This year's safety record

Doc

So what is the safety record looking like so far? I have not heard of any gun fatalities or injuries so far this season. Are we in for a record year in terms of safe gun handling and hunting use? I know its early yet, but usually by this time of the season there are one or two newspaper headlines of hunters being shot.

I'm thinking less hunters = less shots = less incidences. Also I think hunters using rifles are less likely to spray and pray. But whatever the reason, hoping this will be the safest season on record. And also hoping the trend continues.

• Like 4

We have seen amazing improvements in hunting accident rates in recent years. We have credited the hunter safety programs finally kicking in, but I am really wondering if perhaps there just aren't as many hunters, and the actual discharges of weapons has significantly reduced all the crazy accident rates of the past. 

We have seen amazing improvements in hunting accident rates in recent years. We have credited the hunter safety programs finally kicking in, but I am really wondering if perhaps there just aren't as many hunters, and the actual discharges of weapons has significantly reduced all the crazy accident rates of the past.

Yeah... the days of the deer drives have dwindled as well. Probably less shots at running deer. More Blaze orange. Less hunters. Scoped rifles. More private land with limited hunters. Self imposed antler restrictions. Many factors have changed since I started hunting that would tend to curb accidental shootings.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2

That's not the case in my area....a lot of my tracking jobs were hail Mary's unfortunately.

That is a shame. I don't like to hear about those shots. We had a close call on our property 2 years ago with my wife and another hunter. He was shooting at a running deer on the top of our hill (trespassing) shooting over the hill and the slugs from his shotgun going thru the tree tops where my wife was sitting. In the last 48 years my father has hunted our property this was the only instance but 1 is still too many.

Edited by chas0218

The rifle law has been in effect for three years now in our county. I was noticing that so far this year I have not heard even one of those rapid-fire 5-shot rapid fire strings of shots, that was always heard before. I think all these new deer rifles are being topped with scopes with a lot of carefully executed first shots being used. When people were saying that rifles would improve safety, I was very skeptical. But I am starting to become a believer.

The rifle law has been in effect for three years now in our county. I was noticing that so far this year I have not heard even one of those rapid-fire 5-shot rapid fire strings of shots, that was always heard before. I think all these new deer rifles are being topped with scopes with a lot of carefully executed first shots being used. When people were saying that rifles would improve safety, I was very skeptical. But I am starting to become a believer.

i,think most have bolt actions, which is essentially a single shot weapon so you're more careful making that one shot count
  • Like 2

I hunt a zone that rifles are legal. First few days I heard lots of 3,4,5 volleys I'll hear the same thing during ML season as well. I bet on the deer every time when I hear them. Only going to guess but thinking a lot of accidental shootings occur during drives , people trespassing or simply put : people who are too stupid with no common sense that shouldn't own a firearm. When purchasing a firearm the buyer should have to pass a common sense test before the backround check. I like to think that nobody is tresspassing where I hunt but that's an assumption that could get one into trouble. Be safe out there people

I hunt a zone that rifles are legal. First few days I heard lots of 3,4,5 volleys I'll hear the same thing during ML season as well. I bet on the deer every time when I hear them. Only going to guess but thinking a lot of accidental shootings occur during drives , people trespassing or simply put : people who are too stupid with no common sense that shouldn't own a firearm. When purchasing a firearm the buyer should have to pass a common sense test before the backround check. I like to think that nobody is tresspassing where I hunt but that's an assumption that could get one into trouble. Be safe out there people

A restriction on who may purchase gun, now you're starting to sound like me. After posing such a thought you better tear up your NRA membership cause thoughts like yours will get you thrown out lol.

Actually the only reason anyone should get shot in the woods is if they are hunting with attire that can't be seen by other hunters. I can see someone shooting at a deer not knowing someone is sitting against a tree 100 yards away in the same path. All the rest that has been mentioned may be reasons why hunters get shot, but all can be avoided simply by hunters doing what they were suppose to have learned in their hunters safety course. the real reason shootings occur is because a hunter has made killing a deer more important than safety.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 3

I love that last sentence. That puts it all in  real perspective.

Yeah me too, I don't think anyone in their right mind would shoot at a deer knowing there was someone down range behind it. If they do obviously they shouldn't own a gun.

I could have the next state record in front of me, I wouldn't take the shot knowing there was someone the other side of that deer. And yes I am a TROPHY hunter and meat hunter! I know many of you feel a person can't be both.

I know I am going to get flamed for this but I think I'm a good enough hunter to do both (hunt trophy deer and meat).

Edited by chas0218