So I said never have and never will.....

growalot

But today I did...finished cleaning th 8pt 's head for a euro mount...just need to buy whitener....I skinned and quartered him yesterday and thought while doing so. I shot you out of  Rivers blind..I mentioned in another post I named the new blind  Rivers blind for our new grandson...Then I thought......I shot you the year River was born...hhmmmm Wouldn't it be nice to make a euro mount for his room when he's a bit older...I always wondered how hard it would be to skin a deer head,,,Dang the whole thing start to finish was easier than sawing those dang racks off IMO... Not sure I did it right but it's clean as a whistle...I think I may do one for each buck I take from that stand over the years until he's old enough to hunt it himself....Then I can teach him how to do his own...

• Like 11

How did you get it cleaned up after you skinned it and how long did it take? I posted a photo of one in the taxidermy section that I used a power washer on last week. That worked pretty good, taking about 1/2 hour, after taking about 10 minutes to skin with a sharp knife. My wife wasn't crazy about one a friend did for me a few years ago, but it has grown on her a bit and she tolerates it now. My daughters were a little scared of it for a while but they also got over it ok. Hopefully it wont scare your grandkid.

• Like 1

We winterized the out side water so no power wash.....I simmered in dawn with Olay. I used thermostats,a small buck knife,needle nose pliers,small wire brush,stiff tooth brush,wooden scewers and air compressor....The wooden scewers were the best for getting into all those little holes....Oh wire coat hanger and a screw driver to "stir" the brains up...I started it Sunday afternoon...I had it finished yesterday morning....I cut all muscle ..lower jaw..and eyeballs out using the small buck knife.

Unless I get a "REALLY" big one, it's euro mounts for me, from now on.

Nice job on your first euro mount grow! I bet River will love to have it in his room!

That is my wife's theory. I have one deer mount that is 161" I don't think I will ever shoot a buck in NY that big again, but my 2nd smallest is 133" so My wife told me in order to get another one mounted I need to beat my 2nd smallest. Well this year I got 135" so skin mount it is. All my smaller bucks are euro mounts it is cheaper and easier for me to convince my wife to hang them in the house.

I was really surprised how quick it blew the brains out, but it took a little longer than expected to clean up the gums and the hide around the base of the antlers. I am eager to try it again. Hopefully another candidate will show up during late ML season. I did move the pressure washer down to the basement so it would not freeze up and I could winterize the outside of the house. It would be no problem getting it back up and running a hose thru the basement window from the hot water faucet down there. One things for sure, I will never boil one on the stove or even an outside gas burner again. Did you get any funny looks or comments doing it at a public car wash?