Arrows

Dom

While we debate on other subjects who still shoots aluminum arrows?I still shoot the Easton #2117 with the muzzy broad heads.Out of date, and sure the carbon fiber are lighter and less noise but have been known to shred like toothpicks.

I switched from Aluminun arrows years ago and never looked back . The only time I ever had a carbon come close to shredding was when I had a misfire in the basement and the arrow went into the cement block wall . 

I have some aluminum arrows  that I never shot but the vanes have deteriorated over the years .........

I heard of someone shooting a carbon arrow this fall and it shredded on release and ended up shredding the guys hand in the process. He ended up with torn tendons/muscles and some leftover carbon in his hand.

Hearing about that made me check my carbon arrows for even the tiniest cracks. I think his problem must have been an arrow not stiff enough for his draw-weight. Just guessing here.

The idea of an arrow disintegrating on release is a scary thought, because it has nowhere else to go but your hand.

I still like carbon arrows though.

The only way a carbon arrow will blow up on release is if its already severely damaged. If they were dangerous 95% of hunters wouldn't be using them. Always bend check your arrows, especially if you hit something other than your target...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I shoot aluminum arrows but I think this past season was my last year in doing so. I need to do some research and find out what size carbons I should be shooting. I trashed most of my aluminums on my 8pt this year during the unfortunate series of events.

How does one bend check aluminium Arrows?with alum I can remove  tip and blow air through arrow for balance/bent I have an attachment that I made for a drill.I agree with most the carbon is the way to go but I am in tune with alum/also have a return value per lbs

I still have a few to go through before I get into any other kinds of arrows. I still abide by the old saying, "if it's not broken, don't change it". I found out that aluminum arrows do kill deer, and probably just as dead as any other kind of shaft.

Actually I adopted a new attitude toward trying to keep up with all the latest technology. I chased technology for years and have walls full of bows and drawers full of gadgets, trinkets, and go-fasters, to show for it .... lol. But I reached a point where enough was enough. So now I will use my aluminums until I deplete my stock. And my guess is that that will never happen in my lifetime.

post-11-0-00000600-1454404911_thumb.jpg

I switched a long time ago.  carbon arrows of today aren't the ones of old.  shoot the right spine.  then like people have said flex them a little to find cracks.  most people I know shoot them into dirt, trees, hard surfaces, through deer, deflected off things, etc and don't ever check them.  I mean they're not made to be invincible.  similar reason I don't like arrow wraps.  can't see a crack at the nock end.  I got sick of bent aluminum arrows so I switched.  indoor spots sure I shoot aluminum.

I shoot aluminum arrows but I think this past season was my last year in doing so. I need to do some research and find out what size carbons I should be shooting. I trashed most of my aluminums on my 8pt this year during the unfortunate series of events.

draw length (arrow length), draw weight, point weight, IBO speed, release or fingers, and brace height are what you really need to get a good idea.  I attached Easton's chart.  it's never steered me wrong.

post-2834-0-50531100-1454435355_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Regarding weight, not all Carbon arrows are super light. I prefer a heavy arrow and my carbon arrows match if not exceed the weight of my aluminum I used to shoot.

I use to put weed- eater line inside the shafts of my aluminum arrows back in the day to bring up the weight. Worked like a charm.

I switched and my practice arrows are not my hunting arrows...but the hunting ones are checked just like the practice ones...where I find the biggest problem area is the knock and insert ends...they will hair line crack,as it were, then I will not shoot them again...I have several potted, tall plant stakes in the house.