Talking to neighbors..

Al Bundy

One semi close neighbor owns a house and 1 acre that butts up against where I hunt. Most mornings weekends one person from the house takes their dog for a walk through the woods and pass by within 50 or so yards of me. This usually during bow season.  I don't own the piece they walk on, and neither do they. I would like to ask them to not walk in the area but I am afraid this will backfire.  I don't own the land so I really have no claim to ask them not to go there. I also heard from a former neighbor at least one person in the house "enjoys seeing the animals". I don't think they have seen me in the tree ever as they are watching the dog and not looking in my direction.  They must hear my shooting at times so are aware at least guns are around.  Its really annoying as any deer will hear and see them walking and the dog is often times barking at whatever it sees. Any ideas on how to approach them? Leave it be?

if i was a betting man i would bet the land owner is more likely to side with the dog walker than the hunter. as a dog walker myself losing a daily stroll would be devastating and i can't see any owner wanting to take something like that away. The best chance you have is if the owners getting their garden eaten by deer or wants some venison.

I talked about a guy that did this every bow season...Not his land but both our neighbors...He would even wave at me...well one day he waved and I just shook my head...I was hunting just a week after having part of my figure amputated all bandaged up holding a bow with no pain killers because I was in a stand.so not in a mood as it were...he stopped turned around and walked back to his place...he wasn't 10 yrds down the trail when a nice 8pt popped his head out of the brambles and watched him walk away...he then stepped out and walked 10 yrds past me for a double lung...I yelled thank you an named that buck after him...later showed him the picture...he has never walked that path while I hunted again...BTW he gun hunts.

One of the lease guys screamed at a woman walking her dog down a open dirt road...his stand was 10 ft from the edge...well the whole town heard about it and she doubled her efforts and walked the dog before and after work...personally I thought it perfect for that particular person..lol

So it's all how you handle it...Good Luck

• Like 2

My neighbor on the other side already calls the police quite often when I shoot or when hunting.  I don't want a repeat of that. I tend to think if I spoke to the land owner and said this person walks their dog and screws up my hunting he would likely say So what..

I was more thinking maybe when the person walked their dog I could be friendly and approach and mention that people are hunting out here and maybe its not the safest thing to walk through the woods during hunting season and allow your dog to run around off leash. Not sure how this may be met.  Sometimes it looks like a mother walks the dog and other times looks like a young teenage daughter.  They did spook a doe on me last year and who knows how many other deer I didn't see got spooked.

One of the spots we hunt ,100 acres ,my buddy's wife was out walking the dogs when a hunter came up screaming at her. She said to him that she was gonna talk to the land owner who is their neighbor about who he would rather have on the property . He changed his tune real quick. It really depends on the person who owns the land as to who has the right away.

• Like 1

I would never say it's not the safest thing to walk their dogs in hunting season , someone like me would take that as a thinly vailed threat .

Myself I'd just hunt , not your land not his.

I have two ladies who walk their dogs daily along the boarder of my hunting spot, depending upon what's planted and or harvested in those fields in any given year.

I can't say it's really effected my hunting. My spot in Webster dog walkers and walkers in general are a common thing, heck I walk my dog there during the season as well.

My neighbor on the other side already calls the police quite often when I shoot or when hunting.  I don't want a repeat of that. I tend to think if I spoke to the land owner and said this person walks their dog and screws up my hunting he would likely say So what..

I was more thinking maybe when the person walked their dog I could be friendly and approach and mention that people are hunting out here and maybe its not the safest thing to walk through the woods during hunting season and allow your dog to run around off leash. Not sure how this may be met.  Sometimes it looks like a mother walks the dog and other times looks like a young teenage daughter.  They did spook a doe on me last year and who knows how many other deer I didn't see got spooked.

deer also get used to certain behaviors and noises. so chances are this person might not be screwing anything up at all. be careful you dont end up losing recovery rights.

• Like 1

I deal with the same situation every year. I personally let it go because I don't know the landowner or if the lady has the right to go on his property. The only thing I don't like is that they sometimes trespass onto the property I hunt but it they have never done it while I was there. I would say you could talk to the land owner first and then talk to them in a very polite manor. I see no reason how they could get mad at you if you approach them with respect.

If they do it every day and stay on leash and on a trail then ignore it deer will still move as normal. I have friends that walk dogs every day at any time on their property ( they don't hunt) they have given others permission to hunt but they don't because the dog screws them up... well I go in and shoot 120 class buck after they walk dog right behind their house maybe 70 yards from the back door. And everyone is surprised... big buck know where the dogs are and will cozy up just out of range of them. As they know hunters stay away..

• Like 1

Do you have permission to hunt the land? I would talk to the landowner of this property before talking to the people walking a dog. They might be friends with the land owner as well and land owner won't care about a dog being walked on the property.

Sounds like a small area if other neighbors are calling the police for you shooting.

You know, it is a given that there are some places in this world that just aren't practical to hunt. The simple solution is to hunt elsewhere. There are places that I used to hunt that now have houses, dirt  bikes, screaming children and barking dogs. I adapted and moved on to quieter areas.

My neighbor on the other side already calls the police quite often when I shoot or when hunting. I don't want a repeat of that. I tend to think if I spoke to the land owner and said this person walks their dog and screws up my hunting he would likely say So what..

I was more thinking maybe when the person walked their dog I could be friendly and approach and mention that people are hunting out here and maybe its not the safest thing to walk through the woods during hunting season and allow your dog to run around off leash. Not sure how this may be met. Sometimes it looks like a mother walks the dog and other times looks like a young teenage daughter. They did spook a doe on me last year and who knows how many other deer I didn't see got spooked.

I feel your pain in a circumstance like this I have had this happen to me plenty of times once I asked the homeowner what she thought about people trespassing on her property and she said she did not mind people walking through even though it ruined my hunting efforts. Usually situations like this will backfire on the hunter.

My suggestion may be to find a nonlethal way to discourage the dogs from coming into the woods. One time my dad put out peanut butter with hot pepper flakes on the ground and a dog that would sometimes walk in the woods came to it and ate it and never came back in the woods after that.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

You run a risk if you say anything, and agree with thinly veiled threat above. Realistically, do you expect these people who regularly walk their dog to not walk it for the next 2-3 months during hunting season? That's far more of an imposition on them than you possibly having a deer spooked away. It's also possible this dog is one day going to drive a deer toward you, and if they are there that often the deer may be used to it anyway and not particularly spooked.

One time my dad put out peanut butter with hot pepper flakes on the ground and a dog that would sometimes walk in the woods came to it and ate it and never came back in the woods after that.
The dog walker will probably wonder why this is out there ;) Edited by Core

You know, it is a given that there are some places in this world that just aren't practical to hunt. The simple solution is to hunt elsewhere. There are places that I used to hunt that now have houses, dirt  bikes, screaming children and barking dogs. I adapted and moved on to quieter areas.

some of the biggest deer my family has taken have been not too far off of interstate 81. it doesn't make for a peaceful hunt, but the hunting is good.

some of the biggest deer my family has taken have been not too far off of interstate 81. it doesn't make for a peaceful hunt, but the hunting is good.

Yeah, I used to watch a show on TV called "Chasing tail" or some stupid name like that. It was about urban hunters. They had pretty good hunting there too.....lol. But I have to say that even if there was a guaranteed book-buck in it for me, I would never be found hunting in that kind of situation. It simply has to do with my own personal requirements for the hunting experience, the sights and sounds and the escape from all of the crap of civilization. Lol.... If I wanted to, I could sit in my livingroom and shoot deer in my front yard out the window if I only wanted a deer to shoot. But for me, there are some places that simply do not offer an adequate hunting experience, and I don't hunt those places. But, that's just me. I guess its a subjective thing that is simply a measure of what hunting needs to be for each individual.

Yeah, I used to watch a show on TV called "Chasing tail" or some stupid name like that. It was about urban hunters. They had pretty good hunting there too.....lol. But I have to say that even if there was a guaranteed book-buck in it for me, I would never be found hunting in that kind of situation. It simply has to do with my own personal requirements for the hunting experience, the sights and sounds and the escape from all of the crap of civilization. Lol.... If I wanted to, I could sit in my livingroom and shoot deer in my front yard out the window if I only wanted a deer to shoot. But for me, there are some places that simply do not offer an adequate hunting experience, and I don't hunt those places. But, that's just me. I guess its a subjective thing that is simply a measure of what hunting needs to be for each individual.

i'm with you. i dislike some of the stands that are closer to the interstate. The sound of a super highway is not what I'm looking for in a hunt, although I'll still sit them a few times a year because some monsters have been shot there.