Hearing while hunting

upstatehunter

I think hearing is way under utilized in the woods. If you are fortunate enough to have good hearing, it can be such a beneficial asset. This is especially true when bow hunting... My Dad suffers from hearing loss, auto collision business, I cant tell you how many times he has been surprised by a stealthy whitetail. Do whatever to optimize your hearing, even if you're ears get cold. I wear a knit hat covering head and just tip of ears. It's weird my ears don't get cold.... My feet are a different story altogether.

Edited by Taylormike
  • Like 1

The only time I'll wear any covering over my ears is late MZ season when temps are usually 20deg or less in the early mornings. Mainly depend on my vision, but hearing is very helpful too! Although there are times I try to tune-out my hearing. Damned squirrels!!!!

When hunting I have a hard time wearing a hat or putting up a hood. I feel like it cuts down my hearing.

For years I have put up with frozen ears for this exact reason. It drives me nuts when I have anything over my ears. Hearing is so important to my hunting. That is one reason why I am getting panicky about my hearing deterioration in recent years. I can't see in all directions at once, but I rely on my hearing to cover the areas that I'm not looking at.

It's a real asset to hear well in the woods and I'm thankful to still have good hearing. During cold days on stand I'll wear 2 or even 3 fleece caps to keep my head warm and something around my neck that I can pull up over my nose too, but I really want to have my ears uncovered to hear what is going on around me.

At age 64 I too am experiencing hearing loss due to 50 years of hunting and shooting without any form of hearing protection. I have found that the ideal solution is to buy a quality pair of electronic hearing muffs to wear in the field. I highly recommend and use the Howard Leight Impact Sport hearing muffs. They have a volume control so you can control the amount of amplification of sounds and they cut out when you fire a gun. In addition, they will keep your ears warm in very cold weather. They are low profile and do not interfere with shooting a long gun. I use them in the duck blind, in my treestand, on the ground when I'm turkey hunting, and even when I'm hunting rabbits with my beagles.  In adddition to the advantages I have mentioned, they will protect you from any further hearing loss. My son and several of my buddies went out and purchased them after I let them try out my pair, and now they all wear them out in the field when hunting.

• Like 1

The only time I'll wear any covering over my ears is late MZ season when temps are usually 20deg or less in the early mornings. Mainly depend on my vision, but hearing is very helpful too! Although there are times I try to tune-out my hearing. Damned squirrels!!!!

luckily few hunters will be out there in mz anymore except the few without any meat in the freezer still.

• Like 1

My hearing is fine normally but I do agree, when it's cold and the hood is on and ear are covered, I worry I might miss something.  I try to go as long as I can without my ears covered.  I also worry that the hood covers some of my peripheral vision.