Rut predictions

G-Man

I have much respect for Charlie A. as a photographer, outdoorsman and writer. As far as his rut predictions go, I have found them to be hit or miss. Much more reliable, is tha calendar dates of November first to the fourteenth as the best two weeks to be in the deer woods for the rut. You can expect anything to happen at anytime, during those two weeks year in and year out.

• Like 4

1st two weeks doe only will throw it all into a tail wind. Bucks will breed only at night and sit tight during the day. They will know something is up when their lady friends are being targeted for abuse. They won't come out to defend but just will sit there and watch the slaughter from the thicket. But…….when we are done with our duty as conservationist to cull the herd they will come out…….seeking and searching for the leftovers, even a yearling will do. There won't be much left so bucks might just retire with the old-timers on the porch and talk about how it was back in the day….Happy hunting!

• Like 4

1st two weeks doe only will throw it all into a tail wind. Bucks will breed only at night and sit tight during the day. They will know something is up when their lady friends are being targeted for abuse. They won't come out to defend but just will sit there and watch the slaughter from the thicket. But…….when we are done with our duty as conservationist to cull the herd they will come out…….seeking and searching for the leftovers, even a yearling will do. There won't be much left so bucks might just retire with the old-timers on the porch and talk about how it was back in the day….Happy hunting!

LMAO- you rock Burty boy! :snooks:

Charlie has become somewhat an idol to me for his photography skills, but I don't pay much attention to ANYONES  predictions outside my own observations any more.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 2

Do yourself a favor and listen to the Wired To Hunt podcast w Mark Drury. He nailed it. The rut take place the same time every year BUT the moons influence (like visibility) makes it seem better or worse. Sadly he said this yr is as bad as it gets for frantic daytime chasing for the typical Election Day chase period

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some might get desperate and take a few looks at the other bucks, just saying lol.

Do yourself a favor and listen to the Wired To Hunt podcast w Mark Drury. He nailed it. The rut take place the same time every year BUT the moons influence (like visibility) makes it seem better or worse. Sadly he said this yr is as bad as it gets for frantic daytime chasing for the typical Election Day chase period

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My guess is if everyone went back and looked at all the previous years rut predictions they are pretty darn close to being the same dates.  However many many people interpret the rut differently.  Just ask what people call the rut.  Here in NT and down to camp in ST its so close to being the same every year if you take 3 days off your bound to be in it at least one of those days. 

Edited by wdswtr

My guess is if everyone went back and looked at all the previous years rut predictions they are pretty darn close to being the same dates.  However many many people interpret the rut differently.  Just ask what people call the rut.  Here in NT and down to camp in ST its so close to being the same every year if you take 3 days off your bound to be in it at least one of those days. 

That has not been my experience and my data does not support the simple notion that the rut peaks every year at the same time. The peak of the rut, when all the bucks are on their feet in the daytime has up to a three week swing on our solar calendars.) Sometimes it happens in late October, and sometimes as late as the middle of November. I have been keeping a detailed log for about 20 years on it. I do not buy into the seeking, resting, chasing phase categories. The main point of determining the peak of the rut is figuring the best time to be on stand, when those big bucks are on their feet all day and all night running does, scrape lines and aggressive towards each other. It is easy to miss it by as much as a week or by thinking that it always peaks at the same time (on our calendars.) If we used a lunar calendar I could agree that it peaks at the same time each year.

• Like 1

Last year the pre-rut kicked off the earliest I've ever seen it in my area.

Rubs and scrapes were popping up by the third week of August and steady through Oct.

Bucks were harassing doe in the fields the entire time as well even in full velvet.

I was expecting to see some serious chasing between Nov 6'th-9'th at the latest, but it never happened.

I really thought I missed my favorite time to be on stand with the bow.

Opening day of regular season (Nov. 15'th), the bucks were running doe like crazy, so I hadn't missed it after all and managed to connect then.

Once the frantic chasing begins, there's only like a 3 day window before they lock down with their doe to breed.

Although the rut is a long drawn out process that escalates over the course of weeks and months... there's only 3 days I get REALLY excited about and focus on nailing!

• Like 1

I know last year the rut was late as was expected by me, and I know it does vary, Nov 1 to 18th, with best 3 days somewhere in between those dates, but I think knowing it's will be early.or late lest.me pick when I want to be there

• Like 1

I too have kept a detailed log for well over 20 years. And in our area of 4h, I stand by November 1st. to the 14th. for having the best buck movement year in and year out. The best three days being November 9th. 10th. and 11th. for having bucks on their feet and actively searching out does. This is the time when you see bucks standing out in the middle of fields, running across roads and being a little less cautious than normal. Intensity as always depends on weather as if it's very warm, more activity will happen during the cooler period of night time hours. I agree that there are flurries of activity that happen in October and later in the season, that vary year to year. That is why you hunt every day you can. You just never know what will show up any time during the season. That's what keeps me out there all season! Or until I tag out.

• Like 2

I keep logs but I can not be in the woods all the time.  Up north November 4th- 24th prime time 10th-18th  I do believe the fluctuation (In activity.) is due to lunar cycles but can be overrun by poor weather causing most activity to happen at night or delay it until colder weather comes in.  Weather simply can wreak havoc on your hunt. 

I believe in the theory that if the temperature is 20 deg. above normal deer shut down.  EX: If your average is 40 and it's 60 deer seem to shut down.  Warm weather forces them to stay put.  This IMO seems to delay the rut from what I have seen. 

Regardless of lunar calendar or weather I want to be in the woods as much as possible the last week in October and first of November on LI.  Then November 5th-as long as I can stay up north.  Usually a 2 week stay is all work will allow. 

• Like 1

I try to spend most of my spare time hunting and paid little attention to the rut I've gotten big bucks little bucks and does all through out the season, Opening day, mid November, frigid December. It don't matter too much because you can't spend your life in the woods to watch them you hunt when you have the time and no matter what the deer are always there.

I try to spend most of my spare time hunting and paid little attention to the rut I've gotten big bucks little bucks and does all through out the season, Opening day, mid November, frigid December. It don't matter too much because you can't spend your life in the woods to watch them you hunt when you have the time and no matter what the deer are always there.

But if you know when the hot time is...the peak of the rut, it is the best time to maximize your time. Too many times down through the years I spent days in the stand, waiting for the rut to break...you can say it is still better than working...etc. Right? Wonderful to be in nature...And you never know. Lightning strikes. But I never have been very lucky. And that's OK. The only way I  kill deer is by hard work and patience and figuring them out.

• Like 1

But if you know when the hot time is...the peak of the rut, it is the best time to maximize your time. Too many times down through the years I spent days in the stand, waiting for the rut to break...you can say it is still better than working...etc. Right? Wonderful to be in nature...And you never know. Lightning strikes. But I never have been very lucky. And that's OK. The only way I  kill deer is by hard work and patience and figuring them out.

I agree my last buck I got was in Nov/10/2013 so yes the rut may have a factor in when you get a buck but its hard to keep up on their routine, in my area that I hunt they change their routine every year and in such little window time space I get to scout/hunt but as long as I'm out there for at least 2 days a week I'll get something.

Edited by Mossberg500Guy