets and going onto public land and unposted private land and destroying the landscape, that's the problem.

it's apparent you've had some bad experiences.

it's apparent you've had some bad experiences.

I just find it disgusting that people have no problem going onto land they shouldn't be on and using it as a race track, no doubt these are the same people that throw trash around wherever they go.......like I said people are free to do as they wish on their own land, but why be an inconsiderate slob when what you do effects other people's enjoyment of the outdoors?

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

Mike's comment makes me think of my neighbor who comes upstate to hunt and rides his ATV around his 80 acres constantly on opening weekend. I think riding the machine is more important than hunting.

When I go to the Dacks to hunt, it seems every truck with hunters going there and back has a quad in it. They seem to have become a necessary part of some hunter's image. There aren't many places within the blue line where you can ride. However, a couple of years ago I found a ATV trail of over a mile long cut into the Pigeon Lake Wilderness.

These two paragraphs mirror my views.  To me it seems like many enjoy the ATV riding way MORE than the hunting during deer season.  Why do they need to wait for hunting season to joy ride those things?  It doesn't make any sense.  They can ride them anytime of the year.

I can understand owning ATV's if you live upstate.  I can see how they can be useful for various chores, but to me it's a complete joke when I see people hauling them upstate from downstate for a quick weekend hunt.  Like they are absolutely necessary?  No way.  Most people don't hunt too far off into the woods, so to haul these things on two, three, four hour drives is downright ridiculous.  Lets not even get into storing them in your garage or backyard where they take up a good amount of space the rest of the year for only those 3 or 4 weekends they get used.  As someone else mentioned all these ATV's are, are expensive toys that people just have to have because they've been brainwashed into thinking that it's a must have item for hunting.   

It wouldn't surprise me in the least.  Plenty of people don't have a pot to pee in, yet they have to have the latest and greatest of any contraption that is in vogue.

I guess I don't get it. Can we agree on a couple things. Can't use them on State land---Illegal. Can't shoot from them= illegal ( unless you have a special permit for disability). With that said who am I or anyone else to tell a hunter what their experience should be, the amount of effort that should be put in or any other host of "if you don't do it like me you aren't doing it right" comments I see on here every year. Who gives a rats rear end as long as they are within the laws, I say get out there by any means you want, enjoy your time and good luck. Virgil hit in on the head, they are on private land everyone should mind their own damned business. (this was in general and not bashing your comment)

My point in no way reflects the topic, but is a general statement.

I have certainly been critical of some styles and methods. No arguing that. Hunting public land now has given me even more ammo to become frustrated with some hunting styles, and yes this does include me in my stand at dawn and watching and hearing a quad ride through. But I resign to the fact that I'm hunting public land and I get over it.

But the same number of posts about hunters bitching about other hunters are countered by those hunters whining that they're not seeing deer. It always amazes me to see the same guys who say "I'll hunt how I want" that might be the same guys who don't practice scent control, ride their quad into the woods or don't do any pre-season work be the same guys who bitch about not seeing deer or complain when someone gets on them for how they hunt.

In my opinion. The "Where are all the deer" posts are why some guys here give others a hard time.

I just find it disgusting that people have no problem going onto land they shouldn't be on and using it as a race track, no doubt these are the same people that throw trash around wherever they go.......like I said people are free to do as they wish on their own land, but why be an inconsiderate slob when what you do effects other people's enjoyment of the outdoors?

I agree that's wrong... a problem wearing the other shoe is some will do the right thing and ask for permission first to pass through in one spot, not racing and causing hell, and their treated like a**holes.  not saying that's the case with anyone's situation here.  I know for a fact though that when that happens word spreads and some bad apples will make it a point to tear through there.  just making sure some on here that feel very passionately against these things are aware and can learn from my personal experiences.

I'm against ATVs,nothing ruins a good line around a track like an ATV throwing all the top soil into the field and exposing all the field stones. O you meant for hunting, my personal opinion is I don't need one and I'm happy to be fortunate enough to be healthy to walk in and hopefully drag one out.

I will never understand taking a loan for a luxury item.

Other than a motorcycle  :D

my zeroturn mower i've been told is a luxury and me taking out a 4 year loan to pay for it is ridiculous.  when I explain it saves me 1.5 hours a week mowing, it's 0% interest, and reduces my stress making mowing more enjoyable I still get "well I would never spend that much on a lawnmower".  I just shake my head and say that's why I didn't ask them for the loan. lol  we all have our reasons and they sound pretty good to us.

...always wanted a bike too.  I got "not til you're 25 and out of this house" from my parents and now I've got a wife that thinks they're too dangerous.

I agree that's wrong... a problem wearing the other shoe is some will do the right thing and ask for permission first to pass through in one spot, not racing and causing hell, and their treated like a**holes.  not saying that's the case with anyone's situation here.  I know for a fact though that when that happens word spreads and some bad apples will make it a point to tear through there.  just making sure some on here that feel very passionately against these things are aware and can learn from my personal experiences.

the people who come off of their private land and drive onto State Land really baffle me, I'm sure these people would be plenty pissed if someone did the same to their property........it's just like anything else, I have nothing against the machine or any other object that is harmless until some idiot decides to use it to create problems.

I use one for hunting. It usually stays in the barn unless I use it to haul stands and equipment in or hopefully deer out. I think they are great but I hunt private land. I could certainly see hunters getting pissed at clowns rolling through on property they don't belong on. I was checking out one of my spots, a day or two before turkey opener, and saw were some rats came onto the posted property with 4 wheel drive trucks and just tore the hell out of spots. It happens once in a while in this one spot. 

Like anything else, a few thoughtless a$$ wipes have to ruin things 

I have one. Bought it used about 15yrs ago.92 Yamaha big bear.We have 140 acres that I cut fire wood, post, patrol,plant food plots,and hunt.This machine is worth a lot more than what I paid when comes to doing all those chores It saves me a ton of time and sweat.I wouldn't be without it.

The peace and quiet in the woods has always been one of the things that I treasured about hunting. But today, just sit in an average NYS hunting parcel, and see how often you can hear nothing but the wind. It's getting to be a pretty scarce experience these days. You can hear chainsaws, ATVs, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, weed-eaters, leaf blowers, tractor-trailers ripping down the road, Motorcycles, dirt bikes, even airplanes going overhead, etc., etc. It is almost a constant din of sounds. The thing is that none of these "things" are to blame. It's just the mechanized, technocracy that we live in. I can no more blame these machines for noise than I can blame guns for crime. No, it's not something that I welcome, but it is something that I participate in, and have just accepted as the way of life today. Let's just hope it doesn't get too nutsy!

I must say that I do wonder where it all will wind up 40 or 50 years from now. That question that Mike asked about what would it be like if every hunter owned and used an ATV kind of brought on some disturbing imaginary images. My gosh what a racket that would be ..... lol. But until that happens, I have to simply accept it all as just another sign of an active and growing society.