So I wonder how that 2 week kill only doe is working out

swank68

as a bow hunter for over 30 years i have to ask why would you not go hunting unless you hunt for a trophy and not meat which is what hunting is (supposed) to be about isnt it i would never stop hunting just because i could only hunt does and remember this 2 weeks was not even available a few years ago 

• Like 1

as a bow hunter for over 30 years i have to ask why would you not go hunting unless you hunt for a trophy and not meat which is what hunting is (supposed) to be about isnt it i would never stop hunting just because i could only hunt does and remember this 2 weeks was not even available a few years ago 

I already explained why just a couple of posts ago. 

As far as what hunting is all about, its different for many people. Not everyone is in it just for meat. For me, I will kill does to keep their numbers in check and get the meat I want to fill my freezer with. I do not shoot every doe I have the opportunity to kill, nor do I keep killing them until I run out of tags. Its based on how many that the group of us feels should be taken of of certain properties we hunt. It doesnt matter what day of the season I kill them, dead is dead at the end of the season. I enjoy hunting deer for a variety of reasons, friends, family, the challenge, being out in the woods, getting away from the hustle and bustle, etc. Im no trophy hunter, but I do have stadards on the bucks I would shoot, and I try not to do things that will unnecessarily lessen my chance at killing the ones Im after.

• Like 2

I have read where some didn't like the longer seasons, so in that sense I don't understand the complaints about the laws.

But, on the other hand I can see why people are ticked off, DEC took the right to make the choice on our own away.

It's a catch 22 and a bitter pill we had to swallow. Just keep making emails and sending letters to state the new laws is more or less not going to have the effect they hoped for. All we can do at this point.

No I am not a tool of the States DEC...they are a tool used by the tax payers of this state to help manage the herd in a sound and productive manner. Not only hunting but for general population enjoyment and to aid in the lessening of the amount of state $$$$ given out for farm subsidies. It is the DEC that needs to be made accountable for years of mismanagement and producing an air of distrust amungst hunters.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Even though they do not have the early doe season in our area, there have been very few hunters out as in the past  during archery seasons. The die hard hunters that have been going past the house at 5:00 am or about then have not been buy yet. Most years they head back to there camp once during the day and then head back out until sunset. Non so far this year.

First of all, I think the whole plan is motivated by an anti-bowhunter bias. Why do I say that? well, first of all if it was only about increasing the annual doe take, this doe-only activity would be placed in the season where it is most likely to actually work. That would be gun season. So their stated motives are certainly suspect. Secondly, about a decade ago the DEC was championing an early muzzleloader season. That "want" has not gone away, but what has gone away is the honesty of how they intend to force it to happen. Today they are pushing it under the guise of doe harvest management. When you put it all together, the whole deal is about as underhanded a deal as I have seen since Cuomo's midnight raid on the 2nd Amendment.

And then from a practical standpoint, a buck spooked off a stand because the hunter can't legally harvest him, is not likely to be coming back for a second try in a couple of weeks. Pretty much, the better buck stands have a good chance of being wrecked for the entire season by bucks going by the stand and getting downwind and learning where not to go. I really don't want to do that. So I intend to stay out of my stands until I can have an opportunity to take that buck instead of simply watching him pass by until he is downwind. At that point I will take buck or doe depending on what comes along. I'll take does as the opportunity presents itself, and if a buck comes along that I want, I'll take that too.

I admit I didn't read all the posts, but it appears Doc is the only one who is seeing thru the DEC's ploy. They want to be able to say "well that didn't work, so now we must".... 

Doesn't it anger you to sit here and be exploited? I can't believe the various organizations did not put up a more vocal stink about what the DEC is doing. 

Can't wait for next years archery/ML season. And god help us if that doesn't lower doe to their satisfaction. 

growalot hunting is not your job but the fact is you are the tool the dec uses for managing the heard so of you do not work they will be forced to find another tool for the job its your call

But he doesn't have to do it now. He can wait until later. And that's only if you believe the state. Areas vary and if you are not seeing many.....

Here’s what I think is funny. all the guys who said they weren’t going to hunt the doe only 2 weeks. If a doe goes by them on the 15th they will shoot it. Cracks me up someone would give up 2 weeks of hunting.

Obviously you dont understand the concept of not contaminating an area, or possibly getting busted by a buck you are hunting that season when you cant kill him. Cracks me up that someone that has hunted for as long as you cant comprehend it.

• Like 6

Well , I will be out spooking the deer this am . I plan tyo head to Geneseo in about another 1/2 hour with the hopes to get a shot at a doe . Meat in the freezer is what it's about for me . At my age , I will take what I can get . 

Is your Geneseo spot in the doe only zone? South of 20A and you are out of it.

First off, Im not crying. Im good, and will get plenty of hunting in this year. I just look at it like the season is back to what it used to be. I have no reason to hunt elsewhere.

Second, you dont seem to understand anything about the situation. You dont hunt here, you dont know the facts behind the program, you dont know what the DEC has said about it. Why do you always seem to have something to say about it?

Let me clarify a point, I' m one of those hunters that have chosen not to enter the woods until I possess the ability to shoot either sex. That choice was made because I didn't want to pass on a buck of a lifetime, if one presented a good kill shot oppurtunity. I, apparently unlike many other hunters have no quams in taking a doe. Meat in the freezer is my priority, I might even take a second doe. But I show some restraint in the size of a buck I take. It works for me. And that is the most important faucet of the way I hunt. I personally don't care what others think. Nor do I look down on anyone that has different hunting philosophy than me. To each their own. But this week end, the unnecessary restraints applied by the DEC powers to be are removed. Hopefully this hunter, that as no problem harvesting does will be able to do so, even though he missed 15 days of oppurtunity( due to the manner in which the dec addressed the overpopulation of doe's in certain DMP). And yes,I'm aware they didn't stop me from taking a doe the first 15 days. Just didn't want to be faced with a decision to remain a law abiding hunter or succumb to the desire to take a trophy buck and become a poacher.

So, it doesn't shock me that a number of hunters that would have no problem shooting a doe, choose not to hunt the first 15 days. By the way, explin to me how a hunter that frowns on the taking of doe's justifies taking a buck I under 150 pt total score? Don't believe the antlers have turned into any type of culinary delicacy. But like I stated earlier to each their own.

• Like 1

The changing of opening day from a Monday to Saturday was probably the most important single factor that dramatically slowed the lost of deer hunters. The ability to partake in opening day activities without missing work or burning limited vacation time was the assistance our young hunters(future of the sport..

Edited by Jmny

Yep must not know the concept of not contaminating area with 8 p&y’s net and  another 6 gross all but 1 take from stands hunted more than once. As soon as you set foot into the woods its contaminated weather it’s the first time or the 10th time and there is nothing you can do about it. So its BS not hunting a stand.

• Like 1

Yep must not know the concept of not contaminating area with 8 p&y’s net and  another 6 gross all but 1 take from stands hunted more than once. As soon as you set foot into the woods its contaminated weather it’s the first time or the 10th time and there is nothing you can do about it. So its BS not hunting a stand.

The more you contaminate the area, the worse your chances are. If you get busted by a mature buck, you are far less likely to get another crack at him that season. Its a pretty simple concept, and you know it. You are just being a troll, trying to get peoples hackles up. Its your MO on here. Same as the thread you kept poking and prodding, posting nonsense trying to get it up to "50 pages".

The number of P&Y bucks on your wall doesnt impress me much when you act like a douche bag.

• Like 5

No I am not a tool of the States DEC...they are a tool used by the tax payers of this state to help manage the herd in a sound and productive manner. Not only hunting but for general population enjoyment and to aid in the lessening of the amount of state $$$$ given out for farm subsidies. It is the DEC that needs to be made accountable for years of mismanagement and producing an air of distrust amungst hunters.

Don't forget the insurance companies with deer and vehicle collisions.

what i dont understand about all the crying is the area that is doe only is not the only place to hunt just hunt another zone 

Many of us don't have the luxury of just picking up and hunting a different spot. I have a young son (8 months) and if I hunted other areas I wouldn't be able to put him down at night. I don't leave it all for my wife to do and like to be a part of his routine as he sees me for 5 minutes in the morning and about an hour at night when I hunt. I have the ability to hunt other areas but they are not worth the drive.

I hunt for meat and a trophy is there a problem in doing both? We have nice deer on our properties but because we have chosen to let the smaller bucks grow and do not pressure deer during any season. I don't think that bow season was the season to try and cull the deer herd, many meat hunters are out during gun season more so than bow.