My lab got bit by pit bull

Al Bundy

My poor lab. She is very gentle and submissive to other dogs.  Not a mean bone in her body. Wife and her were walking by fenced in yard with pit bull behind.  The pit bull squoze under the fence and charged after my lab.  There was literally like 2 inches of gap (if that even) between bottom of fence and the ground. that damn pit bull wanted out and it got out. It pushed the fence outward and upward as it slid out. This is a good solid fence 6+ feet high.  The pit bull sunk one tooth into my lab is all. It was not at all bad. It could have ended much much worse. Vet didn't even stich her up as it was not really needed. Owner covered the small vet bill. Now though my poor lab barks at other dogs and whenever we have cause to go by the house, she pulls to go the other side of the road. She has put her paws in to the ground and refused to go by also. Its really kind of sad to see her this way. I am hoping this behavior will pass. Come on duck season..

post-4186-0-11826800-1465328273_thumb.jp

That's really to bad , but as you said could have been way worse God forbid if it had latched on to your lab good or your wife . Wife should carry Pepper spray or CC I had my wife always conceal carry when walking the dog because our golden was a lover not a fighter. Glad it worked out ok.

• Like 1

Nice to see the owner pay the bill too , best to,your dog .

Pepper spray is decent, some drawbacks but better then nothing.

My beagle was attacked by an off leash pit bull looking type dog a few years back on the hojack trail, I broke my walking stick over its snout which backed it up a bit. Owner stayed way off not even trying,to call dog off.

Then my .38 came out as we stood in some sort of Mexican stand off and I started to take up slack in the trigger , oddly enough the owner then saw a need to call his dog.....

Which was good as I really did not want to fire, but I stopped it as it charged by yelling stomping my foot and raising the stick in the air, then it attacked and I broke the stick over it,a third charge I would have had to fire .

One thing I'm concerned with is there are a couple women in our neighborhood who,walk very large powerful dogs , and they have no control over them. I've watched the dogs go after something and drag the women down the road as if they were waterskiing .

Edited by Larry302

My dog was attacked by a pitbull when he was a puppy.  The pit had him by the muzzle and was shaking him like a doll.  Luckily there was somebody near who pounced on them.  But the owner of the dog told me that her dog was just "playing". He had several open wounds but the vet said since it was on the snout they couldnt stitch it.  It took some time to get my dog comfortable again around other dogs, but I was careful about who he played with.  Now he is fine.  

Happy your dog is ok.  Im sure he will get over it.  Best of luck

Edited by diplomat019

Logged on to huntingNY and a 24Hr Campfire thread broke out.

You should post this over there.....they love pitbull's are the demon seed threads. LOL

I have a rescue pit. Good dog.

But frankly the minature schnauzer I grew up with was a total POS that would bite anyone, even us kids. It liked my mother.....

I blame the owners not the breed.

• Like 4

I'd have that pit destroyed. Screw that guy. If he can't keep a dangerous dog in line he shouldn't have it. Put that attack dog down. Also get well soon to your lab

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any dog can be dangerous,how can anyone label a dog breed as "dangerous"??? Ive seen people bitten more by small breeds than any other dogs,I know of dozens and dozens of pit bull owners and not one has had a problem,but I know 3 people that have had problems and they own labs,shitzu and a weiner dog.

Any dog can be dangerous,how can anyone label a dog breed as "dangerous"??? Ive seen people bitten more by small breeds than any other dogs,I know of dozens and dozens of pit bull owners and not one has had a problem,but I know 3 people that have had problems and they own labs,shitzu and a weiner dog.

Agreed 100%. The unfortunate difference, is that a Pit has a lot more ass than most other dogs. When a Pit does bite, it's going to do more damage than a shitzu.

Again though, I love them. I think I'm finally ready to get another one. I've been looking at rescue Pits lately. Can't wait.

Edited by Skillet
  • Like 3

Its a bad breed plain and simple, the bad out weighs the good. My labs wouldn't hurt a soul. Glad yours is ok and lucky it wasn't worse.

Edited for content. Nevermind, I'm not taking that bait.

Edited by Skillet

Its a bad breed plain and simple, the bad out weighs the good. My labs wouldn't hurt a soul. Glad yours is ok and lucky it wasn't worse.

No it isnt,what you are doing is just what anti gun people do against us.They blame good decent law biding citizens because of the actions of a few.How many millions of pit bull are out there and how many attacks do you here or see?

Edited by MACHINIST
  • Like 2

Agreed 100%. The unfortunate difference, is that a Pit has a lot more ass than most other dogs. When a Pit does bite, it's going to do more damage than a shitzu.

Again though, I love them. I think I'm finally ready to get another one. I've been looking at rescue Pits lately. Can't wait.

I agree 100%,I was stating that any and all dogs can bite,my wife's little toy rat terrier that died a year ago was a real POS when he wanted to be,but could also be the nicest dog too

• Like 1

Personally I'm not a pit fan but probably naive as tv and newspapers tote them as being the only evil dog out there. Wife ( a vet ) stands up for them Says Shepards , Sharpai , Rottweilers are all more less trust worthy. Media does indeed embellish Pitbulls as evil for sure but like mentioned , it's the owners fault.

Our golden retriever is the mellowest of all creatures. When she was less than a year old I was walking her down one of our village streets. A man walking 2 Pitbulls on other side of street on solid link tow chains . Those 2 dogs wanted to kill my dog. Reared up on back legs barking and trying to get free from owner. I carry a Surefire flashlight on night walks , turned it on and with other hand i cradled Beretta Tomcat .32 in pocket Those dogs wanted blood and owner had a hard time keeping them contained. We continued walking down the street and nothing happened but for a second I thought all hell was about to break lose.

Glad your lab is okay. Could have been a lot worse. I've only gotten bit once. By a Beagle lol.

Edited by turkeyfeathers

I hate those rat dogs too, but when considering the potential for injury if a pit or a rottweiler chomps down on your arm the only way you'll be able to get them off is by shooting them. One of those little rat dogs if it bit you just flick it and it'll die. And let me end by stating that not every single pit bull is a bad dog, I know one in particular that is very sweet. That said if you know your dog is aggressive towards other people/other dogs then you should do more to attempt to contain said dog. Also comparing dogs to guns is absurd. Guns are inanimate objects, dogs are living breathing creatures each with their own personality and if one decides it doesn't want to listen and attack someone there won't be much short of ending its life/incapacitating it to prevent that from happening.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by The Jerkman

It is easy to blame the owner or the breed...but in such cases ..especially if it is out of the dogs character in general...one needs to look at the breeder..This is the biggest aspect of buying pure breds that is so over looked ...references..you have to ask and then check on dogs that have gone out to homes already..A professional breeder will have no problem giving them. Also look to breeders that breed for temperament not type..unless you plan on showing..breeding for type has many problems,hips,breathing,etc...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1