Loaded Firearms/automobiles

Dom

Short arms/pistols verses long guns/rifle/shotguns.I have a permit that allows me to conceal carry my pistol that at all times is loaded so why should I not be able to have a loaded long gun in my automobile.This is one law that I do not understand.Other than law enforcement I think Farmers should be exsemnt from this law.Also how is it safer to have a loaded handgun verses long gun in transport?

I am convinced that they write laws without ever researching similar laws. Two similar laws written at different times by different people and perhaps even by different legislatures. One hand never knows what the other is doing.

• Like 1

I'd assume that a loaded handgun is less prone to accidentally discharge and cause damage or death.

I would imagine the purpose of allowing a pistol permit holder to carry loaded in a vehicle is for protection. I can hardly see a situation where someone with a carry permit would opt to go for their long gun vs their handgun in an emergency situation for protection.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 2

It's the law for the same reason why I leave my chair right now and within 20 minutes have legal possession of a brand new semi-automatic shotgun, but there is no way in NY state I can legally own a slingshot with a wrist-brace: Because there is not much logic in new york laws.

I'm surprised some are offering ideas above about why new york may have made it this way. If NY SAFE didn't show you NY makes silly gun laws (if nothing else, the 7 round limit in a 10 round mag proves it), nothing will. Originally SAFE didn't even exclude law enforcement from the round limit.

I believe the long gun law is an environmental conservation law ,and was written to help with charges related to road hunting .

Similar to the fact that you can only have 3 shells in your shotgun hunting water fowl , but more in it behind the bedroom door .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

so I'll bite.

Why do you want a loaded long gun? traditionally my understanding is this law helps to enforce and prevent spotlighters and road shooters. If your bolt action rifle or even your turkey gun serve as your defense then you're doing it wrong.

I don't want to have a loaded rifle/shotgun while driving.This was just a question so myself could better understand what is the difference.Of course most side arms are for close range but some of the modern Pistols can shoot as far as most long guns within the hands of a marksmen 

Gotcha. Like others said I think it's more of a conservation law then anything anti-gun.

Yea I'm not buying the poaching line for defences on this one.If someone was to be hunting from an automobile and they do why in the heck would they be shooting long distances just a strange law to myself.

Yea I'm not buying the poaching line for defences on this one.If someone was to be hunting from an automobile and they do why in the heck would they be shooting long distances just a strange law to myself.

I don't understand your confusion. Drive down any country road and eventually you'll come upon field upon field where all the red neck needs to do is pull over, rest the rifle on the door window and take a 200 to 300 yard shot to poach a deer. Not many guys doing that with 9mm glocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was in a quaint local "Mayberry RFD" court (the "judge" treats it as a social gathering) on a traffic ticket when a "loaded firearm in a vehicle" case was brought forth. The Judge specified that this particular charge was a misdemeanor, not a violation.

Can a game law violation be a misdemeanor?

• Like 1

Belo I am not confused.I drive past many fields everyday and have for all my life why in the Hell would someone want to do this 2/300 yard shot with no recovering of the target unless they are just a bunch of assholes.I am a Redneck I chew tobacco drink beer work hard for a living 

I took my hunter safety course back when Christ was a carpenter, however I distinctly remember my instructor speaking of the " loaded long gun in a vehicle"  regulation as a safety issue...And, indeed, I have heard of a number of instances over the years when some dimwit was maneuvering a loaded shotgun or rifle in a vehicle and ended up shooting a hole in the floor, the roof or perhaps his foot.

Loaded handguns ?  One prime  purpose of a handgun is self defense, and it's much harder to defend oneself with an empty pistol than a loaded one, whether you are inside or outside of a motor vehicle.

• Like 3

Belo I am not confused.I drive past many fields everyday and have for all my life why in the Hell would someone want to do this 2/300 yard shot with no recovering of the target unless they are just a bunch of assholes.I am a Redneck I chew tobacco drink beer work hard for a living

The world is full of assholes my friend. Watch some of the game warden shows on tv. They get guys shooting the robo deer all the time.

and this is what the NYS Penal Law considers a "loaded firearm".....

15. "Loaded firearm" means any firearm loaded with ammunition or any
firearm which is possessed by one who, at the same time, possesses a
quantity of ammunition which may be used to discharge such firearm".......

and I was told first hand by an ECO, that he has written under the NYS Penal Law instead of the ECL in cases when he finds some with a long gun on the front seat and ammo right next to it...not always, but he can.

Edited by jjb4900

I was in a quaint local "Mayberry RFD" court (the "judge" treats it as a social gathering) on a traffic ticket when a "loaded firearm in a vehicle" case was brought forth. The Judge specified that this particular charge was a misdemeanor, not a violation.

Can a game law violation be a misdemeanor?

I know of someone that was charged with this offense. The charge was later reduced to a violation by the judge.

I know of someone that was charged with this offense. The charge was later reduced to a violation by the judge.

Same here. I take my mag or shells out and place in my fanny pack. My understanding is that is a legal situation. But having them readily accessible like in the ash tray wouldn't be.