How Many 5.5 Year Old Bucks Have You Killed? (and older)

Lawdwaz

a lot of people seem to screw up the "roman nose".  it really doesn't have much to do with the nose but the side profile of the head.  wider the angle between the top and bottom of the face (more the side profile looks like a triangle) the more it's a roman nose.  some screw it up because they see a young heavy buck with just a short skull.

"turd poker" is a bit hillarious​

another characteristic of 5.5+ is it'll look like the neck carries crazy mass right up to the head, as if you could shove the bucks head down into the neck with plenty of room.

I never have had one sent away to age the tooth. Never seemed a big deal. I have had one tip the scale @ 206#. Heavy horned 12 that had two stickers. Six others were over 180. I would bet they were good 3.5's. If I had a hope that one of mine was 5.5, it would have been the 12. Full rut and measures 26" neck just below the head. Good northern big woods buck.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

a lot of people seem to screw up the "roman nose".  it really doesn't have much to do with the nose but the side profile of the head.  wider the angle between the top and bottom of the face (more the side profile looks like a triangle) the more it's a roman nose.  some screw it up because they see a young heavy buck with just a short skull.

"turd poker" is a bit hillarious​

another characteristic of 5.5+ is it'll look like the neck carries crazy mass right up to the head, as if you could shove the bucks head down into the neck with plenty of room.

My roman nose comment was a sarcastic reference to a comment someone made about being able to age a deer by the profile of its nose a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

How'd all those 5.5 year old bucks taste btw ?

while there is a difference it's pretty subtle.  many can't cook venison worth a damn and don't store it in the freezer well enough to warrant worrying about taste of a mature buck compared to one that's not.  while I agree those are not my words.  multiple well known wild game chefs I've met at outdoor shows and other places have said it.

• Like 2

while there is a difference it's pretty subtle.  many can't cook venison worth a damn and don't store it in the freezer well enough to warrant worrying about taste of a mature buck compared to one that's not.  while I agree those are not my words.  multiple well known wild game chefs I've met at outdoor shows and other places have said it.

speak for yourself. most guys i know place more attention on the post-game than they do the hunt.

• Like 1

How'd all those 5.5 year old bucks taste btw ?

my first one was a northern deer, stronger meat, but I was also new to hunting and certainly didn't care for the meat like I do now.

The 2nd one (southern tier near Cazenovia crops) was as tender and good eating as any I have had. First was rutting, charging all over the hill, the 2nd was post rut, just lazing in the morning sun.

• Like 1