Unexpected/stay

Dom

This a great Question and some may learn from this.How many people/hunters go out hunting/hiking and only bring enough supply to last only a few hours?So you have been hunting/hiking and lost your way you have no compass and just the clothes you went out with what do or would you do if you had an unexpected stay in the wood's?

I never leave without my compass..a real one ..not the app on a phone..ever..

Especially a new area..I always take a home base reading before I set out..

Learned my lesson years ago

Most new people coming into the outdoors has no idea what a compass is or how to use one.

I've never brought anything other than my supplies needed for the hunt. If I see a compass anywhere other than the Adirondacks, I laugh.

By all means bring whatever makes you feel confident, but going blindly into a place that you could potentially get lost is just plain dumb. With all the satellite imagery these days and 9 months between deer season to scout/prepare, there really shouldn't be much need to go into survival mode. I spend many cold winter nights hunting predators from dusk til dawn, it really isn't that bad.

I do however believe that every outdoors person should have good first-aid knowledge!

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I do go with a pack pack with a day's worth of stuff. I don't go far at all but I have fallen a couple times so I thought I should have stuff. I should say there is not one thing in my back pack that will help me get up if I was to fall again :-/

Edited by Paula

Anyone stupid enough to go into the vast wilderness without the proper equipment... most likely will not have the smarts to survive if they get lost. I've been hunting the ADK's for 30 years and consider myself a pretty good woodman and survivalist... but I would never enter those woods without at least a compass and something to make a fire... and if you don't know how to properly use either of those two things... they will be useless to you anyway... in which case knowing a good prayer is helpful to make good with God before you die.

• Like 1

On the NW edge of the 6 million acre Adirondack park, where I hunt several times per season, I always carry 2 compasses (one in jacket pocket, one in pack), waterproof matches, folding limb saw (works great for splitting deer pelvis bone and to thoroughly clean the cavity), extra ammo, sharp hunting knife, Leatherman tool, two small flashlights, bio-degradable orange ribbon, quart canteen of water, about 20 feet of twine, and a space blanket. All that stuff, plus a handful of candy bars, fits easy in a fanny pack. Aside from the blanket and matches, almost all the stuff I carry is used for the hunt anyhow. I probably should try the matches as they must be close to 20 years old.

I have yet to spend a night lost in the woods, but I think I could survive a week in there, relatively easily, if I had to. I have used the second compass several times when I did not believe the first one in some un-familiar territory (following tracks for miles has put me in some of that). It always turned out to be right. I wouldn't bet my life on the cellphone I also carry these days, even though reception is pretty good in that area. It definitely comes in handy on the private land on the edge of the park, to get an ATV close for a carcass recovery.

If I had no compass or matches and had to stay one night in the woods, I would build a shelter from materials at hand in an area protected from wind, using as little energy as possible. The next day I would find some water. If I had to stay more than a couple nights, I would worry about food. The "reserves" I carry would get me at least that far. The "rules of threes" come in handy in any survival situation. A human can survive 3 seconds without thinking, 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter/clothing in a hostile (cold/wet) environment, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.

Edited by wolc123

A friend of mine spent a night in freezing rain and snow under a rowboat in the bush of Northern Ontario. He even wrote goodbye notes to his kids, he really thought he'd freeze to death. Since then I carry a little pack with matches, space blanket, etc when I've gone up there but I don't carry it around here. I probably should

Getting lost?? Think it's impossible??? Think again. I got myself twisted round on my hill in a very dense fog where I couldn't see far enough to recognize even very familiar landscape features. It turned out I was heading down the wrong valley. I didn't realize it until I got below the fog-bank and began to see things that I could then recognize as not the way I really intended to go. That was a hunt in an area that I have lived at since I was 11 years old.

Also short-term survival gear is a good thing to have with you just in case you become incapacitated in some unexpected way. It's not always about getting lost.

• Like 3