Back from processor.... Help.

zeus1gdsm

I'm telling you if it was slimey and looks like that I wouldn't be eating it especially if you partially hit the guts.... The length and temps that you hung that deer at are not safe.... You may be fine but I wouldn't risk it...... This is coming from someone who is certified to teach a national food handlers course

Ok, it passed the sniff-test, it passed the taste test, and the only thing wrong is the camera's interpretation of color, given that the lighting may not have been the best in the world. Enjoy your venison. The only thing that I don't trust is the color interpretation of your camera.

• Like 3

I'm telling you if it was slimey and looks like that I wouldn't be eating it especially if you partially hit the guts.... The length and temps that you hung that deer at are not safe.... You may be fine but I wouldn't risk it...... This is coming from someone who is certified to teach a national food handlers course

He said it was not slimy 

I Have to agree with everyones first impressions...that's some pretty rough looking meat...Now the steaks might be fine...and I'm not sure I noticed ground meat...but if there is, THAT I would not eat...for It is where the bacteria will breed. Personally I won't even grind my own venison or chicken ahead of time...every thing is done just before cooking

I know a little about meat handling...went to chef school, worked as a butcher 10 years in a store, ran a deer processing business for 15 years...

First off, there is something off with the lighting and color in the photos, I highly doubt the meat turned that color in that short of time. Venison that isn't refrigerated quickly enough turns a green tinge and will smell gassy, not brown. If it looks and smells fine, it probably is. You'll know if it isn't within 24 hours of eating your first meal of it.

As far as the cuts, looks to me as if the butcher gave you a lot of "chip" or "minute" steaks. He probably thought he was doing you a favor, since it's more time consuming than just wrapping roasts. I had a checklist that I went through when I had my business, I made sure I knew exactly what the customer wanted before they drove off.

I was under the impression that in NY the processor was supposed to label all packages with the backtag number of the hunter who shot the deer, don't see that on the packages (I could be wrong, I ran my business in PA).

I always wrapped my orders in freezer paper, I had rubber stamps and would label the cuts, number of pieces, and date packaged on the package. This was before vacuum sealers became popular. Wrapping in styrofoam trays & cellophane probably isn't the best method, especially if you want smaller portions.

• Like 1

Give some  to the dog ,they say dogs won't eat rotten meat ... but i have seen a rottweiler eat a TV remote and swallow the batteries and not miss a beat ,so second thought , don't give it to the dog as a test.

When the dog lays down or moves around can it change the channels ?   :rolleyes:

Feeling fine today. I'm going to eat a larger meal of it today. Just had 2 pieces. So I'll do a large meal and see what happens.

I think I'm going to turn the majority of this into jerky.

Anyone recommend a processor in the utica Rome Holland patent area?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I know a little about meat handling...went to chef school, worked as a butcher 10 years in a store, ran a deer processing business for 15 years...

First off, there is something off with the lighting and color in the photos, I highly doubt the meat turned that color in that short of time. Venison that isn't refrigerated quickly enough turns a green tinge and will smell gassy, not brown. If it looks and smells fine, it probably is. You'll know if it isn't within 24 hours of eating your first meal of it.

As far as the cuts, looks to me as if the butcher gave you a lot of "chip" or "minute" steaks. He probably thought he was doing you a favor, since it's more time consuming than just wrapping roasts. I had a checklist that I went through when I had my business, I made sure I knew exactly what the customer wanted before they drove off.

I was under the impression that in NY the processor was supposed to label all packages with the backtag number of the hunter who shot the deer, don't see that on the packages (I could be wrong, I ran my business in PA).

I always wrapped my orders in freezer paper, I had rubber stamps and would label the cuts, number of pieces, and date packaged on the package. This was before vacuum sealers became popular. Wrapping in styrofoam trays & cellophane probably isn't the best method, especially if you want smaller portions.

They will most likely label the cuts on the packages....I have never seen a backtag #, and have used 4 different processors in the wny area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

they didn't freeze it?

I have been processing meats deer and others for over 20 years everything leaves here frozen. the color difference is most likely brought on by air touching the meat hence those packs look nice but they do allow air to enter them and as others have said will cause freezer burn.

the multiple small pieces look like flank,neck and stuff that could of been stew meat or ground. The meat shouldn't have any bad taste from the color as long as it was kept cold while your processor had it.    

them not marking what the cuts are is a little lax but I guess that's how some do it, like I read in earlier post you can do your own its really not hard and their is a lot videos on you tube.    

Edited by Critter4321

They will most likely label the cuts on the packages....I have never seen a backtag #, and have used 4 different processors in the wny area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm probably wrong. But I remember reading in the regs years ago that all packages needed to be labeled with backtag number, but maybe this was between third-parties, and didn't apply to the processor? At any rate, it seems to have changed now.

I'm glad others feel the color is from air. Where the meat was touching itself within the packs it was the standard nice red color.....

My time as a meat cutter in grocery stores leads me to think that air is the culprit due to the packaging and sit time in their cooler.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Our family eats 4 average sized deer a year and I always cut them up myself.  I usually package the first one in quart-sized zip-lock freezer bags.  Those save time and work great as long as you eat it within 3-4 months.    The rest get vacuum sealed.  That keeps the frozen meat from freezer burning and tasting fresh for at least three years (every so often a dated package gets lost in the back of the freezer).   Usually, I age the meat for a week or so at 33 - 45 degrees F, to be sure the rigermortice is broken down, prior to processing and freezing. The timing didn't work out for that on the last two this season.   They were killed one day and cut up and froze on the next.   It will be interesting to compare them vacuum-sealed packages with the one I zip-locked earlier, during archery season, when I had time to age for a week in an old refrigerator.   I made them "next-day" deer into all roasts and grind.    I figured the grinder or the crock-pot would be able to take out the rigermortice that way.   The meat from one of them, a 1-1/2 year old doe, felt pretty good, like maybe rigermortice had not set up yet.  A 2-1/2 year old buck, killed about 5 minutes prior, seemed a little "rubbery" however. 

Years ago, before I started cutting up my own, I had some from a processor packaged just like yours in them little foam trays and covered with plastic wrap.   I don't think I would worry too much about re-packaging as long as you eat it all within about 6 months.    Your best bet would have been to just get it frozen ASAP after you got it back.   That type of packaging keeps the air out pretty good, probably better than zip-lock freezer bags.  Go get yourself another one and vacuum seal that one, for the long term.   I am still waiting for number 4 myself this year, hopefully it will be my wife's favorite, a 6-month, antlerless buck.   Maybe this weekend or late ML season.   Venison does not get much better than the liver of a 6-month old deer and it has been almost a year now since I had any of that.                  

Ask around and find another butcher, freezer paper or that cellophane is so 1960's. I will not go to a butcher that does not vacuum seal and as far as labeling goes all my butcher writes on each package is either steak, ground, roast, stew, backstrap or tenderloin. He also makes sausage, jerky and a whole bunch more.

$85.00 is on the high side, I know guys at $90.000 my guy is $75.00 for basic cuts and with 12 lbs of Italian sweet sausage it will come to $100.

Ok i still get 25 pounds of bonless meat from each rear hind quarter. Thats off a two year old buck. Sounds like the butcher likes his deer meat.  eighty dollars in cash and eighty dollars in meat. carefull wher you go, no one does my deer its to easy and i know what i get . makes me feal good to do it myself.

Ok i still get 25 pounds of bonless meat from each rear hind quarter. Thats off a two year old buck. Sounds like the butcher likes his deer meat.  eighty dollars in cash and eighty dollars in meat. carefull wher you go, no one does my deer its to easy and i know what i get . makes me feal good to do it myself.

A guy I work with looked at me like was an idiot when i told him I cut up my own deer. Why do all that work when someone can do it for you for $80? For me I enjoy it and look at it as completing the hunting loop. I will still use a processor if time and conditions wont allow me to cut it up, but otherwise I enjoy it.

I would have no problem doing my own if I was set up properly ,for me right now ,it would be more of a pain in the butt. In the future,I would like to have a set up ready to go so I don't spend twice as much time getting ready and cleaning up then it takes to do the job.