Cutting the cord for cable.

First-light

I'm keeping my internet service but might get rid of cable for the TV. I'll buy a digital antenna and get the local stations. What else is there out there that I can use to download movies and such when my girls come over. I'm not a big TV fan and its basically a waste of money. I know about Netflicks and Hulu but just don't know how it works?

Thanks FL

• Like 1

I got rid of the tv when it went digital and I've never had cable. A 25" computer monitor, a netflix subscription, and a bunch of DVD's works for me.

Netflix is just a subscription service FL. You pay the monthly fee and watch what they offer on your computer, or purchase a Roku device or similar to plug into your tv. They have a decent selection of movies, sit-coms and history shows. All with no commercials. Well worth the 8 or 9 bucks a month IMO. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 3

I cut a few years ago. My entire family has far more crap than we can watch even still. Using an antenna for local HD (we only really watch news, as I cannot suffer ads without a DVR).

To your question of Netflix & Hulu, you just need a streaming hardware player. There are many. The main popular ones are Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire. It's hard to go wrong with any of them. Then you pay the $8-9 month for Netflix or Hulu subscriptions and you can stream as much as you want. Time Warner doesn't currently have any bandwidth caps in your area.

Netflix is good for slightly older series, like something that finished up a year ago or so (example many shows will have all their seasons on netflix except for the most recent one). They also do some of their own series (which are good and not low budget crap). Hulu is best for brand new, current running stuff. That's why I have both.

If you--I mean your wife--MUST have HGTV, then you need to spend $20/month on Sling TV, which is just the same basic concept as Hulu and Netflix; it's another service you pay monthly for to watch certain things.

I will never subscribe for cable tv or satellite again. They are dinosaurs and too expensive.

As for recording OTA (over the air--what you get with your HD antenna), it's still a lot of hassle (or too expensive via Tivo) and I don't advise it. I'm a fairly huge techno geek so I'm very familiar with all this crap :)

Edited by Core
  • Like 2

We haven't had cable in 18 yrs or so...use the computer after the gov. took away my 26+ rabbit ear stations..now we just manage 4 stations...but have netflix and Amazon...We get  alot of stuff from Amazon so bought thier up grade for free shipping...that includes their version of netflix and free music plus kindle books...but Mr B picked up a couple of fire sticks on sale and that gives us easy access to a lot of things including games...heck of a lot cheaper than cable for sure...

Edited by growalot

FYI we rent a lot of movies from our local library . I think it may cost a .25 to request one from another branch and have it delivered to your branch. Movies are as update as your local rent a movie place. It's a dollar per day per late fee but get movie(s) for a week. can renew online for another week if need be.

My old Cablevision (TV+Internet) bill was $182.00 /mo

I bought:

• Three Roku 2 devices for each TV ($70 x 3 = $210)
  • DTV antenna $150.00 (Antenna + cables + install kit)

That's a $360 one time expense.

Then I subscribed to:

• Hulu subscription $7.99/mo
  • Sling subscription $20.00/mo 
  • Cablevision internet subscription $29.90/mo ($24.95 + $4.95 modem)

Now my monthly charges are $57.89 /mo

I am saving $124.00 /mo.  It took me three months to recoup the $360 initial outlay.

I would cut out Sling, but my wife insists on having Food Network, the Cooking Channel, and HGTV.

Edited by Black Bellamy
  • Like 1

Oh ok. I wanted a smart tv but hubby said NO!

I wish we had a thumbs down button so I could thumb down the disallowance of a smart TV. Also 4k is a waste unless you're pushing 70+ inches from a very close range. From 10+ feet away the difference is basically indistinguishable

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk