How did your Broadhead perform 2015

Billdogge

I ddiiiiidddddd rrreeeaaaaddddd iiitttt slllooooowwwwwwwwlllllllyyyyyy.

Point missed.

So did you see the part in the opening post that said "Didn't have a Chance to test mine but how did your broadhead of choice work for you?"

That pretty much answers your post of "How did yours work Billdogge?"

I can walk you through this; as long as it takes I'm here for you ....rob.  It's the Holiday Season and I'm in the giving mood.

• Like 3

What Doc said,...can't believe I'm agreeing with him! Kidding!!! The effectiveness of a BH probably only makes up 5-10% of the bow hunting big picture!

I used G5 Montec fixed blade BHs for years, successfully. Super durable, easily re-sharpened, dependable performance.. but I did have a few decent hits that produced minimal blood trails. Did eventually find the deer using grid or circular searches.

On a whim, switched to a mechanical BH 3 years ago, NAP Spitfire. Most hits had great blood trails. Some not as much as I'd expected. Of course. depending on the shot placement. Success rate..went 4/4 this year. Disclaimer - Not a big fan of replacing blades, so each kill was with a new BH.

Are fixed blade BHs more effective than mechanical BHs? Is one model better than another mfger's model? BHs are a personal preference choice, like almost all your other archery tackle. If it's working, it's the best! Keep using it!! If it's not, is it really the BH? Sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news!  :rolleyes:

Edited by nyslowhand

It is truly all about shot placement, put the broadhead through the lower third of both lungs and that deer is down in seconds spraying a red trail as they go. I tried Spitfires and when placed properly they were great, but on a straight down shot it bounced off. I tuned my bow to shoot fixed Muzzy and can't be happier, after 25yrs of shooting Thunderheads I switched to a head that's very similar but I bought much cheaper. 

• Like 1

I got a new bow this year and decided to try a different broadhead. I read alot of reviews and I went with NAP killzones.i had always shot NAP Thunderheads and they always worked great. I ended up shooting a little guy at 15 yards, arrow clipped a twig a few yards before him and it hit his spine. The broadhead opened completely and completely passed through the spine. It severed the spine, no bent blades, tip still sharp. So I will b getting more next year, 100 grain 2 blade.

This is what I use too. I love the Kill Zones. I went to get more after I shot my doe and Dicks was sold out of them. I love the NAP's. They don't come apart like the rage in the quiver or when nocked and they open flawlessly. The Buck and Doe I got this bow season didn't much care for them. I need to order some more for next year. I am going to use them with the crossbow I got for Christmas as well.....

I shot a small, ahem...very small, button buck with a rage 2 blade 100 gr head last month. Looked like a 2 lung shot but turned out to be liver and edge of gut. Just missed near lung. Shot was very slightly quartering towards. 13 yards.

Deer went about 80 yards. But without much of a blood trail. Usually I've seen better blood with this broad head. To me this just goes to show that every hit is different. You just never know what you will get with a blood trail until you take up the track. But with any head, if you make a good enough shot, you should be fine.

these are some wise words.  every experienced enough bowhunter should figure out.

• Like 1

Mine (Slick Tricks 100gr Magnums) worked great but I've made a change regardless.

I killed a doe and a buck with them this fall, the doe was uneventful and the head performed perfectly.

The buck I killed was about 17 yards and although I had an entrance (duh) and exit the exit only consisted of a poke through, the broadhead and about 6" of shaft stayed in the Bucks chest.

I center punched the heart and I would have expected the arrow to go all the way through.

Not too big a deal as the results were good but left me wondering.........so, after a number of years of use and probably 10 deer kills I decided to look a little deeper.

After reading more about the Slick Trick Viper Tricks I ordered two packages. They are supposed to penetrate better than the standard or magnum ST heads. We'll see...............

Law

Be sure to BH tune.  I had a hard time with 2 packages of viper tricks.  They didn't spin or fly true.  I chased my tail for a while until I learned it was the head.  This was 2 years ago.  The standards flew great by contrast.  It could have just been a bad batch.

My rage hypos did well as usual.  I was not thrilled with the penetration of the Strickland helix from either of my recurves.  They both did the job, but no pass through.  I will be looking at these in the off season as I really hope to hunt all of archery next year with the stick bow.

Horrible, 3 blade rage ,never again. This big boy is thankful though. I haven't told anyone except for my dad who helped me track the 200 yard blood trail til it dried up. I hit him at 7:30 in the first days of archery,walked straight lines for hundreds of yards the rest of the day from the last blood spot ,we ended up getting pics of him on the trail camera a few weeks later which really set me at ease. It must have been a solid shoulder ball hit because it only entered the depth of the broadhead. Sick to my stomach for weeks until we saw him again perfectly fine.

my neghbor hit one of our big boys right in the shoulder this year with a slick trick, tracked for hours. arrow got about 6" penetration. long story short, no dead buck found. He was on trail camera consistently again within a couple days, until the other neighbor took him opening week of gun. He had a little limp but was chasing doe perfectly fine... meat was no good, gangrene got to him.. 

shoulders are a pain in the @$$.. !!

Heres a pic of him from the back porch lol

post-5238-0-91453100-1450718845_thumb.jp

i use rage hypodermics, 100 gr... no problems yet. this year I shot a doe in the spine somehow this october( a 1st for me),... it took alot but i removed the broad head, still whole, still sharp as can be, both the tip and blades... cleaned it up n spun it on another shaft and smoked my buck this november 7th with it as well. liver hit the buck, big entry, big exit holes, the broad head did some trauma

Pic of the trauma from my buck 

post-5238-0-40583000-1450719276_thumb.jp

post-5238-0-27806800-1450719303_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Only pic I have from this year but it did what it was supposed to do. Ultimate steel Rocket 75gr. 1" cutting diameter fixed, you can see the hole behind the lungs exited behind opposite shoulder. He piled 80 yards from where he was shot and within 10 seconds. I watched him fall pretty it was cool watching him skid to a pile.

DSC_0643_zpsyfi5jbcl.jpg

Here is a photo of what they did 3 years ago. Entrance in front of left rear hip:

102_1228.jpg

Exit behind right front shoulder:

102_1227.jpg

• Like 2

Law

Be sure to BH tune.  I had a hard time with 2 packages of viper tricks.  They didn't spin or fly true.  I chased my tail for a while until I learned it was the head.  This was 2 years ago.  The standards flew great by contrast.  It could have just been a bad batch.

10-4...........I'm hoping to get into them this winter.  I did empty one pack, put them together and spin test them a couple weeks ago, they did spin true.

Any leftover dull blades you'd like to mail west?  :)

I hate trashing new steel...............................

Since the late '80's I used cut on contact fixed blades , starting with Mangus swedged two blades, (great bone cutting heads) then Mangus Stingers with bleeders .

This year I went to the dark side and tried Rage hypos.

Killed this guy, easy short track . Juries still out though, to small a sample size.

post-253-0-55590400-1450747686_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302

Here is the result of a heavy arrow/broadhead combination. It's a 125gr Thunderhead screwed into a 50gr brass insert glued to a 32" Axis arrow. Snapped the bone like angel hair pasta.

Perfect results with a less then perfect shot. That's what I like about heavy arrows and fixed heads.

attachicon.gifIMG_0538.jpg

Come on now thats not heavy!!  I am shooting a 175grn tigershark head with a 100 grn brass insert on 32" Gold Tip trads.  LOL  it like throwing a telephone pole down range!!  It sure does quite the bow down though!!

I will always go heavier with my arrows, always have had better penetration with weight than speed!

They work though,

post-373-0-54816200-1450799430_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-89858200-1450799455_thumb.jpg

The Broadhead sliced the rib clean off!  Two blade fixed head and was still shaving sharp when I took it out of the deer.

post-373-0-42389800-1450799472_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

10-4...........I'm hoping to get into them this winter.  I did empty one pack, put them together and spin test them a couple weeks ago, they did spin true.

Any leftover dull blades you'd like to mail west?  :)

I hate trashing new steel...............................

I will look around Law.  If I have any, you are welcome to them.

Come on now thats not heavy!!  I am shooting a 175grn tigershark head with a 100 grn brass insert on 32" Gold Tip trads.  LOL  it like throwing a telephone pole down range!!  It sure does quite the bow down though!!

I will always go heavier with my arrows, always have had better penetration with weight than speed!

They work though,

attachicon.gif20151025_213935_resized.jpg

attachicon.gif20151027_183103_resized.jpg

The Broadhead sliced the rib clean off!  Two blade fixed head and was still shaving sharp when I took it out of the deer.

attachicon.gif20151025_201515_resized.jpg

WOW that is heavy.

Quiet? yours must be like putting on a silencer!!