Speeders beware

ants

years ago when the 400 was only 55 mph I got clocked at 94 mp $435 ticket plus 8pts on.the license plus I had to pay the state $200 each year for 3yrs to keep my license

Im wondering if the $600 is just for one ticket. Will I get another $600 tab for the second ticket……….?????

I'll let ya know. It was a sheriff and not a local town cop, so I am hoping he will be busy elsewhere on the day.

I hate to break it to you guys but since NYS police stopped coming to court they have a DA that trys to plead down your ticket they dont call it a trial date like they used to. If you and the DA cannot make a deal then the issuing officer has to come and state his claim at a different date and time this would be your trial.  if you look at your ticket they usually come with a supporting deposition from the officer this gives the DA some idea what the officer is claiming as a reason for the citation in the first place. so to answer your question (no the officer does not have to be present in court and him not being there does not mean they throw out your ticket)

• Like 2

years ago when the 400 was only 55 mph I got clocked at 94 mp $435 ticket plus 8pts on.the license plus I had to pay the state $200 each year for 3yrs to keep my license

Rte 400 and 219 you do NOT want to speed on. They love those Canucks on the 219 going to Ellicottville.  I got my last ticket (1991) when the trooper hit me with radar from the Genesee rd overpass on the 219 as you come down the hill coming back towards Buffalo

• Like 1

Im wondering if the $600 is just for one ticket. Will I get another $600 tab for the second ticket……….?????

You could I believe it was something like every ticket after a certain point you got another one....I paid 300 3 times on it all around same time

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I just got a ticket recently. Going up before the judge to try n get the penalties and fines reduced. Always worth a shot. And if the issuing officer does not show up, there is no penalty at all.

Is there truth to this ? I've heard that before . I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since 1991 and that one "got taken care of " for me.

The officer does not have to show for the initial hearing. Only if you plead not guilty at that hearing and it goes for trial in front of the judge. If he doesn't show then, it is dismissed.

I hate to break it to you guys but since NYS police stopped coming to court they have a DA that trys to plead down your ticket they dont call it a trial date like they used to. If you and the DA cannot make a deal then the issuing officer has to come and state his claim at a different date and time this would be your trial.  if you look at your ticket they usually come with a supporting deposition from the officer this gives the DA some idea what the officer is claiming as a reason for the citation in the first place. so to answer your question (no the officer does not have to be present in court and him not being there does not mean they throw out your ticket)

I'll be happy with a deal. First time for me, so I am just curious to see how things work.

What a bunch of hoodlums you guys are. 

It's been a while since I've been pinched.........skated on a couple trooper stops over the past 20 years but my "connection" has since retired.  I have a next door neighbor who is an Amherst Policeman and good (no, GREAT) guy.

I hate speeding, running red lights etc.  It's the small town speed reductions that darn near get me every time.  The two speeding stop I've got out of were in Strykersville on 78 and Millgrove as I was hauling azz down Genesee Street.

I'm jinxed now............................. :)

I just got a ticket recently. Going up before the judge to try n get the penalties and fines reduced. Always worth a shot. And if the issuing officer does not show up, there is no penalty at all.

Where did you get that from? You don't even have to show up if you plead guilty. You can mail them a check or money order.

I haven't been pulled over in years. I am no longer in a hurry for anything.

I have told a cop that I had diarrhea years ago, he turned red and told me to go!

I would have made you wait….and wait…and wait….       LOL!!!!!

• Like 1

My 18 year old son got two speeding tickets, 3 months apart. (He's a good kid, but a total knuckle head at times). First fine was $273, second was $283. Just got a letter from DMV stating that if he didn't pay the state an additional $600, his license is suspended. My kid is in college and takes home maybe $150 a week from his part time job, so guess who wrote the checks???? He should be squared up with me in like 10 years….

Don't speed..

Time to do a Defensive Driver Class ..... it reduces points still right ?

I've only had one speeding ticket handed to me ,the others stops for speeding were reduced on the spot to something like not abiding to a traffic device. I was told it was because the city gets the money as long as it isn't for speeding ,speeding ticket money goes to the state.

Only in NY would getting a ticket in another country effect your NY drivers license.

If you are convicted of a traffic violation in another state or country, points are not added to your New York State driving record, unless the violation occurred in Ontario or Quebec.

New York State has a reciprocal agreement with Quebec and Ontario. Traffic violation convictions that occur in these provinces are recorded on your New York State driver record, and the convictions have the same effect and carry the same points as convictions that occur in New York State. This can affect your driver violation point total and Driver Responsibility Assessment.

The driver responsibility assessment just seems like a big money grab. After your fines and surcharges are paid the state says... Now Give us another $600 or we will suspend your license??? Either a driver deserves to be suspended or he/she doesn't.

Edited by ants
  • Like 1

I've only had one speeding ticket handed to me ,the others stops for speeding were reduced on the spot to something like not abiding to a traffic device. I was told it was because the city gets the money as long as it isn't for speeding ,speeding ticket money goes to the state.

Same occurrence for me in Village of Arcade several years ago. Reduced to what you received. 

If they don't show it gets dropped , but most likely court will be when he's off so,he'll get overtime pay to show up.....

Im a fan of the app Waze, gps app,that fellow users drop pins for , accidents , objects in the road and cops sitting along the road . You can see the officer on your screen and get a voice prompt 1/2 to 1 mile or so before that spot.

Not fool proof for sure, not good for officers driving as opposed to parked. But I just drove from Roch to Buff and back and knew where every Tropper was parked well before.....

But I try to keep, it under 80 on The thruway anyway .

• Like 1

If they don't show it gets dropped , but most likely court will be when he's off so,he'll get overtime pay to show up.....

Im a fan of the app Waze, gps app,that fellow users drop pins for , accidents , objects in the road and cops sitting along the road . You can see the officer on your screen and get a voice prompt 1/2 to 1 mile or so before that spot.

Not fool proof for sure, not good for officers driving as opposed to parked. But I just drove from Roch to Buff and back and knew where every Tropper was parked well before.....

But I try to keep, it under 80 on The thruway anyway .

Only if court is scheduled while the cop is off duty. If court is set during the cops working hours, then it just part of his work day. And its up to the judge to drop it, if the officer doesn't show. The judge can reschedule, drop it or reduce it.

• Like 1

Yes I undertstand that . Around here it seems to be always dropped . It's hard to walk back a ticket today, so one way for those with conentions is for the officer to be asked not to show .

I got one ticket since 1981, stopped for speeding , wrote me for no seatbelt , I wrote the court a letter, court changed it to $15 parking ticket . Both my kids have been stopped a couple times , failure to dim , taillight a out, and the oldest rear ended a car on the expressway. No damage to,other car, Trooper walked down the road picked up my kids lic. Plate ( in the pouring rain) gave it back to,her and sent her on her way.

How you act and what you say at the stop is the biggest factor on many stops.

I've seen many cops ingor things many would not believe.

Which brings up another point, keep,your mouth shut. I can't tell you how many mva's I've been to where people,just talk and say incriminating things . I just tell them not to say that when the cops show up......

• Like 1