Camo Patterns

Five Seasons

Like many of you I received the bass pro new camo catlog yesterday and had a chuckle to see they have some new camo patterns specific to the south carolina region. Now I'm a camo junky don't get me wrong, but now we're getting a little ridiculous.

How many of you buy your gear to match your other gear or specifically choose a mossy oak for early season and a realtree hardwoods for after the green is gone?

And more importantly, if the deer can't see my bright blaze orange...

I've never worried about the specific pattern I'm wearing.  My bowhunting is done primarily from treestands.  From up high, I don't think camo pattern makes much of a difference.  During gun season, I'm wearing a blaze orange vest over my camo.

I have shot deer wearing jeans and a flannel shirt, red/black and green/black checkered, treebark,mossyoak,realtree camo, snow camo and blaze orange.

As long as I set up in a good spot with the wind in my face and be as quiet and still as I can be, I could most likely shoot one in a loin cloth.       :derisive:

• Like 2

2 Springs ago, I was in the Greenwoodlake Sports Center. I saw a camo pattern, I never saw before. The woman who co-owns the place with her husband told me it is called (tiger stripe). It was issued during the Vietnam war and just 2 complete tops and bottoms were left. They were expensive and I had to come back. Her husband was there and he was in Vietnam. He was ablle to get these through the Army-new-never issued and lying around in plastic. My new shirt and pants came complete with dog tags! I love tiger stripe for the Spring.

i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious.

I used to be a hard core Realtree guy until they got rid of Realtree hardwoods.  I get busted all the time in the new AP stuff.  For October I use whatever will blend in best.  Once November rolls around and the gun season starts I have found this works the best.

spacer.gifWR_1990_NC.JPG

spacer.gif

• Like 3

Yeah-BELO--- I am serious. I am very happy that I found them!

ok. i'm sorry i thought tiger stripe was a well known camo pattern so I couldn't tell.

My first ever deer at age 17. Reversible walls cotton jacket (christmas present) and hand me down vietnam tigerstripe pants over the top of the famous red wool pants. In fairness, this was on a drive but I don't think he cared I wasn't matching :search:

deer_zpsbfe711bf.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not too concerned about what specific camo I'm wearing as much as staying with muted tones and movement to a minimum.

That said, probably 75% of the time in the fall I'm wearing King Of The Mountain wool pants and coat that I bought (IIRC) around 1990-1992.  Expensive but I guess I've gotten my moneys worth out of it and it is far from being used up. :)

The rest of the time if it is very warm, it'll be just some light Cabela's camo pants and a fleece zip front top.  If it is below 20 or so I might be wearing a heavy waterproof insulated Cabela's MTO50 zip front hooded jacket.  I don't recall what the camo pattern is, ain't too concerned to be honest.

I used to be a hard core Realtree guy until they got rid of Realtree hardwoods.  I get busted all the time in the new AP stuff.  For October I use whatever will blend in best.  Once November rolls around and the gun season starts I have found this works the best.

spacer.gifWR_1990_NC.JPG

spacer.gif

I saw those on EBAY but they didn't have them in Fat Boy sizes .

Yes, the good old camo discussion. I have heard all kinds of reports on people getting within touching distance while wearing solid blaze orange, and I have heard stories of people getting picked off at 80 yards while wearing a ghillie suit. It makes it difficult trying to figure out what to believe. I know camo manufacturers are getting rich trying to convince us that their camo makes you invisible to the deer. I don't know, but generally I let the quality of the garment, the style of the fabric, and the price tag determine what I purchase.

Yeah not bad for a 15 year old jacket thats been theu wash many times, i Think you can still buy bolts of material, I believe realtree bought pattens, seems their latest took quite a bit from skyline ultimate. They just use too dark of colors for my taste.

Edited by G-Man

I tend to like any fall patterns but try to shy away from whites as I am usually on the ground.  As long as it is camo I am not concerned.  Some things do catch my eye, especially in pictures.  The way I look at it is if I can pick something out so can the deer!  Not really true but confidence in my camo helps my confidence. 

The fist 2 pictures show how well my buddy Shawn's camo pattern works.  (But I don't like the hat.)  I believe I was using realtree type but it was soaked and made it look much darker than normal.  The 3rd picture shows my buddy Anthony(RS) in a camo I would only use up in a tree stand.  Something about it shines to me.

4th picture is my favorite snow camo.  Amazing how you can really disappear if you match the area. 

post-1186-0-43039400-1435447005_thumb.jp

post-1186-0-53880900-1435447034_thumb.jp

post-1186-0-80661800-1435447061_thumb.jp

post-1186-0-44085500-1435447114_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I own mossy oak break up. I also pretty much just hunt from tree stands. Most of my friends use realtree. I see deer every year and so do they.

Not sure it really matters. That being said I really like the late season weight under armour stuff in Mossy Oak Treestand.