25-06 For Deer?

DirtTime

Neighbor bought one for his gf a few years ago ,she brought it over to my range and sighted it in and ended up taking a nice 8 pt with it from a ladder.. her stock is pink camo but it does the job with the right bullet very well,imo.

Those that have and shot one how is the recoil compared to a .243 with 90gr. bullet? I would like to get one for my wife (actually just an excuse for another gun) and she currently uses a .243 and is a complete recoil wuss. Although she has shot her 1187 20 gauge for deer she likes that .243 more. Hunting where we do there are some nice sized bear and I'm afraid that .243 wouldn't be enough if given the opportunity.

For the recoil sensitive with bear in mind I would go for a 7mm-08 . 25-06 is a good cartridge but in my opinion doesn't do anything that another better know cartridge doesn't do as well or better. I have one and can't remember the last time I shot it. Like I said nothing wrong with them and the recoil isn't bad at all but for a woman or youth I would go with a 7mm-08 as a "step up" from a 243.

• Like 3

For the recoil sensitive with bear in mind I would go for a 7mm-08 . 25-06 is a good cartridge but in my opinion doesn't do anything that another better know cartridge doesn't do as well or better. I have one and can't remember the last time I shot it. Like I said nothing wrong with them and the recoil isn't bad at all but for a woman or youth I would go with a 7mm-08 as a "step up" from a 243.

Thanks, I'll look into one of them. My FIL has one but I have never shot it, maybe this summer I'll get the wife to take a couple shots with it. 

My other deer rifle is 7mm-08 and I love that rifle.

I couldn't pass the price on the Axis XP Stainless for the price!

The lower recoil will be great for the g/f if she decides to get into hunting.

It also depends on if you want short or long action chas0218. 

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Law, question for you. No ill intent intended. From what I have read, the 25-06 is really right up there with a .270.

Is the .260 really more on the .270 side or the 25-06 side on ballistics and energy?

I am asking as like I said, never owned a q/b and the .260 seems over shadowed by the 7mm-08.

Gotta be careful choosing some calibers as the more uncommon ammo is hard to find in some stores .

* 25-06 very difficult to get sometimes and is more expensive than others . I reload for that.

* I know we are talking rifles but ...... I have a 7-30 waters barrel on my TC ( 7mm bullet in a 30-30 necked down cartridge) . The only company that manufactured this ammo is FEDERAL . So , again , I reload .

I don't recall seeing any .260 ammo in Dicks . 

• Like 1

Law, question for you. No ill intent intended. From what I have read, the 25-06 is really right up there with a .270.

Is the .260 really more on the .270 side or the 25-06 side on ballistics and energy?

I am asking as like I said, never owned a q/b and the .260 seems over shadowed by the 7mm-08.

I recommended the 260 as an upward move to the 243 for a recoil sensitive (possibly) lady. 

But to your question............

6.5mm bullets are nothing to sneeze at.......I'd take a s/a 260 over a l/a 25-06 all day.

Lots of information out there to compare the 260 and 25-06 if you want to dig.  The 260 has better BC and you can get heavier bullets if you want.

Just one little link to peruse......

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/25-06-vs-260-deer-82124/

Bullets available for the 6.5mm..............(twice as many as the 25 caliber and much heavier selection)

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/916

Bullets available for the 25 caliber.............

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/915?

In the end, it won't really matter at all for most of us here on THIS forum.  :)   It's all just for a good time!

• Like 1

Rob - Your original post was about a 25-06 . It will do the job . Good choice . Git 'r done ! 

True.

I was just asking why Law would rather shoot the .260.

I am more then happy with the 25-06. It seems very versatile. I am not sure I would use it for black bear, seems a bit light but that's just my personal opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

My top three life's regrets are:

1- never playing World Series Poker

2- never shacking up with a natural red head ;-)

3- selling my 25-06

Of the three the only one I could really control was the last.  I will preface it the following way, after taking my big black bear this past year in a stand where I should have only seen deer, I was much happier about having a 30-06 with me.  However for deer size game, a well constructed bullet at those speeds is awesome.  Of the four or five deer I took with that little poison pill spitter, none took more than two or three next steps.  In the case of lungs, it turned them into something between jelly and gravy when they were dressed out.  Its a great round and I'll likely own another one.  Texas whitetail hunters love it and sand goat shooters swear by them.  Roy Weatherby used the 25-06 as the basis for his 257 Wby Mag, which along with the 300 Wby were said to be his all-time favorite chambering.  So that 25-06 has a great story to tell.  I loaded mine with 117 gr SST heads which were too explosive for me, I switched over to Sierra's and things worked out better.  Enjoy it.  

• Like 4

My top three life's regrets are:

1- never playing World Series Poker

2- never shacking up with a natural red head ;-)

3- selling my 25-06

Of the three the only one I could really control was the last.  I will preface it the following way, after taking my big black bear this past year in a stand where I should have only seen deer, I was much happier about having a 30-06 with me.  However for deer size game, a well constructed bullet at those speeds is awesome.  Of the four or five deer I took with that little poison pill spitter, none took more than two or three next steps.  In the case of lungs, it turned them into something between jelly and gravy when they were dressed out.  Its a great round and I'll likely own another one.  Texas whitetail hunters love it and sand goat shooters swear by them.  Roy Weatherby used the 25-06 as the basis for his 257 Wby Mag, which along with the 300 Wby were said to be his all-time favorite chambering.  So that 25-06 has a great story to tell.  I loaded mine with 117 gr SST heads which were too explosive for me, I switched over to Sierra's and things worked out better.  Enjoy it.  

If it's any consolation, I have "known" 3 redheads. All three were "boil your pet bunny in a pot" kind of psycho. 

• Like 4

For all of you who have taken deer with the 25-06, how does it perform at closer ranges???? Say 50 yards and closer.

I've taken almost all of mine at 30-70 yds with the 25 and that little bullet hits them HARD. The shock makes them stiffen up and they're hardly able to tight leg it a few steps if they walk at all. I've never taken a second shot with my 25 because you can see the deer's reaction and know its not going anywhere. Ive shot quite a few with 30-06 also and sometimes they run off seemingly untouched, not with the 25.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Same results here, dated 4 or 5 of them in the past.

If it's any consolation, I have "known" 3 redheads. All three were "boil your pet bunny in a pot" kind of psycho. 

not sure if this counts.  my now wife had an attempt to dye her hair blonde or some other color.  ended up turning into a red head from some reaction with her hair to the dye.  she was definitely a lunatic for the time being.  could've been that her hair was Ronald McDonald red but anything other than her being a red head is pure speculation.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a bit old but I love the info here folks. Glad I searched for any threads on the 25-06. I am also looking for my 1st hunting rifle & was also leaning towards a 25-06 & there's great info here. Now does anyone have a preferred rifle brand for this caliber?