The man with one gun

Borngeechee

I know you have all heard this before...

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!" Do you believe there can be one gun that can be used for the majority of hunting done in North America? If so what would it be in your opinion?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

One gun for all game in NA? That's a tricky one. So, I am going to make my call on all game including small game and predators.

A shotgun in either 12 or 20 gauge, with a rifled barrel and a smooth bore barrel. You have everything covered. You can't hunt turkey or water fowl or do wing shooting with a rifle.

Even a 20 will kill anything we can hunt in NA. The reason I say a shotgun is it really is the most universal of all the fire arms out there. For those that say the 20 might not be enough for larger game, think about this. If you can kill it with a bow you can sure as hell kill it with a 20.

• Like 1

One gun for all game in NA? That's a tricky one. So, I am going to make my call on all game including small game and predators.

A shotgun in either 12 or 20 gauge, with a rifled barrel and a smooth bore barrel. You have everything covered. You can't hunt turkey or water fowl or do wing shooting with a rifle.

Even a 20 will kill anything we can hunt in NA. The reason I say a shotgun is it really is the most universal of all the fire arms out there. For those that say the 20 might not be enough for larger game, think about this. If you can kill it with a bow you can sure as hell kill it with a 20.

Plus a rifled slug from a 20 is somewhere around 50 Cal.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If  I were limited to one gun, it would be a 16 ga shotgun with a modified choke (you guys are cheating with two barrels).   With that, and the proper ammo,I could take any North American game inside of 50 yards. 

How are we cheating?

OK, one gun to fit all, 20 ga. pump ( pumps are very reliable ) with mod choke, around a 30" barrel. Ammo is super easy to get ( both slugs and different shot loads ), not horrible on the recoil, and a pretty flat trajectory over all.

As for 12 vs. 20, personal choice. 16 might be in the middle but in some areas ammo is hard to find.

Edited by ....rob

If the one gun were to include big game and small game,  the most versatile and effective  chambering would be a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs for bigger game and shot loads for smaller game and birds...

Nothing else comes CLOSE to the 12 gauge as far as versatility is concerned....

If you are considering a rifle chambering for all medium and big game...30-06....

• 1 month later...

I am a one-(hunting)-gun owner - A Sako AIII in .270.  It will take any game in the lower 48, European moose, and capercaillie and black grouse (in Europe).  I'm adding a 9.3x62 or .338 Win Mag exclusively for moose, but I'm pretty darn happy with my .270.   I have a .17HMR too, but that's just for the range.

I am a one-(hunting)-gun owner - A Sako AIII in .270. It will take any game in the lower 48, European moose, and capercaillie and black grouse.

You use a 270 on grouse? Is there any meat left after you hit it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk