I hope I didn't ruin the spot. Thoughts?

regulat0r

I just got permission to hunt a piece of land near me. I scouted last weekend and found a narrow oak flat with many worn down deer trails leading to cover. It looked like a great spot so I hung a hand on stand there. The problem is it was 90 degrees that day and I was a sweaty mess. I know I left a ton of sweat/ scent in that area. If I let the spot settle for 2 weeks until the opener and maybe even a week into the season (3 weeks total) do u think I will be safe with deer being wise to me? I always hear so many different theories when it comes to leaving human scent near a stand. Any thoughts?

I just got permission to hunt a piece of land near me. I scouted last weekend and found a narrow oak flat with many worn down deer trails leading to cover. It looked like a great spot so I hung a hand on stand there. The problem is it was 90 degrees that day and I was a sweaty mess. I know I left a ton of sweat/ scent in that area. If I let the spot settle for 2 weeks until the opener and maybe even a week into the season (3 weeks total) do u think I will be safe with deer being wise to me? I always hear so many different theories when it comes to leaving human scent near a stand. Any thoughts?

The deer could really care less.  They'll forget all about your sweaty carcass within hours, trust me.

• Like 4

I setup a new stand in an area this year, which has had very little human activity in it compared to other years. 4 of us were in there for a few hours, including my kids running around smashing dead trees, picking up hickory nuts, I took a wizz or two, we did a bunch of heavy cutting of lanes, etc. It was 90+ out and we were all sweating. I have a trail cam 30 yards from the stand, and have night and daytime pictures of lots of deer, including a couple of mature bucks feeding, walking, hanging out (one 4 year old buck walked around just in front of the camera during the evening for 1/2 hour eating hickory nuts) from that same evening going forward.

I wouldnt worry about it.

• Like 1

If we could actually get some rain to wash some of the scent away I think it would help but rain is not something I am familiar with as I have not seen any in a long time, lol.  Like stated above go for it!  I would not worry to much as the deer are not wise to us hunters, yet.  Good luck with your new area, I hope you have much success!

If we could actually get some rain to wash some of the scent away I think it would help but rain is not something I am familiar with as I have not seen any in a long time, lol.  Like stated above go for it!  I would not worry to much as the deer are not wise to us hunters, yet.  Good luck with your new area, I hope you have much success!

Moisture holds scent. The sun and UV rays beating down on the scent molecules breaks them down pretty quickly.

If deer spooked at every drop of sweat, urine or other human, coyote, dog, etc. that get deposited in the woods, they would never stop running .... lol. I believe there is a big difference in reactions to those kinds of deposited scents, and the fresh scent coming off the actual body. One is the scent of a critter that isn't there anymore, and the other is the scent of something that is still present.

• Like 1